News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: Well, I've decided to hold another GolfclubAtlas.com get together
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
Pat, I played in a shotgun, what holes are these?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:33:06 PM by Bill Brightly »

Justin Broderson

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »
3, great short hole.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
Pat, I played in a shotgun, what holes are these?

Bill,

The top photo displayed is the 3rd hole.   The bottom photo the 5th hole.
If the air is right and the wind at my back I can carry those bunkers from the blue tees and have a flip L-wedge into the green.
If the wind is from the west I usually hit driver to the slot or 3-wood, depending how I feel.
That green putts faster than the other greens due to the elevation and fan.
It's a great little hole.
On wednesday, in our match, the pin was back right, meaning you had to carry the bunker from the fairway.

Although, Ran didn't have to carry the bunker since he was in the extreme left fairway bunker off the tee.
I never should have given him that 6-7 footer.

The 5th, below is a great hole.
Good driving hole with stacked bunkers right, bunker left and a fairway that slopes right to left.
The green is interesting, pitched with a huge false front.
Par on this hole is a good score.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:43:16 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 08:22:47 PM »
Pat,

Thanks for putting this together at such a great venue. I'll be there.

How about having Donald Zucker, Mark Hissey and George Bahto talk about North Shore? I could even say a few words.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Falkner

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »
Would love to attend  If there is room.

Eric Smith

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
Pat,

Thanks for the offer for what's bound to be a great time.  Were it not for an already scheduled anniversary trip with the Mrs. the week before, I would have loved to attend.  I did ask her just now if we could stop off in Caldwell, NJ on the way home, figuring she might actually consider my request since she spent the first 17 years of her life growing up in neighboring Verona.

Well, she didn't say no at first.  She goes on to tell me how, when in high school, she and her friends would sneak over the fence of the nearby country club and drink blackberry brandy on Saturday nights.  Mountain Ridge, I ask?  No, Montclair GC (another Ross) just about 4 miles down Bloomfield Ave. She also tells she went to high school with Pat Mucci!  Either you're quite a bit younger than I thought you were or maybe you have a son, (or relative?), about 41 years old, who went to school in Verona?

Lastly, she tells me I can kiss it..."you're not going!

I tried!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
Inviting Mike Davis is a GREAT idea! He is local and if there are no USGA events that week, he just might do it.

JSlonis

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
Pat,

Sounds like a great day.  For those of you who have never been to Mountain Ridge, it's a must see. One of the very best courses in NJ.

I'd love to see what Ron's plans are for the course. The front nine is spectacular, if there is any room for improvement, I could see it being in a few spots on the back nine.

If the date works, I will definitely attend.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Eric Smith,

That would be my son as I graduated from Verona in 1960.

I'm also considering Sept 20th and Oct 4th.

The final date will probably be determined by the invited presenters.

In the past, each presenter was given about 45 minutes.

The problem ?  After the presentation there's usually a question and answer period that could go on for hours.

The program usually runs from 8:00 am until 12 noon, then lunch, then to the range and golf course with a tee off at between
1:00 and 1:30, followed by drinks and hors d oeuvres at 5:30-600, breaking up by about 7:30.

So, you can only have so many presenters.

If Ron Prichard can make it, with Cliff Moore the Superintendent also presenting, that leaves us with only two other presenters in the morning session.

In the past we've also had a panel that discussed a few topics and then fielded questions.

Again, we only have four (4) hours in the morning, so we're limited when it comes to the number of speakers and the time alloted to  them.

Those who have attended previous get togethers can attest to their quality.
They're interesting, informative and fun.
Throw in good food, a great golf course, comraderie, drinks and discussions and you have a great day.

The key, in terms of the date and quality of the product is the availability of the presenters.
The club and especially the golf course won't disappoint anyone.

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »
Eric Smith,

That would be my son as I graduated from Verona in 1960.

Pat,

That is really something.  Big time small world stuff.

She also knew who George Bahto was decades before I would ever learn of him. :)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 12:20:30 PM »
I'm hoping to have the quest speakers, agenda and date finalized in the next week.

If things work out, this may be an ideal blending of general architectural information about the original architect Donald Ross, restoration and a case specific course study with the restoration architect, Ron Prichard, where the course would be available for play, and the superintendent responsible for the transition would also be available, in addition to a prominent authority on Donald Ross and GCA.

Stay tuned.

Brad Klein

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »
I'm willing, though after seeing the Pizza Hut port cochere on the Mountain Ridge clubhouse I'm having second thoughts. Looks they got that from the Diamondhead version of the Pinehurst Resort Carolina Hotel. Like all things Ross, it, too, can be restored.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:31:35 PM by Brad Klein »

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
Pat - I would also like to attend if there is room.  Sounds like a great day and Mountain Ridge is always a treat to play.
If anyone is interested in playing a really great, but lesser known Tilly course the day before or after, I can arrange and host a couple of groups at my club about 40 minutes from Mountain Ridge.

Lenny

SL_Solow

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
As of now, I am scheduled to be in Dornoch.  One of the few things that could keep me away.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »
Patrick - You have a special golf course. I got to work with Cliff installing the irrigation for his new house and a small drainage project on the course. He is very good, and has lots of energy/enthusiasm for the job. I hope to be involved in the future projects at Mountain Ridge. I'd love to be involved in an event like this.

Jaeger

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
Brad's participation is appreciated and will greatly enhance the program.

Brad's very familiar with Donald Ross's work and Ross restorations.

Brad's written "Discovering Donald Ross" which should be required reading or your ticket for admission.

I'd like to get one more speaker to round out the program and am making overtures in that direction.

I'll keep you posted.

Brad,

That's nothing more than a red awning in the google aerial.
Now, It may be green or black.  I've never noticed it when driving in
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:42:17 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

mike_malone

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
 I can't wait.
AKA Mayday

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »

Is Bill McBride attending? Would love to buy him another drink.

Anthony

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
I just heard from Ron Prichard and he's going to see if his schedule will allow him to join us.

He's probably going to the Ryder Cup, but, it would be nice if he could visit with us at Mountain Ridge and fly out of Newark.

Ron, let us know ASAP

Thanks

john_stiles

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »

Clubhouse is Wendehack and the original plans look great.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 06:40:24 AM »
John Stiles,

I'd love to see the original plans.

I believe the only substantive change since the clubhouse was built in 1930 was the addition of a grille room at the northeast corner of the clubhouse.

The setting of the clubhouse, high up on the ridge, affording a view of the golf course and mountains to the West to NW to N, which is quite stunning.

I'm hoping to be able to post some photos of the course and clubhouse in the next week or two

Right now my primary focus is on getting Ron Prichard to arrange his schedule so that he can attend and present his prior and current 5 year Master Plans.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Pat,

I would love to attend if space allows...thx...RHE

David_Madison

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:41 PM »
Patrick - Sounds like a fantastic day. Thanks for making it happen. I'd love to come up from NC, spend a few days with local friends and scouting out some of the courses in the area, and then attend if there's space available. Will there be a sign-up list or something else so that we can know for sure if there's room?

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »
Pat,

Sounds wonderful.   May I also thank you for making every effort to include the host Superintendent.  I keep coming back to GCA because this group understands that course design, conditions and playability are linked and one cannot be ignored for the other.  Your meetings have always been great events and very educational for me.  I will make every effort to attend. Thanks again.

Jeff Martz

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
Pat,
I'd love to attend, if there is a spot available.  As a GCA newbie, having the opportunity to meet a new group of fellow members is always a treat.  Thank you for open invitation.

Jeff Martz
"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back