News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

NAF

Tillinghast and the aerial game
« on: March 18, 2002, 12:31:44 PM »
At my home course (Alpine CC) Tillinghast built a course that makes you rely upon the aerial game to a large degree.  Most of our green sites sit on top of elevated plateaus.  You can't bounce or bump and run anything into them..The will just roll right back down leaving you to play chips and pitches.  I think this might have been a feature of the property as Alpine is built into the side of the Palisades.  It is a narrow course with little in the way of hazards off the tee but lots of challenge as you get close to or on the greens.  Most of our greens are tough to hold and there are several you can putt off of..

My question is I am surprised back in 1929 when Tillie built the course that he built a course that didnt rely on the ground game as was key during that time period.  Was he adapting to the property? I have only played a few other Tillie courses so I can't totally compare but I wanted to see if others think he relyed on the aerial game a bit more than we would expect.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Matt_Ward

Re: Tillinghast and the aerial game
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 01:17:52 PM »
Noel:

Given the land that Tillie found at Alpine it's an amazing feat of engineering / design in the first place. The pitch on the property -- particularly as you make your way to the back nine via #10 is something to behold. I personally believe that if Tillie had the benefits of modern equipment a few things probably would have done that provides for a more seemless transition to that side.

I can remember playing the original 10th hole 25-30 years ago during high school matches at Alpine. That hole, and to a lesser extent the one that exists today, have to rate high on anyone's quirky list. Don't get me wrong -- I love the green but the demands are clearly beyond what one normally finds at any Tillie layout that I have ever experienced as one attempts to climb that hill (they should call the hole the Matterhorn!).

Clearly, Tillie adapted to the terrain he found. I've always believed the greens at Alpine are among the toughest you'll play particularly late in the season when they are really firm. You're right Noel -- you can putt off a few of them -- especially #10.

There is no room at Alpine for the ground game. The turf is usually watered beyond what is needed because too many members erroneously think the "green is golden" rule of thumb.
I've always believed that if Alpine was truly rock firm it would be an extremely testing course -- especially if the rough were cut back allowing poor tee play to be further penalized. The small tilted greens provide enough of a penalty as is.

Even at other Tillie layouts in the metro NY area there is way too water applied on a daily basis to pacify ignorant membership by keeping everything soooo green. Clearly, some of these courses would be just as good, if not better, if firm conditions became the dominant pattern. The result would be enhanced shotmaking skills needed to overcome the qualities imbued by its creator. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back