News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Telephone Conversation with an Architect
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
A couple of months ago an architect, we'll call him Mr. A, rang me up at the club. I thought I'd relay the brief conversation we had, without giving any details on the people involved, as I found it quite entertaining on the day.

Mr. A: It that PD?
PD: Yes
Mr. A: I'm Mr. A, I'm a golf course architect.
Mr. A: I hear you are looking to do some work on the Golf Course.
PD: Yes
Mr A: I would like to tender for the work.
PD: We have already chosen the architect and now are looking at contractors for the work, approval for the work and then will finalise the contractor after getting approval.
Mr. A: It's unusual that you haven't tendered for the Architect.
PD: We have a long relationship with (the Architecture Firm) and are very happy with them.
Mr. A: I think you are making a big mistake not tendering for the Architect.
PD: We felt as we have such a good relationship with (the Architecture Firm) and since they have a very good body of work we didn't need to look elsewhere.
Mr. A: I think you are making a big mistake going with (the Architecture Firm)
PD: I don't think XGC (here in Ireland) and YGC (halfway around the world) think they made a mistake.
Mr. A: XGC think they have made a mistake.
PD: I think they're very happy
Mr. A: YGC think they have made a mistake.....

I was about to ask him who he knew in YGC when the phone line went dead and he didn't ring back.

What I found entertaining was, how did he think that arguing with me and telling me that we had made a mistake in choosing our architect would lead to him getting work from us?

I knew who he was from the start of the conversation, he would never have come close to a shotlist of candidates for the job. I was, however, interested in what he would have had to say. As the conversation progressed, I was also interested in having a bit of a debate, but alas it was cut short.

Around the same time another couple of architects called expressing an interest in the job but as soon as they heard an architect was already chosen, they recinded their interest.

Why would this guy have kept on arguing? I found out shortly afterwards that our chosen firm were brought in to clean up some mistakes he had made. But badmouthing another firm to potential clients won't lead to too many employment opportunities?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Scott Warren

Re: Telephone Conversation with an Architect
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »
Is Hawtree the firm you're using?

http://www.hawtree.co.uk/HT_News.aspx?Page=3

So... now we just have to work out whose "mistakes" Hawtree has been altering and we know our man!

I'll hazard a guess that YGC is on the Melbourne Sandbelt?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:55:15 PM by Scott Warren »

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
Scott

I'm not going to reveal any names, but you could be on the right track and YGC could be in the Southern Hemisphere!!!

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »
Interesting that Hawtree says they are going to do some work on the Broadway Golf Course, a lovely but relatively undistinguished course at the top of the Cotswold escarpment above the Vale of Eavesham.  There are some terrific holes, especially on the older front nine, including some that run along the escarpment with amazing views.

It was, and purely by coincidence as I had brought no clubs and was a simple Cotswold tourist, my first course played in the UK.   Hopefully Sean Arble will keep an eye on the work for us.

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »
Padraig,

As a golf course is a collection of people with different opinions, it is often difficult to get a consensus opinion. 

There would be plenty of people, however, associated with YGC who believe that the club made a big mistake. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
Padraig,

As a golf course is a collection of people with different opinions, it is often difficult to get a consensus opinion. 

There would be plenty of people, however, associated with YGC who believe that the club made a big mistake. 

Sure David, you will always find people who are unhappy when changes are made, but I just used YGC in this example as I felt Mr A. would know very few people there and I would be able to find out the concensus opinion without too much trouble.

- Pablo Picasso

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
I just used YGC in this example as I felt Mr A. would know very few people there

I like it :)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
Padraig, with due respect, what is the purpose of this thread?  I've a few comments, but I'd like you to answer that basic question first.  I hope that the line doesn't go dead.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:53 AM »
Padraig, with due respect, what is the purpose of this thread?  I've a few comments, but I'd like you to answer that basic question first.  I hope that the line doesn't go dead.

Ronald, the purpose of the thread is why would an architect argue with someone he was looking to work for? Why would he tell them they were making a mistake without even knowing what was being suggested for the course?

- Pablo Picasso

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:16 AM »
That is what I was hoping to read from you.  Those are salient questions that take the physical architecture back to the personal...how it got there and what drove the architect to make it so.  My concern was with the high school-ish way of dangling "you might be"s out there.

Desperation in desperate times makes us react precipitously...there was a recent thread on Geoff Shackleford's site whereby the golf director of an esteemed private club took offense to something that GS had written and countered too quickly, without taking the time to revisit his words.  They came across as agrammatical and adolescent.  I didn't want that to happen to this thread.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:23:54 AM »
PD,

I agree with you that there is no point in arguing with a potential client as a sales tool.  For that matter, there is no good to be had in bad mouthing the competition either.  I think that his happening more in this economy though.  At least, the last couple of big jobs I got, the owners specifically mentioned that my team was the only one NOT to bad mouth the competition and it was a factor in our hiring.

