News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Cal Amateur: Rancho Santa Fe
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
Is anyone going out there this week?

I would love to hear commentary and see pictures of the place, since I can't be there.

Haa the course been altered or presented differently from its "normal" state to challenge the young guns?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Pete Lavallee

Re: Cal Amateur: Rancho Santa Fe
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »
Kyle,

I was out to La Jolla CC yesterday to watch the last day of stroke play. LJCC has only 2 world class holes, #11 and 12, which play through a box canyon. There were several other interesting holes, which relied on the topography for their interest. The rest of the holes play parallel to each other on a gentle hill slope. These are all pretty straight and seperated by trees; not a forest mind you, there were several opportunities to recover or punch out. The fact that it is wall to wall Kikuyu certainly doesn't enhance the experience; especially the greenside stuff. The course appeared to be set up for member play although the greens seemed quite fast; players tried very hard to stay below the hole. I followed Allan Geighberger from #8 onward and yes Mr. 59 was in the gallery. He was moving around a bit gingerly due to a recent knee replacement, but what a nice man. He mentioned he had won a collegiate tournament there and things looked pretty much the same as they did back then.

As to Rancho Santa Fe, I played there in 2006 the week after the USGA Jr. Championship and the course was not altered at all from it's normal presentation. The fairways are 40 yarsd wide, with a 20 yard swarth of rough to either side. RSF is a figure 8 layout with a creek cutting through the middle of the course. They have perhaps the most affluent membership in the nation and addressed two issues several years ago. Although the fairways were always Bermuda, the roughs were spotty with a mixture of primarily cool season grasses. The Club wanted wall to wall Bermuda and that was accomplished. Sadly the the memebrs didn't like "the occasional wet spot" when the creek would swell from winter rains. So they undergrounded the creek and planted the area with Bemuda and put in palm trees. ??? So the creek which Max Behr utilized to allow for all of the risk reward elements is now essentially gone.

I hope to get a chance to make it out there later this week to watch the match play portion.

Here's a picture of the tee shot on #5; the area where the palm trees are used to be the creek. Very sanitary!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:49:17 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
Sadly the the memebrs didn't like "the occasional wet spot" when the creek would swell from winter rains. So they undergrounded the creek and planted the area with Bemuda and put in palm trees. ??? So the creek which Max Behr utilized to allow for all of the risk reward elements is now essentially gone.

AAAAAAKKKKKKKK!!!!! This is ill news.

Thanks for the report, Pete.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Robert_Ball

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
Kyle,

I was officiating the Arboleda/Kollus match today.  The course condition was as good as I've seen RSF, with the greens stimping at approximately 12.  I disagree with Pete regarding the US Junior setup.  Today played pretty much identical to how it plays for members.  Whereas, when the US Junior was there in 2006 the rough was at least two inches higher.

The committee did an outstanding job selecting hole locations today.  #1, #8 and #10 were especially good insofar as they tempted a lot of players to try very precise approach shots.  On the uphill opener, defending champ Geoff Gonzalez spun his approach off the false front, rolling 30 yards below.  On his next shot he did the same thing- ball rolled back to his feet.  Then he pitched above the hole.  Later, Geoff reached #8 in two, staying on the safe side of the hole before draining a 20 footer for eagle.

As Pete laments, a lot of the Max is gone.  But the routing and most of the fairway shaping remains (which is worth a lot in my book). The fifth, thirteenth and eighteenth have been drastically altered. The sixteenth is almost original and is one of the best holes in SoCal, IMO. There are a few threads that dissect the architectural evolution of RSF.  Deruntz and Stamm are particularly knowledgeable on the topic.

Details of the championship can be found at http://scga.org/Default.aspx?DN=17ea9865-4ea2-4a46-8319-bee8aa212caf

Robert
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:22:06 PM by Robert_Ball »

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
The ageless Randy Haag has advanced to the quarter-finals, winning his first 2 matches. At 50+ years, he is playing guys half his age.

https://www.ghintpp.com/CALAM/TPPOnlineScoring/MatchTree.aspx?id=2
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:29:41 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back