News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Tanner

Re: Do you keep track of your architects?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »
Cory,

Throw in a few Russell Breeden's and Gene Hamm's and it's a dead giveaway!  ;)

The real giveaway for Mr. Carder's location was the inclusion of George Cobb, Charles Banks and Fred Findlay in his list. I'd wager that he's played The Golden Eagle at The Tides Inn and/or Red Wing Lake in Virginia Beach, the Cavalier Golf & Yacht Club in Va. Beach, and Bide-A-Wee in Portsmouth.

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

JWL

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
CJ
I can understand how you would have the Nicklaus Group as the designer of the Williamsburn National GC.
The club itself has always tried to market the course with the Nicklaus name association.   In fact, Jim Lipe is the architect for the course, and he was hired by Mike Sanders, who was the developer, and previous developer of the Pinehurst National GC (now called the National).   PN was a nicklaus Signature course, and Jim Lipe was the lead design associate on that course and developed a relationship with Mike Sanders, who also went on to develop Governor's Club in Chapel Hill, again with Jim Lipe as lead associate on that Nicklaus Signature course.    All of these happned in relative succession in the late 80's.   To set the record straight, no one other than Jim Lipe has ever set foot on the Williamsburg National property, so whether you like the course or not, Nicklaus Design or Group should not be given any credit whatsoever for that project.   Cheers

CJ Carder

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
Cory,

Throw in a few Russell Breeden's and Gene Hamm's and it's a dead giveaway!  ;)

The real giveaway for Mr. Carder's location was the inclusion of George Cobb, Charles Banks and Fred Findlay in his list. I'd wager that he's played The Golden Eagle at The Tides Inn and/or Red Wing Lake in Virginia Beach, the Cavalier Golf & Yacht Club in Va. Beach, and Bide-A-Wee in Portsmouth.

Of all the places I have played, I've never played The Golden Eagle or Bide-A-Wee.  And I've only caddied at Red Wing, never played there.  Did get to play Cavalier last year to see the restoration Lester George completed, which was very good.

But the real question is, why is everyone so fascinated with figuring out where I live?!?!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »
this is tougher than I thought, but with the help of Wikipedia and a slow day the following is my first crack at this:

Unknown Designer:  dozens
Nicklaus      33     biggest surprise
Stanley Thompson  25
Dick Wilson  25
RTJ     21
Palmer    16
Joe Lee   16
Rene Muylaert  14
Pete Dye  11
Tom McBroom 10
Old Tom   9+
Doug Carrick  8
Donald Ross   7
James Braid  7+
Ron Garl  6
A W Tillinghast  5
Emmett Devereux  5
William Flynn  5
Fazios  Tom 2  Jim 3  Jimmy 1
Art Hills  4
RTJ II   4+
Greg Norman 4
Bob Cupp 3
Dennis Grifith  2
Gary Player 2
H S Colt  2
Maples 2
Hurdzan Fry  2
Devlin 2
McLay Kidd 1
Doak 1
Couples 1
Floyd  .5

now that I'm nurding I am trying to determine my favourite course per designer.

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
An even more important list to me...

0 Mackenzie
0 Doak
0 Nuzzo
0 Brauer
0 Tom Morris

I could go on and on...but I am working on fixing this situation.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom Yost

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
I'm sort of embarrassed to report that my list is topped by Gary Panks and Greg Nash.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
CJ,

I've never kept a list. Just went by memory and came up with the following.

RTJ
Rees
RTJ jr
Fazio
Strange
Ault Clark
Strantz
L. George
J. Bauer
Tilly
Banks
Old Tom
Mackenzie
J Carr
Palmer
Dye
Nicklaus
Player
Ross
Cupp
Maples
Flynn
Watson
Colt
Simpson
Doak
Norman
Hills
Candler Egan
Wilson
Allison
Love
Coore Crenshaw
Garl
Hackett
Steel
Cobb
Weed
J. Lee

Missing:
Raynor
McDonald
Travis
Thomas
Maxwell

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:41:12 PM by Bill Gayne »

Stu Grant

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 10:05:57 PM »
I love topics like this where I hear about people other than myself who have golf spreadsheets with vast amounts of information.  I too track all of the courses that I've played with a column for architect.  My list is led by the following architects:

Thomas McBroom - 14
Donald Ross - 12
Tom Fazio - 8
Robert Trent Jones Sr. - 7
Stanley Thompson - 6
Graham Cooke - 6
William Byrd - 5
Rees Jones - 5
Michael Hurdzan - 5
Robert Trent Jones Jr. - 5
Doug Carrick - 5
Dan Maples - 5
Clyde Johnston - 5
A.W. Tillinghast - 4
Tom Doak - 4
Jack Nicklaus - 4
Rick Smith - 4

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »
Not until tonight. >:(

I do not have a list like this, but that said, seeing one makes me want to go back and make one, much the same as I sat down and counted/listed every course I had played in order to know exactly how many I was up to. Perhaps I will do this tonight and post it tomorrow.

John, you have a known archie for that fabled NLE Garner layout, Eaglecrest?

Is RGA Cobb?

Bet you can guess where I did my undergrad.

John Moore II

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »

I do not have a list like this, but that said, seeing one makes me want to go back and make one, much the same as I sat down and counted/listed every course I had played in order to know exactly how many I was up to. Perhaps I will do this tonight and post it tomorrow.

