News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Re: Keith Foster's Omaha CC re-do makes it's competitive debut
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:28 PM »
When was it first built and by whom?

edit; Never mind, I went to their website (duh).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:15:40 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mitchell Schneringer

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »
Adam,

OK, different opinions is what makes the world interesting.  I must add a bit more description of my previous comment, as I was not trying to imply severity makes a course great.  I was simply trying to describe what makes OCC and Firethorn difficult golf courses. 

I'm still of the opinion that WH is a very, very good golf course...but I don't truly feel it's great.  I'm not sure exactly why, but to me I wouldn't describe it as "architecturally top notch."  Obviously you feel very different than me.  For the price, it's one of the best values in U.S. golf.  In comparison to the courses I've played in Scotland, it's far down the list in terms of greatness.  I'm not claiming to be an expert though, just making a statement based on my opinion. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
Me too Mitchell. The principles found in Gothenburg are fundamentally sound. The freedom to choose the way to attack being the major difference between a typical parkland layout. That openness also causes the better golfer doubt on exactly where to play their shot is another great attribute. Similar to one of the design principles Jones and Mackenzie employed at ANGC, WH is that good from an architectural stand point. It's variety of holes are a testament to the specific ground it traverses.   
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »
Tony, I'm curious about the tenth.   There is a very steep drop off in the fairway from the tee that's actually beyond what appears to be the end of the fairway in the photograph. There's another 50 yards of fairway down there that isn't visible in the photo.  The seniors might be forced to lay up off the tee to avoid reaching the creek since the ball turbo boosts off that hidden downslope.  The graphic appears to show tee shots carrying the creek but I'm guessing that's a 270 yards carry.    I seem to recall the hole calling for back to back shots of 260 and 240 with the latter being substantially uphill.   

Mike

Bogey -- A good point, maybe I'm out of line suggesting that. Again, I've never been to the course. Maybe they should just leave it as it then. Low score still wins! :-) I will be curious to see how the seniors handle this course come 2013. I have a slight feeling they may be able to go pretty low.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 01:16:52 PM »
Hurley, Hurley, Hurley.

O'Neill's John Hurley became a three time Nebraska Match Play winner Friday tying two hall of fame golfers, Lincoln's Larry Sock and Knox Jones, for the most state match play titles. Hurley defeated McCook's Brandon Crick 5 & 3 in the championship's 36-hole final at the Omaha Country Club.

Hurley took a 3 up lead following the morning session and quickly moved to 7 up winning holes 19, 20, 22 & 23 in the afternoon. Crick surged back with birdies on holes 24 and 25 and claimed hole 26 with par to trim the deficit to four but that's as close as he'd get. Hurley went dormie 6 up with 6 to play following the tournament's 30th hole (OCC's par 4 12th). Crick was able to extend the match for a couple more holes winning the 31st with birdie and the 32nd with a pitch in eagle but a bogey 4 on the 33rd sealed the deal.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
I'll stop beating you guys over the head with the Nebraska Amateur now that it's over. Texas A&M golfer John Hurley won the event as we've noted. It's bantered about in Nebraska about how he's a better kid than he is golfer. I think this picture and reporter Stu Pospisil's story cements that. I hope that Chambers Bay fits his eye and that we might see him play really well in Washington state.

It was a walk John Hurley will treasure as much as the trophy.

From the 15th green, where the O'Neill bomber completed a 5-and-3 victory Friday over Brandon Crick, to the Omaha Country Club clubhouse, over grass and on cart paths, Hurley walked alongside the wheelchair of hometown buddy Jesse Peetz, loving cup in hand.

Since a virus nearly four years ago caused Peetz, then a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, to lose the use of all of his extremities, he never had been able to watch fellow O'Neill St. Mary's grad Hurley rip apart a golf course.

Until Friday, when Peetz and his health aide, Wendy Boyden, showed up on the 16th hole of the morning round and stayed with Hurley the remainder of the match.

“I couldn't ask for much more than to have Jesse show up,'' Hurley said. “I talked to him last night on the Internet and he said he was really trying to come out here. It was good to see him.''

Hurley said he got so excited that he snap-hooked his next drive.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100702/SPORTS/707029794#golf-o-neill-star-repeats-at-match-play-tournament

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »
Great to see Keith Foster getting siuch rave reviews for his efforts there. Does plenty of interesting work but far little overall attention from a range of his original designs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back