News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Pinecroft Golf Course - Beulah, MI in pictures
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »
This afternoon I played Pinecroft Golf Course in Beulah, Michigan. Designed by Stone, Cole, Norman and Carlson (that sounds like a law firm). I played under threat of rain, so the pictures don't do much justice here. Like it's sister course nearby, Champion Hill, Pinecroft came off as minimalist, devoid of bent grass fairways and houses, natural looking sand traps, good movement and contour on the greens and an all around decent place to play a round. Although I am not aware of the property boundaries or restrictions, the architect(s) didn't appear to utilize the higher elevations that offered views of Crystal Lake to it's full capability. They placed the driving range at the top of the property for whatever reason. I felt as if they could have utilized a different routing for the last 4-5 holes to maximize the view of the lake.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:46:07 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Brent Carlson

Re: Pinecroft Golf Course - Beulah, MI in pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:19 AM »
Thanks for the photos Rich.  I had the chance to play there once.  Very nice views of the lake and it was a fun little track. 

Brian Cenci

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
nice little course but the Lee Stone course just down the road called Champion Hills is a much better track.  Pinecroft was one of my two high school home course tracks...haven't played it in 12 years probably....seeing some of those pics brings back a lot of memories.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »
I played the front 9 at Champion Hill and really enjoyed it. It was very minimalist, no bent grass fairways, fast and firm, fun holes and I found it fairly easy to overlook the few homes on or nearby some of the holes!
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
I enjoyed both Pinecroft and Champion Hills.  I liked Champion Hills a little bit more.  They thought I was nuts when I walked Pinecroft last summer, but I had a blast doing it.  Great pictures.

Have you ever made it up and played course up at Sugarloaf or Leland CC?

Thanks,
Chris

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
Yes, I played Sugarloaf Old Course (AKA Sleeping Bear) 2 years ago also. Is there a Leland CC??? Never heard of it. Played almost everything within 40 miles of TC except Kingsley Club (in July!), Chrystal Downs (hopefully soon), Traverse City CC and Spruce Run. Getting there...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back