Is RGA Cobb?

I haven't looked up either of those, Eaglecrest was closed before I moved there, and I had forgotten I had ever played RGA. Yes, RGA is Cobb, so I can actually add that one to my list. Hmmm...one more logo ball to add to my collection. And Eaglecrest isn't listed in the database anymore for me to look up.

And yeah, I might have an idea where you did your undergrad schooling.

We're the Red and White from State and we know we are the best.....

An even more important list to me...

0 Mackenzie
0 Doak
0 Nuzzo
0 Brauer
0 Tom Morris

I could go on and on...but I am working on fixing this situation.

Yeah, I guess I could make one of those too: Zero for Mackenzie, Raynor, Tillinghast, Morris, Thompson, and the list goes on. Working on it though, I haven't traveled much.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:48:29 PM by John K. Moore »

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »

Is RGA Cobb?

I haven't looked up either of those, Eaglecrest was closed before I moved there, and I had forgotten I had ever played RGA. Yes, RGA is Cobb, so I can actually add that one to my list. Hmmm...one more logo ball to add to my collection. And Eaglecrest isn't listed in the database anymore for me to look up.

And we used to be even better :)...but there's always hope. 

I probably played RGA and Eaglecrest when you were 2 or 3...I had to think hard.  Wouldn't have remembered Eaglecrest had it not been your post a month or so ago.

John Moore II

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 10:56:06 PM »

Is RGA Cobb?

I probably played RGA and Eaglecrest when you were 2 or 3...I had to think hard.  Wouldn't have remembered Eaglecrest had it not been your post a month or so ago.

We used to be better for sure, in several sports.  And you were supposed to quote the next line of the song.

Have you been back to see the new course on campus?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:59:50 PM by John K. Moore »

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »

Is RGA Cobb?

I probably played RGA and Eaglecrest when you were 2 or 3...I had to think hard.  Wouldn't have remembered Eaglecrest had it not been your post a month or so ago.

We used to be better for sure, in several sports.  And you were supposed to quote the next line of the song.

Have you been back to see the new course on campus?

I can only remember the important line from the song :).

I have not played the new course, but read your review and actually have a question.  You noted that it was designed by Arnold Palmer Design Company associates Erik Larsen and Brandon Johnson.  There is a Palmer course here in Richmond (The Federal Club) that opened roughly 2006.  It was a private club in a pretty expensive housing development but turned into a bit of a disaster story, with the bankrupt development being sold to a bidder for less than $3M last week.

The course, at least for the time being, is now open to public play and I took some customers golfing there Tuesday and was really impressed.

You know if the same folks had a hand in it? 

You need to come up and try it out sometime (but when cools down to say the low 90s).

John Moore II

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 11:23:04 PM »
Mike, I am unaware if the same guys worked on The Federal Club as did the principal design of NCSU. The clubs website lists them as a Palmer Signature design, which would mean that Mr. Palmer was more involved in the work. From my understanding, Mr. Palmer had almost no involvement in the NCSU course with his associates doing the work and he just showed up for the grand opening. So, the guys involved in the NCSU course may have done work at Federal, but their name isn't on the project.

Allan Long

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

The NLE Eagle Crest in Garner was designed by John Baucom. He and his wife Marie were the owners and operators of the course that opened in 1968.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Mike Tanner

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
Of all the places I have played, I've never played The Golden Eagle or Bide-A-Wee.  And I've only caddied at Red Wing, never played there.  Did get to play Cavalier last year to see the restoration Lester George completed, which was very good.

But the real question is, why is everyone so fascinated with figuring out where I live?!?!

CJ,
Looks like I would have lost the wager. As for the fascination with where you live, it's an exercise in deduction for me (can't speak for others). I enjoyed trying to figure it out by the names on your list and where those architects designed courses, with the less heralded/regional guys providing the most interesting clues.

I've played Cavalier too, and I really like what L. George did there. But I'm really curious to know which Fred Findlay course(s) you've played. Bide-A-Wee and Ingleside in Staunton are on my list.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »

The NLE Eagle Crest in Garner was designed by John Baucom. He and his wife Marie were the owners and operators of the course that opened in 1968.

Thanks Allan!

CJ Carder

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
As for the fascination with where you live, it's an exercise in deduction for me (can't speak for others). I enjoyed trying to figure it out by the names on your list and where those architects designed courses, with the less heralded/regional guys providing the most interesting clues.

I just found it funny that SO many responses were talking about that. 

But I'm really curious to know which Fred Findlay course(s) you've played. Bide-A-Wee and Ingleside in Staunton are on my list.

Farmington CC in Charlottesville.

Mike Tanner

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »
CJ,
Should have guessed that from your "Wahoowa!"

John Moore II

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
As for the fascination with where you live, it's an exercise in deduction for me (can't speak for others). I enjoyed trying to figure it out by the names on your list and where those architects designed courses, with the less heralded/regional guys providing the most interesting clues.

I just found it funny that SO many responses were talking about that. 

But I'm really curious to know which Fred Findlay course(s) you've played. Bide-A-Wee and Ingleside in Staunton are on my list.

Farmington CC in Charlottesville.

I was people to try and figure out where I started playing the game. Not where I've lived in any of the past 3 years, thats obvious. But where did I start playing the game, somewhat specifically, given my list of designers.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »
Hanse - 426  (Can I count multiple rounds at the same course?  :) )

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back