News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Remington (SBR)

Re: future Curtis/Walker Cup sites: why?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »
  Take the Curtis Cup to Chevy Chase Club in Maryland.  The host of the first C.C. in 1934.

Pete Wendt

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »
I am biased, but i too would like to see a Walker Cup at Kinloch.  Vinny Giles, the czar, is a former Walker Cupper, Walker Cup Captain, winner of the US Am, the British Am, the 2009 US Senior Am, and one of the best life-long amateurs to ever play the game.

Kinloch is truly "Vinny's place" in the golf world and it would be a great tribute to him.

My 2 cents.

Ben Sims

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
Peachtree GC.  It could play very fast if they wanted it to. It's in a metro area, it's got some great history. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Ben,

Walker Cup 1989--Peachtree...GBI stuns usa, 12.5 to 11.5

Seems like 30+ years required during hostings, except for Old Course pre-1975 (8 x the venue!)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim McCann

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
I played next year's Walker Cup venue at Royal Aberdeen a couple of days ago.
Now there's a course that is most definitely fit for purpose for such a prestigious event.

Here's a few snaps of some of the holes:

Par five 2nd:

Par four 4th:

Par three 8th:

Par four 14th:

Par four 15th:

A very under rated track- not even in the top 10 in Scotland where it most certainly should be - that will provide a stern test
for the two teams when they meet in 2011.

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
This thread continues to demonstrate what a great job the USGA and R&A are doing in picking Walker/Curtis Cup sites.  Most of the courses mentioned the thread on your preferred future sites have already hosted the event or are scheduled to do so soon.  I'm guessing that would not be the case if we had a Ryder/Solheim Cup thread like this (although I just notices that Colorado Golf Club will have the Solheim in 2013).  Just look at the lists of courses.  For all the reasons we've talked about, there is no reason to expect anything different.  There are virtually no limitations on which courses can host the event, so the quality of the course itself should be the primary determinant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Cup

The Walker/Curtis Cups are the last events that we need a thread recommending courses for.  Where do we think GCAers could most improve upon the courses selected for big events?  Which tour stop could most use a venue change?  I recommend that Tiger move the Chevron Challenge to Rustic Canyon!

ed_getka

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »
Having been present at Merion in 2009 and having just witnessed from afar a successful running at Essex County Club in 2010, it occurs to me that certain venues are meant for certain events.  The intimacy of a Merion, an ECC, lends itself to these amateur team events.  The Curtis heads to Nairn in 2012, while the Walker embarks for Royal Aberdeen in 2011 and LA North in 2013 (Lytham in 2015 and National Golf Links in 2017)  Of these choices, Lytham and Pinehurst seem to stand out as a venue that we see as Open championship sites.

Did NGLA change their date from 2013 to 2017?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:40 PM »
I reversed them...LACC in 2017, NGLA in 2013...thanks, Ed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Scott Stearns

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
Camargo would be good, but city is prob too small/course is too hard to get to

Seminole, but event is held too early/club prob doesnt want it

John Moore II

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
This thread continues to demonstrate what a great job the USGA and R&A are doing in picking Walker/Curtis Cup sites.  Most of the courses mentioned the thread on your preferred future sites have already hosted the event or are scheduled to do so soon.  I'm guessing that would not be the case if we had a Ryder/Solheim Cup thread like this (although I just notices that Colorado Golf Club will have the Solheim in 2013).  Just look at the lists of courses.  For all the reasons we've talked about, there is no reason to expect anything different.  There are virtually no limitations on which courses can host the event, so the quality of the course itself should be the primary determinant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Cup

The Walker/Curtis Cups are the last events that we need a thread recommending courses for.  Where do we think GCAers could most improve upon the courses selected for big events?  Which tour stop could most use a venue change?  I recommend that Tiger move the Chevron Challenge to Rustic Canyon!

Anthony-Actually, this is probably the best event to talk about on here because logistics aren't as much of an issue. For tour stops and especially the majors, you need a large amount of space for the corporate facilities, parking and other stuff. You also need a pretty good sized metro area reasonably close by. So that eliminates many top class courses. Like Bandon can't host a big event because of the logistics involved with housing thousands of people in hotels; a place like Seminole couldn't host an event even if they wanted to because the don't have the space for hospitality and the like.

These events, with their ultra-small fields and small crowds, have the potential to be hosted anywhere willing to do it.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
Kittansett had the Walker Cup in the early 50's.  It was a great success then as it would be in the future.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
Peachtree GC.  It could play very fast if they wanted it to. It's in a metro area, it's got some great history. 

I think they actually had the Walker at Peachtree in the early 90's, if I remember correctly Mickelson was on the team.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »
FREAKING DOY...just hit me...Old Town in Winston-Salem...potentially draws from the triad, from the research triangle, from the sandhills and from Charlotte.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »
Camargo would be a great Curtis Cup Site- Cincy is plentyof city and the club is very accessible. But I do not know if it meets all the social requirements (nor do I care). It would be a fantastic site; it is probably too small for a Walker Cup.

Prarie Dunes was the first to come to my mind, as well as Cherry Hills, for the walker Cup. Since it is contested in the fall, the southern US becomes viable, so why not Champions, or Brook Hollow?

Accessibility probably works against Crystal Downs, though it would be a great venue of either event. BTW, TD misspoke: the 1991 event was the Senior Amateur, not Open. No big deal. And yes, the greens got a little speedy, though the 11th was the only real problem. Cold weather didn't help but the golf course was fantastic.

Brookline would be another great site for either event since it is now most likely through hosting Opens. COurse qualityh and its place in history should make it a front runner.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
Jim,
Too small or too short is Camargo for a Walker Cup?  Too small, I don't understand.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back