News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

The Blue at The Berkshire is allegedly the club's lesser course, but it still presents a great three hours of golf.

Perhaps it does possess a few of the weakest holes on the property (3 and 8 come to mind) but just the same I'd venture to say 6, 9, 11, 12, 13 and 16 are the equal of anything on The Red.

It certainly feels like a tougher test, though both tracks are rated at 70 (against a par of 72 on the Red and 71 on the Blue).

Most people I have spoken to who know the courses well actually prefer the Blue. Tom Doak, in the Confidential Guide, gave both courses a 6. Pretty high praise when you consider their surroundings.

1st - Par 3 - 217yds
And for your first shot after a long lunch you get to hit a fairway wood over a sea of heather to a green tucked in the corner of the property. Enjoy!

2nd - Par 4 - 340yds
Downhill, the green is driveable from the slightly forward members' tees, but the front-to-back slope needs consideration should you leave yourself with a tricky half wedge.

3rd - Par 5 - 475yds
One of the lesser holes, in my view, and not just because I chose this hole to hit the longest cold top in the history of golf (love those F&F conditions!!). Doglegs gently right to a largely unthreatening green.

4th - Par 3 - 153yds
Felt to me like a typical heathland par three, though I struggle to immediately recall many exactly like it. A good use of some flat land, however, with vicious front bunkers guarding a relatively sedate green.

5th - Par 4 - 330yds
Another that can very much be reached from the members' tees, but angle and consideration of the second shot are key, with the green so strongly angled to the right and the front guarded to the left by sand.

6th - Par 5 - 476yds
Doglegs to the left around a snaking creek that makes a nuisance of itself on the second shot.

7th - Par 4 - 364yds
Guarded on the inside of the dogleg - turning left - with a mound of rough, the challenge is to drive to within shsort iron territory so the imposing front bunkers can be less of a factor in the approach.

8th - Par 4 - 404yds
Long. Flat. Narrow. Say no more. Actually, I'll say a little more: The green is subtle in how much it heaves, but what gets you there is quite uninspiring.

9th - Par 4 - 310yds
All the short par fours might be geeting to feel a bit much by now were they not all quality golf holes. This one slips up the hill to a green that is likely to be sat above your eye line when you play your approach, with a narrow neck to accept the flushed tee shot, but you have to earn it.

10th - Par 3 - 199yds
Long enough that the downhill nature of the shot doesn't remove the option to run it once it pitches, and a smart little tilt of the green to have you wondering on the tee just how close to the pin you dare aiming.

11th - Par 5  - 477yds
A contender for best long hole on the property. The drive bends right, before a hook second to get close to or on the severly sloping green, with a "Z" shaped creek to carry.

12th- Par 4 - 355yds
The green is amazing and I am shattered I didn't get a pic. The back tierd is a good 4ft lower than the front, making a well-weighted approach essential.

13th - Par 3 - 154yds
Reminded me of a few of the one-shotters at Royal Wimbledon. A great hole to climb a gentle ridge, with an interestingly-shaped green.

14th - Par 4 - 363yds
The blind drive to a narrow fairways carries most of the drama, making way for a straight-forward second.

15th - Par 4 - 406yds
A great second shot to this long plateau green after a tempting downhill, dogleg left tee shot

16th - Par 4 - Never played it, but this green reminded me of 18 at Winged Foot West. The approach up the slope to a grand-looking green is one of the most memorable shots on the course.

17th - Par 4 - 378yds
A slightly innocuous hole, but not without challenge.

18th - Par 4 - 203yds
A far superior cloing hole to that on the Red, downhill drive, then an uphill approach to a green with bunkers two sides.

That's it. Short and sweet. I know the more encyclopaedic tours show every shot and demonstrate the course's merits a bit better, but I think this way you get the taste without ruining the surprise.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:55:04 AM by Scott Warren »

Tom_Doak

Re: The Berkshire (Blue) - The biggest little brother I ever met
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
I have always thought that first hole was a really fine opener.  And it comes in really handy when you need to do an eclectic of 18 par-3 holes.  But, the entire course seemed pretty good to me.  Maybe not quite as consistent in quality as the Red course, but it seemed like the best holes were better on the Blue.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Maybe not quite as consistent in quality as the Red course, but it seemed like the best holes were better on the Blue.

That's it in a nutshell, I reckon.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
Scott

What's with the stakes in the heather on # 1?

I reckon that's close to my favourite P3 opener anywhere. The Blue felt a little tighter on the drive in particular on many holes v The Red though I did prefer the former's closing holes as well.

One of my favourite places to spend a day golfing in England.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:35:43 AM »
I think those stakes are just for spotting purposes, to give you a reference point in locating your ball.

I agree the Blue feels tighter on the drive.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:12 AM »
I have always thought that first hole was a really fine opener.  And it comes in really handy when you need to do an eclectic of 18 par-3 holes.  But, the entire course seemed pretty good to me.  Maybe not quite as consistent in quality as the Red course, but it seemed like the best holes were better on the Blue.
I think that's spot on.

As to 8, I know whatv you're saying, Scott, but I quite like the hole, possibly because it's the only long, narrow, straight par 4 on the property and the green looks flat but has a lot going on.  Having seen how you and James got on on 9 hitting driver I'm going back to hitting a long iron off that tee.  I don't reckon that hole is driveable by mortals like us and I'm happier hitting that green from 80/90 yards back than 40/50 off an uphill lie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »
I have been fortunate to play those two course quite a lot.

They are both very good with some really interesting holes. In general the Red is a bit more varied which is mostly down to the fact that it uses the more hilly part of the property - combined with the more unique '3x6-routing' (6 par 3s, 6 par 4s and 6 par 5s).

