News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Re: Telephone Conversation with an Architect
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
You guys sound like a bunch of girls at lunch! Padraig, enough already, just name the architect and get on with your humiliation of him. I don't think his actions are any worse than yours with starting this thread.

To be honest Kelly I don't want to name the architect. It never was my intention to humililate. The reason behind the thread was to discover possible reasons as to why he would criticise another architect without even knowing what was being suggested.

We all have our own personal biases, I have been avoiding playing a nearby course after hearing quite a few poor reports on it but shouldn't I really go, play it and make my own judgement rather then saying I heard bad reports on the course when it comes up in conversation.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
shouldn't I really go, play it and make my own judgement rather then saying I heard bad reports on the course when it comes up in conversation.

Padraig:

As of now you have what the politicians call "plausible denial".  If you go and see for yourself, you will have to have an opinion!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »
shouldn't I really go, play it and make my own judgement rather then saying I heard bad reports on the course when it comes up in conversation.

Padraig:

As of now you have what the politicians call "plausible denial".  If you go and see for yourself, you will have to have an opinion!

Tom

It's much more fun to have an opinon rather than sitting on the fence, now whether the opinion will be informed is a whole other ball game (to throw in another cliche!)

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

paul cowley

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
I think its interesting to note that the ASGCA's code of ethics proscribes against maligning fellow GCArchs in the course of competing for a job....under penalty of removal from the Society.

I feel this is a good thing....even if it exists only in theory at times.

At least it sets a high standard.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
Paul:

That may be what the code says, but we both know that it isn't always enforced.  Heck, Mr. Nicklaus is IN PRINT saying that I don't understand golf well enough to design a great course ... have you taken action against him yet?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
I think its interesting to note that the ASGCA's code of ethics proscribes against maligning fellow GCArchs in the course of competing for a job....under penalty of removal from the Society.

From what I have seen and heard I would suggest that the code of ethics for the ASGCA should be limited to one statement... "Do whatever you feel is necessary to get the job"...

Sorry but that has been my experience and certainly not limited ot the dinner story above.

Paul Cowley; I think you were at the restaurant that evening, not at our table but perhaps at another along with Pete Rose and his entourage that incuded several young ladies that prmpted me to change seating arrangements at our table.  ;)

paul cowley

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Tom....I should have been more specific in that the code proscribes against demeaning fellow MEMBER GCArchs of the Society....and as a non member you don't qualify to take action against Mr Nicklaus.

But as always I would be proud and pleased to sponsor you for membership in the ASGCA....pretty please!...with sugar on top!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:51:10 PM by paul cowley »

paul cowley

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »
thanks Greg....you sometimes I get a feeling that I have another very interesting life that I'm really not aware of. ;)

Happy Forth and I hope you and all are well south of the border.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
Tom....I should have been more specific in that the code proscribes against demeaning fellow MEMBER GCArchs of the Society....and as a non member you don't qualify to take action against Mr Nicklaus.

But as always I would be proud and pleased and to sponsor you for membership in the ASGCA....pretty please!...with sugar on top!  ;)

Oh my! From my experience that would eliminate 75% of the topics of conversation brought up by architects pitching their services though there are a few very distinguished exceptions, most very popular here on GCA.

Does anyone really believe they can land a gig by telling the money people how bad sos and so is or how so and so will maybe never step foot on your property?????? Apparently so.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
thanks Greg....you sometimes I get a feeling that I have another very interesting life that I'm really not aware of. ;)

Happy Forth and I hope you and all are well south of the border.

Wasn't you? Too bad the "other Paul Cowley" looked to be having a great time while we were being spoken to as though we were 5 year olds who would not stop soiling themselves.

Funny, I had actually forgotten today was the 4th!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
Paul:

Apparently my own code of ethics is a bit stricter than ASGCA's, as mine applies the same to everyone.

paul cowley

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 01:39:08 AM »
....mine too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:20:36 AM by paul cowley »

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »

Paul,
Has anyone ever been removed for such?

how u durin? ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
Mike....don't know....paging Jeff Brauer...he should have something to say I'm sure.

But I'm glad it's in there....even if its not effective!

As for what I'm durin the past 5 months;

Recently lost a 9 holer in Montana to Johnny Miller.

Applied for and was accepted by BP for an oil cleanup job in LA....went there and got accreditation...but nothing materialized...and went home.

Have been accepted for two equipment operator jobs on golf courses...but waiting for the go ahead.

Doing misc. land planning for jobs that aren't going anywheres soon both here and abroad!

Planted and harvesting my largest garden in decades....but you know that my Face book friend!

Strange times indeed!

How about you my friend?

Mike_Young

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 08:30:57 PM »
Paul,
Still have some scraps working but am working on my Fa Tass clothing line and started to manage some courses.  And am now doing more male modeling than usual....email me when you have time....may have an idea...MWY
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

paul cowley

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
....oh, and am filing a patent for the treatment and cure of Rosacea this week....this has been in the works for three years, just didn't get serious til the times got weird....come on down and see me and listen to Bill. Bring cash.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »
PC,

To be honest, I don't think anyone has ever been thrown out of ASGCA for that clause specifically.  But truthfully, some guys have been called on the carpet, had official hearings, etc. and by all accounts, it changed their behavior for the better.

Its often hard to discern exactly what negative things one gca may have said about another.  Its not like some young buck goes out and publishes those kinds of things in a book where we can read them in black and white you know! ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

paul cowley

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
thanks jeff....you are the MAN of the asgca....and one of those I heard on the short list for the tejas course...good luck my friend!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:17 AM »
PC,

I'll need it. Working on the dogs and pony right now before heading off to bed.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back