Over the years, I have always found that there is really little point in even trying to push your way in for even an interview if they are reluctant.  They always have some kind of preconcieved views on who they want, and it is rare (although not unheard of) that salesmanship can change their minds.

That said, all gca's are human and need to sell projects on a regular basis to survive and support families.  Thus, sometimes we make mistakes and push too hard.  From the sounds of it, this instance is just one of those times where the gca pushed just a little too hard, less as a regular and more of a new to this economy technique.  Believe me, the gca's and clients on this board could probably share worse stories of "Architects Behaving Badly".  Hey, a new reality show is born! ;D

In the end, the projects I sell are the ones where they have a somewhat favorable impression of my previous work, and where I spend 100% of my sales time trying to show them how good I can make their project.  It is SO tough out there that even 1% negativism can kill a presentation of our services.  And, with the beat downs most of us get in the whole process, it is a natural human tendency to be at least a little negative! :-[
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »
"One difference between a successful person and an average person is how much criticism they can take." - Robert Kiyosaki ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

paul cowley

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 03:11:26 PM »
"One difference between a successful person and an average person is how much criticism they can take." - Robert Kiyosaki ;D

Dam....according to that I should be in gravy land instead of looking for work!

Sounds good Robert...but that's about it.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Ha - yes, Paul, a lot of pithy and succinct statements "sound good, but that's about it".

Maybe with Twitter that's all people can manage these days. (Hey - I just did the same thing!!)

Re the fellow who called Padraig - I assume there was no rhyme nor reason for what he was saying...just a guy who really needs the work and is feeling the pressure.  Ugh.

Peter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
Peter:

I wouldn't just subscribe it to the tough economy.  It is a small, competitive business full of massive egos, and there has always been a great deal of pettiness, thin skin, talking out of school, etc.

The other funny thing about it is that though many were offended by The Confidential Guide -- and some still are -- most defend their criticisms of other architects as being fair on the grounds that there are no real critics to call their competitors to account.  And, that's true.  When an architect is doing bad work it often takes a LOT of time for word to get around, if it ever does. 

At the same time, there are a few guys out there outside the societies going WAY over the line to tarnish others and promote themselves.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 04:04:40 PM »
I'd love to know what kind of personality you must have to call someone up, badmouth them, their colleagues, their decision processes, their collective assessment capabilities, their integrity and the work of FELLOW PROFESSIONALS and then EXPECT them to welcome you with open arms into a business relationship. Holy Kee-rap.

Padraig, call the guy back and refer him to his local FE College - Marketing 101 Course.

Is this gifted professional a member of EIGCA perchance? Maybe a call to them might help put him on the right path...

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
Thanks, Tom. I learned 4 new things from your post -- three of them came as a big surprise to me, and at least one of those deserves its own thread.  But I don't think I'll start it...

Peter
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:53:01 PM by PPallotta »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
This case sounds over the top - as the hired architect and club are very familiar with each other and seem to both be qualified professionally.

There are a number of potential clients that have no idea how to hire an architect and are completely unaware of architecture or even what it means to play golf.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Stories like this remind me of one of my few acquired wisdoms after 19 years un self-employed. People can experience the same exact conversation and come away with completely different recollections as to what actually occurred. It never ceases to amaze me how many times I've been in meeting with future clients and walked out with completely different reads of the meeting as my business partner at the time.

And I say this as someone who is routinely WRONG in his recollection. I am flat-out lousy at reading people in live meetings.

So maybe a little reflection is in order. Maybe the conversation was not as clear-cut as remembered. Or maybe the person from the losing firm was just a bit more driven by emotion than reason. Who knows? Only those involved. There's a reason hearsay is generally disregarded in court.

Best of luck to everyone involved.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
I'd love to know what kind of personality you must have to call someone up, badmouth them, their colleagues, their decision processes, their collective assessment capabilities, their integrity and the work of FELLOW PROFESSIONALS and then EXPECT them to welcome you with open arms into a business relationship. Holy Kee-rap.

Padraig, call the guy back and refer him to his local FE College - Marketing 101 Course.

Is this gifted professional a member of EIGCA perchance? Maybe a call to them might help put him on the right path...

cheers,
FBD.

Martin

I don't think he is a member of EIGCA, he's been around a long enough time, so maybe the old dog and new tricks might apply.

I'd guess one of the main points of the thread is that we all have our own personal biases and that we have to strive to overcome them and take each individual case on it's merits.

