News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re: "GOLFERS'" Club Roll Call!
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »

Ballyhack

Sutton Bay

Kanawha

Lester

mike_beene

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
Whispering Pines. They even will leave you a range setup if you want to hit some after dinner.

Sean Leary

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
Um, Pine Valley? Cypress Point?

Am I missing something?

Locally here in Seattle, Aldarra.

This is the only time you will see these three names in one post. :)

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
5.  WELL CONDITIONED GOLF COURSE

Give me a break! Real men don't play well-conditioned!

After well-conditioned, the next thing you will want to do is play lift clean and cheat!

"Well Conditioned" is a bad choice of words.  How about "reasonably conditioned" meaning 99% turf coverage
that is mowed!   :)  

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 01:02:53 PM »

Am I missing something?

I don't think Augusta, Pine Valley and Cypress Point should qualify.  The $ to
get in and be a member is irrelevant.  But if they are more concerned with
your business acumen, politics and pedigree than your love for the game...
then they wouldn't qualify as the kind of "gollfers' clubs" I am looking for in
this thread.

Of course I have no idea what I am talking about since I am unfamiliar with
their membership policies.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Whisper Rock
The Palms

John Shimp

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
Does too much frill and service take away from a true golfers club?  Dothe simplest most bare bones clubs like many of the british clubs typify a golf club more than say a Sage Valley where its about the golf but its also about the high level of service. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »

Am I missing something?

I don't think Augusta, Pine Valley and Cypress Point should qualify.  The $ to
get in and be a member is irrelevant.  But if they are more concerned with
your business acumen, politics and pedigree than your love for the game...
then they wouldn't qualify as the kind of "gollfers' clubs" I am looking for in
this thread.

Of course I have no idea what I am talking about since I am unfamiliar with
their membership policies.

Makes sense. Many other clubs people  have been proposing would fall under the same catagory.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
I was under the impression that PV was very interested in the quality of prospects' games.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »
"The Mother Ship of GOLFERS Clubs is Bethpage Black..."

Thank you Mike! I was loathe to make that comment because all would have simply thought "there goes Phil about the Black again..." But since you did, you are right. Bethpage is all about golf. Even from its original opening when there were many other facilties within its bounds, those who played tennis didn't play golf. The play fields and baseball, football fields, etc... were ther so that entire families could come out and so allow dad an ability to play golf.

Bethpage is a golfer's PARADISE...

Is Bethpage a club?  I had understood it was a public course and that the golfers who played were not members of a "club".  I'm sure it's all about golf but that doesn't make it a golfers' club.  If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

Exactly my thoughts, Mark.

He joins his fancy English club and he forgets his roots!  ;)

Mr Whit,

When you get that place in Brooklyn, I am going have Marty Markowitz (you can Google him) teach you about New York.

Nassau Players Club is probably one of the 5 hardest clubs to get into on Long Island:

http://www.nassauplayers.org/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
I was under the impression that PV was very interested in the quality of prospects' games.

Agreed.

jim_lewis

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2010, 03:14:24 PM »
Roger:

I agree that tennis courts and pools can be ok, but only if they can not be seen from the golf course(s).

Forest Creek qualifies, at least until we complete our fancy new club house. We may have some wedding receptions then.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »
I've also heard that Alotian outside of Little Rock, AR is this type of club.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
Sheridan Park municipal, Tonawanda NY :)

Meets all the requirements, and has hosted a USGA national championship!  (the '62 USGA Publinx)

Trevor

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »
Roger:

I agree that tennis courts and pools can be ok, but only if they can not be seen from the golf course(s).

Forest Creek qualifies, at least until we complete our fancy new club house. We may have some wedding receptions then.

Along with introducing myself (this is my first post); I'll note that while there are 2 tennis courts visible from the 18th fairway at Yeamans Hall, there's certainly no tennis program/pro, I have never seen anyone use them, and they have several plant species growing on them from time to time!
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »
"The Mother Ship of GOLFERS Clubs is Bethpage Black..."

Thank you Mike! I was loathe to make that comment because all would have simply thought "there goes Phil about the Black again..." But since you did, you are right. Bethpage is all about golf. Even from its original opening when there were many other facilties within its bounds, those who played tennis didn't play golf. The play fields and baseball, football fields, etc... were ther so that entire families could come out and so allow dad an ability to play golf.

Bethpage is a golfer's PARADISE...

Is Bethpage a club?  I had understood it was a public course and that the golfers who played were not members of a "club".  I'm sure it's all about golf but that doesn't make it a golfers' club.  If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

Exactly my thoughts, Mark.

He joins his fancy English club and he forgets his roots!  ;)

Mr Whit,

When you get that place in Brooklyn, I am going have Marty Markowitz (you can Google him) teach you about New York.

Nassau Players Club is probably one of the 5 hardest clubs to get into on Long Island:

http://www.nassauplayers.org/

Mike,

I do look forward to meeting Mr. Markowitz with you, however, I should disclose that Nancy and I will be residing in lower Manhattan, not Brooklyn.

As for the NPC... it might be a great golf club, but they seem delinquent in maintaining their website. They could learn a thing or two from the Greenville Golfing Society.  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
Sewickley Heights Golf Club in Pittsburgh

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2010, 07:19:08 PM »
I should disclose that Nancy and I will be residing in lower Manhattan, not Brooklyn.

Double sell out !! Aunt Mary Kay Gallagher takes a BIG hit !! (She is more Googleable than Donnie.  ;))

Should Dylan and I meet you at Trump National Golf Club on the Fancy Coast of My Distant Relatives in Scotland Golf Club next month !! LOL

Sorry but if there are not at least three or four "Pizza Man"(s) in a golf club, then it is not a GOLFERS club.

Another addition, it is a big place but with 10+ priest and the Mayor of Mamaroneck, NY as a member, Winged Foot is a GOLFERS club.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:22:49 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Robert_Ball

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
Valley Club of Montecito

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
Dan Herrmann,...you are so funny, but correct.  They take their golf seriously at Sheridan.  However, I believe that two-mile creek qualifies as a (radioactive?) swimming hole.  Don't forget the softball fields and the playground nearby...what a majestic place is Sheridan Park.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
My home club of Great Southwest is golf only.  It started men only golf and only later did it get a women's locker room.  There is no pool or any of that, just golf and a casual dining area, and oh yes, the card room.

It has a reputation for fast play, which has spoiled my son from playing anywhere else.  For example, on Fathers Day, we played in 3.5 hours, and on a few occaisions, we slip out for a lunch time round, and it doesn't take longer than a three martini lunch to play 9 and get back to work.

Jeff I have to agree with Great Southwest, it really gets the job done and is only a few hundred yards it seems off the highway. I've had the pleasure of playing in some pretty serious games out there.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2010, 12:10:31 AM »
I should disclose that Nancy and I will be residing in lower Manhattan, not Brooklyn.

Double sell out !! Aunt Mary Kay Gallagher takes a BIG hit !! (She is more Googleable than Donnie.  ;))

Should Dylan and I meet you at Trump National Golf Club on the Fancy Coast of My Distant Relatives in Scotland Golf Club next month !! LOL

Sorry but if there are not at least three or four "Pizza Man"(s) in a golf club, then it is not a GOLFERS club.

Another addition, it is a big place but with 10+ priest and the Mayor of Mamaroneck, NY as a member, Winged Foot is a GOLFERS club.

I wish I could afford to live in Mrs. Gallagher's neighborhood. Even if I could I don't think she would let me in!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

hick

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
Wanumetonomy

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
OAKMONT

PINE TREE

SEMINOLE

HIDDEN CREEK

Mac Plumart

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
Askernish
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back