News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

brad_miller

Vineyard Golf Club
« on: March 16, 2002, 11:27:49 AM »
Just heard from a soon to be former assistant golf pro at my home course, that has taken on the first assistant job at this course, opening this summer? www.vineyardgolf.com

Donald Steel is archie, some pics and routing can be found on the above web site. Not much in tune with the goings on, on Martha's Vineyard, I thought the only project was the Rees Jones course that may be dead in the water. Law of supply and demand will probably work wonders for this project.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Ed_Baker

Re: Vineyard Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 08:40:04 AM »
Brad,

Vineyard Golf Club is ultra high end for this neck of the woods.

The initiation fee is up to 300K and I believe that the membership is full.So supply and demand certainly was in balance during conception and construction.It really is the only game in town for that genre'. Farm Neck G.C., caters to the merely comfortable,rather than the truly wealthy, and its semi-private operations should continue to thrive as The Vineyard Golf Club will be strickly play with a member or stay home,(at least initially) so I guess one could say that the market is covered on the island now.

It will open for play in May, it had a full year of grow in,so they are taking it slow and all indications are the turf is healthy and ready.The club also retained the "grow-in" super, so this has been his "baby" from the get go,that's always encouraging.He worked closely with Steele and his crew during construction,so there is a real potential for the proper maintenence meld.  I will play it in June and post my impressions here.

One of my close friends is one of the founders and judging by the membership roster,fiscal responsibility and operating budgets are not going to be a big issue, this may lend itself to a severe case of the Augusta Syndrome however, we'll see!

There is a substantial contingent of members that belong to clubs where they "get it", so we'll have to wait and see which faction wins the initial power struggle that will decide the clubs direction and identity.

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 02:46:38 AM »
I believe Vineyard GC has fine fescue fairways - an interesting experiment, which could work if round count is low.

By the way, anyone know what town the course is in?

Ed_Baker

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 11:29:30 AM »
The course is in Edgartown.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back