The funny thing is that even as Mr. A was critical of our choice of architect and would never have gotten us to change our minds, if he had wanted to come to the course, I would have toured around with him and listened to his thoughts.

- Pablo Picasso

Mike_Young

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »
Peter:

I wouldn't just subscribe it to the tough economy.  It is a small, competitive business full of massive egos, and there has always been a great deal of pettiness, thin skin, talking out of school, etc.

The other funny thing about it is that though many were offended by The Confidential Guide -- and some still are -- most defend their criticisms of other architects as being fair on the grounds that there are no real critics to call their competitors to account.  And, that's true.  When an architect is doing bad work it often takes a LOT of time for word to get around, if it ever does. 

At the same time, there are a few guys out there outside the societies going WAY over the line to tarnish others and promote themselves.

Tom,
I think it happens within the societies also.... ;)

MWY

But overall Golf architecture is the wild west when it comes to selling....most guys that get pissed and try to come in after a decision were late in the first place.....

The funny thing to watch i in this business is the guy with 3 or 4 degrees..a bunch of pictures....resume of working for big firm....no talent and no ability to sell...they basically say "it's not fair"

But clubs need to remember it is a complex sale also....for instance an architect that does his own construction will be lambasted by larger general contractors and architects that just draw and oversee....and that construction firm will also make sure they only recommend architects that will recommend them....so many economical deals go by the wayside....

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Padraig, This does not surprise me at all. I'll add this entertaining experience.

Having a wonderful dinner at one of Cabo's finest restaurants with an unnamed architect, his design associate, a well respected golf writer and our CEO.

The topic turns to future golf courses at our resort for which the architect would like to be considered. We disuss the concept and the routing that had been presneted by a top associate of a well known design firm with no guarantee that this firm would get the job.

Upon hearing that the routing was complete and after a wonderful appetizer the architect turns to our CEO and with some strong emotion states "you would have to be a f-ing idiot to hire INSERT WELL KNOWN for your next course."  

The reply was perhpas more kind than it should have been and noted that nobody had been hired based on the routing to which angry architect responds "who the hell is INSERT ROUTING GUY NAME? Did he ever win the INSERT MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP WON BY ANGRY ARCHITECT?"

Once again slightly less polite yet still professional and hoping that the miain course would not end up being used for purposes other than eating, the response was that while the routing guy may not have won a major championship he was nonethless a fine golfer in his own right and a rather well respected person in the industry and someone for whom we had a great amount of respect for.

Amazing dinner to say the least and not one I wish to experience again. By the way outside this dinner I have found angry architect to be quite entertaining and quite the eloquent speaker, but passionate to a fault if that is possible.

Routing guy posts here semi-frequently and should get a good laugh from my telling of this story even though one of his protege's was subjected to the dinner scene in his role as the Design Associate for angry architect.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:36:35 PM by Greg Tallman »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 08:22:59 PM »
Nice story, Greg,
and once again marvellous evidence why this industry is FUBB.
I love Major winners, cos they know everything. Aren't we such lucky people to be allowed to be among the Gods.

yes,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

paul cowley

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
Padraig, This does not surprise me at all. I'll add this entertaining experience.

Having a wonderful dinner at one of Cabo's finest restaurants with an unnamed architect, his design associate, a well respected golf writer and our CEO.

The topic turns to future golf courses at our resort for which the architetc would like to be considered. We disuss the concept and the routing that had been presneted by a top associate of a well known design form with no guarantee that this firm would get the job.

Upon hearing that the routing was complete and after a wonderful appetizer the architect turns to our CEO and with some strong emotion states "you would have to be a f-ing idiot to hire INSERT WELL KNOWN for your next course."  

The reply was perhpas more kind than it should have been and noted that nobody had been hired based on the routing to which angry architect responds "who the hell is INSERT ROUTING GUY NAME? Did he ever win the INSERT MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP WON BY ANGRY ARCHITECT?"

Once again slightly less polite yet still professional, hoping that the miain course would not end up being used for purposes other than eating, the response was that while the routing guy may not have won a major championship he was nonethless a fine golfer in his own right and a rather well respected person in the industry and osomeone for whom we had a great amount of respect for.

Amazing dinner to say the least and not one I wish to experience again. By the way Ioutside this dinner I have found angry architect to be quite entertaining and quite the eloquent speaker, but passionate to a fault if that is possible.

Routing guy posts here semi-frequently and should get a good laugh from my telling of this story even though one of his protege's was subjected to the dinner scene in his role as the Design Associate for angry architect.

Greg...was I there at dinner? Sometimes tequilla gives me blackouts.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back