News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Cabot Links update
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »
I was up visiting the lads this past weekend at Cabot and below are a few photos of the progress.

Here is one of a par three green that takes the golfer toward the coastline. Personally, I love the haphazard chunking mounds that Rod piled up behind the green - I hope they stay just like that. I HATE hazards today that are being built in the name of 'naturalness' and yet are actually starched and pressed to within an inch of their life. :(  The wood boardwalk trails behind this green and then along the next hole. When Tom Paul referees my next smack down of Pat Mucci, he will have to do so from along the boardwalk as part of gallery control  ;D

In fact, here is the next hole, a 570 yarder along the coast. The tee shot over the wetland area is intimidating (especially for someone whose right elbow seems to wander around a bit  :-[ at the start of the downswing) but the fairway is actually 56 yards wide and Rod has done a masterful job of tilting the right side so that it plays even bigger. Seeing the giant double fairway (shared with the tenth) littered with irrigation heads was great and our next update in a few months will show some seeded fairways  :D Depending on the day's hole location, the flag will often times be seen over the top of those large bunkers down the left. I say 'often times' because this putting surface is part of a double green (shared with the tenth) that is ~ 20,000 square feet so the range in hole locations is immense.

Here is our hero, Rod Whitman, The Great Whit as Coore calls him, standing on a par five green. (Side note: the prior par five mentioned and this one play in opposite directions, which is quite a nice feature for a windy site).This long three shotter plays over the most rambunctious portion of the property and all must have gone well in two shots for the golfer to enjoy this pitch in for his third. Yes, the green flows from front left to back right and a flag flapping against the water will bring a smile to any lover of links golf.

This picture reminds me of some of the drawings in Geoff Shackelford's The Good Doctor Returns (which everyone on this site would thoroughly enjoy reading if one hasn't already done so). This vegetation is off a 400 yard par four green and just screams golf, at least to me.

Crucially, more good news is occurring 10km down the road at the Glenora Distillery - the week prior, they unveiled their 15 year single malt and like The Great Whit's dirt work, it is beyond compare.

Anyway, that's the June update. Dave Axland is a great task master and we are set to seed the first fairways in July.  As Ben will tell you, it is a dream coming true.

Cheers,

Anthony Gray

Re: Cabot Links update
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »

Any projected dates for opening?

Anthony

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
Things looking good Ran. Keep on going.

Jon

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
Anthony, Don't you think anyone who can write that comprehensively, would've included an opening date, if they had one?

Having a vision, creating, building and seeding is a long process. We are fortunate to be able to get glimpses like this, without leaving our computers.

That said, there's no law against seeing a course under construction. If all you want to do is play it, be patient. This will be after all, Bandon's sister resort.

I'm quite certain you will know when they know when it will open.  
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
Ran:

In that last picture is the green well immediately to the left of the native vegetation?

The hardest thing about that is to keep the greenside irrigation from turning the native veg to a jungle.  It can be done, but the superintendent has to be on top of it from day 1.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
The Golfweek article found on www.cabotlinks.com states a June 2011 opening.  Can't wait to see it, guys.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:53:40 PM by Eric Smith »

James Duncan

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Ran.

A number of years ago I had a birthday in the presence of Whit and Axland. We were having an early dinner at Dave's rented cottage overlooking Plymouth Bay at Old Sandwich. It was a beautiful afternoon and I commented on how fortunate we were to be part of realizing other people's dreams, seizing the day, etc, and also how when you reach a certain age you start to ponder your own mortality. Dave and Rod looked at each other, Rod turned to me and uttered in his inimitable style: "I think about it every day"

That's the guy you want building your greens.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:40:22 AM »
The Golfweek article found on www.cabotlinks.com states a June 2011 opening.  Can't wait to see it, guys.

June 2011 looks good for me. Are you driving Eric or do you want me to. I got a couple of stops on the way.

Anthony

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
Inverness, here we come!

I am SO psyched about Cabot Links.   Combined with Highlands Links, it makes Cape Breton a can't miss golf destination.

PS - don't take the ferry from Maine - it's a LOT faster to drive through New Brunswick into Nova Scotia.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
I've been putting off my visit to Highland Links until this is done so I can do both in one trip, can't wait!

Robert Thompson

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »

June 2011 looks good for me. Are you driving Eric or do you want me to. I got a couple of stops on the way.

Anthony

I'd be guessing a soft opening -- and not all the holes by then.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
Looks fantastic...can't wait to make it up there.
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »

Maybe it will be the Cruden Bay of Canada.

Anthony

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »

Anthony

You can ride with Adam
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Germain Pepin

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 06:46:31 AM »
Thanks for the Cabot Links update Ran! I am following the progress. I will certainly play this course after the opening.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
Ran, what plans are in the works for accommodations?

Or should I ask, how many B&B rooms are in the village there?   ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 07:52:37 PM »
This area sounds like it is tailor made for the rambling McBrides and a combo golf and touring excursion.  The Celtic Color/Music festival, at the peak of the fall colors and preumably some very lovely golf weather, sounds irresistable.  Here is a link for the festival and accomodation possibilites, Bill.

[url]http://www.celtic-colours.com/travel-guide/accommodations.html[/urll]
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
I don't want to step on any toes but Ben posted a few pictures of the progress at CL over at their Facebook page that I'll repost here.

First picture shows Dave Axland on a Sand Pro.  Last photo is of architect Rod Whitman and owner Mike Keiser.

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
Am I mistaken, or is Mr. Keiser over the 1 logo limit?   ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »
PS - don't take the ferry from Maine - it's a LOT faster to drive through New Brunswick into Nova Scotia.

Especially now that it has been withdrawn from service. Infinitely quicker to drive. :)

Looking at those pics makes me drool. I wonder if there might be a market for a decent-quality inn with locally-sourced food, drink and Nova Scotia wine in the area? Risky business, and I'm no Mike Keiser. Still, it is intriguing.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
There is no one logo limit.

Find Cabot Links on Facebook...cool updates from Ben.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
Greg,
If you could tie-in the nearby national park, you'd have a real winner.  Cape Breton Highlands National Park is as good as anything we have here in the States.  I've heard it has a swell little Thompson course that'll compliment Cabot Links extremely well.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index.aspx

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »
Has anyone else been following Cabot Links construction progress on Facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inverness-NS/Cabot-Links/124992870856038?ref=ts

I'm told that a current photo has Whit waving to all his fans on GCA.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JC Urbina

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
Adam,

Wait till they post the picture of the golf hole with the Ocean and Harbor in the back round.  That will get your attention.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 06:14:26 PM »
Adam,
Thanks for the Facebook bump, it has been a lot of fun.

Jim,
We have to save something for the fall, but here is one you will appreciate.

A GCA exclusive, from left Whitman, Keiser, Axland and Urbina.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back