News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Re: Ryan Moore - comments on the USGA & tournament setup
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2010, 12:49:50 AM »
I'll go ahead and predict that Ryan Moore wins the Travelers Championship this weekend because he will absolutely be giddy with the availability of birdies at TPC River Highlands!

I've always been a fan of Moore's; his comments (which I find also to be spot on, given my own opinions of how championship golf ought to be conducted) only bolster my respect for him as a golfer.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:23 AM »
I think the most convincing argument here is simply, what would happen if we had Tom Kitish, 1992--like winds this past week.

The wind forecasts would be available to the USGA and they would have made adjustments to the course setup?  Out here they can forecast wind conditions like they forecast thunderstorms elsewhere.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Martin Toal

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 02:09:58 AM »

I agree with Steve. The other part of this is that this is what these guys do for a living. Have random, unfair stuff happen to you  at your job and see  how you like it... :)

Sean

Doesn't everyone have random and unfair stuff happen to them in their jobs?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »
I am inclined to give the kid a break, and chalk up his remarks as those from a highly talented up and coming young player with very little links experience. (I think he has only played in one British Open.) I bet when he plays Pebble in 2019 he will be far more mature, and simply play the course as it is presented without whining.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2010, 09:17:32 AM »
I am inclined to give the kid a break, and chalk up his remarks as those from a highly talented up and coming young player with very little links experience. (I think he has only played in one British Open.) I bet when he plays Pebble in 2019 he will be far more mature, and simply play the course as it is presented without whining.
Bill, he may be young with little 'links' experience but what has that got to do with Pebble Beach? It may be called Pebble Beach Links and I have never been there to see it in person, but it looks like the most un-links like golf course I have ever seen >:(

Am I off the mark here?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
Let me ask.... IF the green on #17 can essentially not hold a shot, then nearly everyone in the field is left with a recovery shot of some kind from around the green, whether it be bunker or rough.

Since the green is the only predictably maintained portion of the golf hole, doesn't it mean that the 200+ yard tee shot is essentially counting on the hope of a decent lie in the rough or bunker for the recovery shot?

Although all players are playing the same hole, their lie in the rough or bunker likely has nothing to do with the skill of their shot.  Isn't this uncertainty the definition of luck?

And, isn't this what Ryan is saying - talking about "tricky", or "luck"?

I know where you are going, but not sure I am on board. If they know the green can't or won't hold a shot why not play it differently, avoid the sand and high grasses/poor lies and lay up? Chip it within 5 feet and walk away happy with par?

Just out of curiosity, how many guys did that on Sunday? I bet none.

The reason that the number would be zero is that no one made a 5 foot ,plinko err...putt ??? ;D all day (except McDowell on 8)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »
I'm reminded of a story told about my old boss at West Penn.  He was an official at LPGA Qualifying School at the University of New Mexico golf course a long time ago.  The players at a player meetinger were bitching about something.  He got up and said, "One of the best things about the UofNM golf course is that the airport is about 5 minutes away."

If you don't like it, you don't have to play.  See Lee Trevino at the Masters.

Pithy and true, like most quotes from the Merry Mex.  The USGA seems to share that attitude with respect to the US Open, anyway.  I've kiddingly referred to them as "U Still Golfed Anyway" USGA because they seem to have an ability to let criticism roll off of them as expected and irrelevant.  I assume that's true, because except for David Fay's measured irritation with Tiger Woods' comments, the USGA seems to have taken these criticisms in stride, like criticisms of years past.  It goes with the territory, after all.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill Brightly

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »
Bill, he may be young with little 'links' experience but what has that got to do with Pebble Beach? It may be called Pebble Beach Links and I have never been there to see it in person, but it looks like the most un-links like golf course I have ever seen >:(

Am I off the mark here?

Yeah, I'd say you are way off the mark. I have no doubt that you have played hundreds of parkland courses that are more "un-links" than Pebble....In terms of US Opens, think of Baltustrol, Winged Foot, Oak Hill, etc. where length, heavy rough and lightning fast greens were the top three defenses. You tell me what comprises links golf, then list where Pebble is lacking (outside of the style of bunkering.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:24:59 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back