The Blue is in my opinion a tougher course to score well on. As you mention there are some superior holes on the Blue if you compare them directly - most notably the finishing hole which on the Blue is one of the best holes on the course compared to the Red's which is one of its weakest.

I think it is justified to give them the same score as they are equally interesting in their own rights. The Red is a bit more fun with lots of birdie opportunities on many of the short par 5s. The Blue demands more accurate iron play and is slightly less scenic.

There are some great hazards on the Blue, e.g. the heather carry on the 1st and the hollow front left of the green on the 9th. However I feel there are more interesting and dramatic hazards on the Red due to the elevation changes and the possibilities it provides for some memorable green sites.

For me the Red is just that little bit more interesting.

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:43:21 AM »
Another good heathland photo thread, Scott.

There seems to be a fair mix of bunekerr styles with those on 7 and 10 looking significantly worse than many others.  As part of the upcoming renovation, do you know id they are they going to remodel the bunkers on the blue course, or just the red course?  

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:01:26 AM »
Those stakes do mess up the looks of that sea of heather.

Thanks for the photos.   Hard to believe the variety of bunker styles.

Philip Spogard

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 04:15:47 AM »
I know they renovated all the bunkers on both courses 2-3 years ago. Including a lot of reshaping.

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 04:23:29 AM »
As I understand it Tim Lobb will be looking at the bunkering across both courses.

There are some pretty unsightly traps on a few holes in the vein of the one I showed on 5 Red in my Red course thread, so there is the potential to make the course even better if they were woven in with the fantastic bunkering that exists, I guess we just have to sit back and see what he ends up doing.

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »
excuse my ignorance but whats the design history of the courses ?

Niall

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
Both are by Fowler, Niall.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
Members on the terrace bet on people hitting the green on the first, the accepted odds are equal to you handicap. I'd take 12-1 any day!!
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
That's because you should be at 5s or 6s...

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
Both are by Fowler, Niall.

thanks, I found out reading something else and then realised that I used to know that Fowler was responsible. Clearly early signs of senility setting in.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting these. I'm actually really glad you beat me to it and went for the one picture per hole format, as I was all geared up for an encylopaedicc photo tour. But as we both mentioned that we knew little of the course, rather than our usual searching out of everything we can find, I like the idea that other people will be able to discover the course for themselves as we did.

However you mentioned the 12th green, which was a pretty awesome green with a lower back tier, something I haven't seen very often on a tiered green, so here it is seen from the 13th tee (fairway is to the right of this picture):

Also, I thought it was worth posting the way that you find out if the blind tee shot on 14 is clear, a mirror mounted in a very tall pole:

And as others have said, Tom really nails it with this statement...
Maybe not quite as consistent in quality as the Red course, but it seemed like the best holes were better on the Blue.

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:04:47 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
Thanks Scott nice tour.  Is it me...or is it sometimes we see too many pictures that don't add to anything to what we've seen before.  I will do my next course review as a one pic hole thread.

Where's Mark Pearce? Until Mark joined the forum I used to feel like a lone voice saying how good the 36 hole day at the Berkshire is. Who cares whether x is slightly possibly better, this is a hell of a day out for the price of a single round on more famous courses.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 04:06:56 AM »
Tony,

That's me in the red shirt in Scott's picture of the 16th!  Happy to say I'm back at the Berkshire next week for another 36 holes and lunch. 

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 04:10:36 AM »
I'm sitting here thinking back to a week ago and the more I think about it, the more I think 11-16 on the Blue is the best stretch of golf on the property. 17 isn't too shabby either and 18 is a peach.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
I'm sitting here thinking back to a week ago and the more I think about it, the more I think 11-16 on the Blue is the best stretch of golf on the property. 17 isn't too shabby either and 18 is a peach.
I might extend that to include 9 and 10.  9's a really good short par 4, possibly the best on either course and 10 is a strong par 3.

Is there a club with 36 holes anywhere that has a more varied set of par 3s, I wonder?  Obviously the red, with its 6, gets a lot of attention for par 3s but the Blue with 1 (long, all carry, death short right and not much better left), 4 (as you say, almost an architypical short heathland par 3, except that I also can't think of another like it), 10 (longish, downhill and a much, much tougher green that it looks) and 13 (a wonderful short par 3, uphill, heavily bunkered and another trickier green than first appears) has an excellent set of par 3s in its own right.

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 05:53:11 AM »
True.

Sean commented in the Red thread that many would readily accept that Colt designed the courses. The par threes would go a long way toward that being so.

James Boon

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »
Thanks Scott nice tour.  Is it me...or is it sometimes we see too many pictures that don't add to anything to what we've seen before.  I will do my next course review as a one pic hole thread.

Where's Mark Pearce? Until Mark joined the forum I used to feel like a lone voice saying how good the 36 hole day at the Berkshire is. Who cares whether x is slightly possibly better, this is a hell of a day out for the price of a single round on more famous courses.

Tony,

Your first point about just having one photo per hole is exactly the point I made earlier. I think I did a couple of photo tour threads where I just added more and more photos, till I did the one for Painswick that probably had view of tee shot, view of left side approach, view of right side approach, view of green from in front and behind, probably a detail or a view of the hole in wider context, and as I go so many compliments I started doing every tour like that. Time to cut back me thinks and leave the sense of discovery to the player...

And as for where's Mark, here he is...

and the Cardinal...

and Mr Happy...

and finally your truly...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
That's a great photo of you, Boon. Who took that?!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back