News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Aronomink GC
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
Every couple of years I write a post saying that Aronimink is an egregiously under-appreciated course. Well, I'm baaaack.

The front nine is one of Ross's best. The back nine is plenty good. Tell me again why it isn't a strong third in Philly (after PV and Merion) and why it shouldn't have a higher national ranking? And that's before undoing the out of character RTJ 17th. Is it about having too many highly ranked courses in one metro area not called New York or Long Island? Because it can't be about the course itself. It is very, very good.

Bob

Mac Plumart

Re: Aronomink GC
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »
Well Bob, I've been traveling and haven't seen the tournament or the course.  But now I am back in my living room (playing Dog-opoly with my kids) with the tournament on tv in HD and the course looks stunningly good.  And based on how I am seeing these pros handle the course, it seems like it plays every bit as good as it looks.  I would love to hear people weigh in who've played it and others in the area.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »
"Tell me again why it isn't a strong third in Philly (after PV and Merion) and why it shouldn't have a higher national ranking?"

Bob:

It probably is. It isn't as if most Philadelphians have never said that it wasn't.

It may be because ironically, for a course built in the end of the Golden Age, Aronimink really is or can be or seems quite different to many of us than just about all the rest of the courses around here that are considered to be the top tier in this era most all of which are Golden Age but earlier.

For me personally, although I hadn't exactly thought of it before, I guess I like some kind or degree of "quirk" or "old fashionedness" in architecture in various ways and Aronimink doesn't have that.

But so what? Also, these tour guys are doing what we thought they would; they are absolutely bombing it and the fairway bunkering really isn't all that much of a deal to them.

So I guess what we are left with to truly appreciate about Aronimink and its architecture is all about is those greens, their contours, their shapes and their surrounds. Most around here have always admitted they might be Ross's best ever and it looks like that is what's being shown this week at the AT&T. Even with short irons in their hands clearly these guys are having to play some very careful strategic golf or they know they will pay for even minor mistakes.

I was even wondering if some of the pins are maybe a bit near over the top but on careful inspection and consideration it doesn't seem so and these guys haven't said that yet and you know if they think it they really do say it.

JR Potts

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
Direct quote via text from my buddy playing with Tiger today.

"Best course of the year.  Pure golf.  Love it."

Sure looks good on TV.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
Having played Aronomink many times over the years, since 1956, I still seem to forget many of the holes.  Not so at Philly Country, Gulph Mills or Merion East and West.

Could this be an answer to your question ?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
Direct quote via text from my buddy playing with Tiger today.

"Best course of the year.  Pure golf.  Love it."

Sure looks good on TV.

Your buddy (D.A. Points) had a classic line to a youngster yesterday that asked him during the round what D. A. stood for.  He replied:  "Don't ask".
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
 Hey, Joe! Where's the attribution?
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »
 Bob,

I think it is a question of viewing the entire hole . The competition for the spots just below Pine Valley is intense and the other courses seem to have more going on from the tee. Aronimink certainly has awesome greens but lacks the topography beginning at  the tee seen in those Flynn courses.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:09:25 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
Hey, Joe! Where's the attribution?

Thanks Mike!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
Makes one wonder how much the feeling of love have to do with how people feel about a given course when others are simply respected.

I believe Aronimink is in the latter category -- likely it's because people have more of an affinity for the Flynn layouts.

Agreed, the course does look good on the tube.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »
Matt,
What are you trying to get at with your 'Mink posts?

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
So I'm back on here from Salters Point, after a great play at Fishers and Kittansett, wondering about my remarks about Aronomink.

I stay on my memory of the course !  I see more of Fishers, first time, than I did of Aronomink GC in a lot of years.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 03:43:58 AM »
Having played Aronomink many times over the years, since 1956, I still seem to forget many of the holes.  Not so at Philly Country, Gulph Mills or Merion East and West.

Could this be an answer to your question ?
Willie,

That pretty much sums up my opinion about Aronomink as well.  Beautifully maintained but lacking something that I cannot put my finger on.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back