News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Well, I've decided to hold another GolfclubAtlas.com get together
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »
Bill Brightly's offer is quite generous.
Hackensack is a terrific golf course, one that shouldn't be missed.

Bill, can you hold a spot for a fellow from Cleveland in the event that I can't accomodate him elsewhere ?

Pat Burke,

Thanks.

Pat's brother Mike, a spectacular player was the Head Professional at Mountain Ridge for many years.

Kris,

I want everyone to have a "fun" day, from 7:00 am Breakfast to the get together on the Patio overlooking the course after golf.
If our timing is right, that sunset will be magnificent, especially with an Hors D Oeuvre in one hand and a glass in the other.

I recently received a call inquiring as to whether non-GCA.com participants can attend.
The answer is "YES".
We welcome anyone interested in golf course architecture, irrespective of whether they do or don't post on the site

Rick Sides

« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
Pat,
Do you guys still have room for a single straggler like myself?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »
Rick: I have a threesome if you want to join us. Jerry

Rick Sides

« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
Jerry,
That would be great!  I'm an 8.1 index so I don't know if that helps or hurts your group.  Should I just send the check to Pat today and let him know I'm part of your group?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2010, 11:45:52 PM »
Pat,
Do you guys still have room for a single straggler like myself?

Rick,

We do have a little room, so just send your check and index to Kim and inform her that you'll be playing with Jerry.

Knowing who is playing with whom will allow us to organize the bags and assign tee off holes.

Rick Sides

« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Pat,
Thank you. I will get the check in the mail today and give Kim my index.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »
Pat,

I will be sending a check and note to Kim on Tuesday as well.  I believe the super at my club would also like to attend.  I will confirm today.

Best regards,
Lenny

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
Lenny,

That's great.

We're filling up fast, so please send your checks in to Kim ASAP.

Thanks.

P.S.  If Mother Nature co-operates, it should be a fantastic day.

Cliff Moore, the superintendent, will be one of our speakers/presenters.

He has the course fast and firm, even in this extremely hot and humid summer.
So, by Sept 27th, the course should be humming.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
This sure sounds like a great day, I'm envious.  However, will just be back from 8 days in Kent and Wales so won't be able to get there.  Nice idea and arrangements, Patrick.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
Yesterday, I took my son to hit balls and play 9 holes and who did I run into at Mountain Ridge ?

Our fellow GCA.comer from Pittsburgh, George Pazin.

On the one hole I watched him, on # 8, a 470 yard par 4 that plays from an elevated tee, usually into a prevailing wind, George absolutely killed a tee shot into a 2 club length wind and only had an iron into the green.

I'd be interested in hearing George's assessment of the golf course.

Rick Sides

« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »
Pat,
Do you know if the pro shop will be open on the 27th for purchases?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »
Rick,

Since we'll be playing golf that day it will be open.

Rick Sides

« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
Great. Thanks Pat

Mike Hendren

« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
I'd welcome the opportunity to join any group, preferably one playing from the forward tees.

Please IM.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Brightly

« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
We have two foursomes set at Hackensack on Sunday afternoon, 9/26:

Jerry Kluger
Mike Cirba
Steve Shaffer
Joe Bausch
Mark McKeever
Jon Lyon
Pat Mucci's friend
Bill Brightly

I can probably get a thrid foursome ok'd, if needed. So if others want to play, let me know via message.
Tentative tee time 11:45 AM, but I need to confirm. I'd like to get out just ahead of the mixed. We'll finalize the pairings as the day draws near.

George Pazin

« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
Well, I'll share more later, but suffice it to say, anyone attending is in for a real treat. My best friend belongs to MR and I had the opportunity to join him for a round on Saturday, even saw your beneficent host, Pat Mucci, before and during the round.

Simply tremendous, in many ways an ideal course. More later.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Mayhugh

« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
This sure sounds like a great day, I'm envious.  However, will just be back from 8 days in Kent and Wales so won't be able to get there.  Nice idea and arrangements, Patrick.

Same here.  We will just have to wait til the next Muccistock.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

Sorry if I forgot something.

Each attendee will get a very nice golf shirt logoed with the Mountain Ridge 2012 USGA Sr Am logo.

Therefore, I need the shirt size for everyone who's attending.

If the shirts are available on the 27th they'll be handed out.

Chances are they won't be, so, we'll need your mailing address along with your size.

I'd appreciate it If you could email your golf shirt size along with your mailing address to Kim Fitzgerald at:

KFITZGERALDMMM@optonline.net

Kim is keeping a list of attendees and their handicap index (for foursome pairing purposes) and will add your shirt size and address to her list.

I'll also let you know what solid colors are available.

Thanks

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:18 PM »
Check is in the mail.  Should be a great event.

George Pazin

« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
I look forward to the discussions that arise from this event, really wish I could make it, but I will say, MR impressed me greatly. It is exactly what I'd envision in terms of a course that is very playable for a lesser golfer, particularly someone as wildly inconsistent as me, yet still very challenging for a top level golfer. I am really looking forward to the Senior Am being held there in a couple years, it should really highlight the course.

The super, Cliff Moore, apparently gets it, as the course was in fantastic shape - very firm through the green and pretty fast as well.

After talking briefly with Pat last Saturday, I will also share a bit of a teaser: you are in for some tricky hole locations! :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JNC Lyon

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »

Jerry Kluger
Mike Cirba
Steve Shaffer
Joe Bausch
Mark McKeever
Jon Lyon
Pat Mucci's friend
Bill Brightly

I can probably get a thrid foursome ok'd, if needed. So if others want to play, let me know via message.
Tentative tee time 11:45 AM, but I need to confirm. I'd like to get out just ahead of the mixed. We'll finalize the pairings as the day draws near.

Wow, that is a SOLID group of golfers right there.  I am very exciting for Hackensack and the weekend in general.  For those of you who have not seen it yet, Hackensack is a really solid Banks design, and it is only getting better because of the oversight of Mr. Bill Brightly.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Bill Brightly

« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2010, 02:55:29 PM »
Thanks Jon but I am no longer Grounds Chair. The course is much better now :)

If anyone has a problem with an 11:30 AM, let me know. I can push it back, but then we have to deal with the mixed and I make no promises about pace of play :)  At 11:30 we will be safely off.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2010, 04:23:39 PM »
For those of you attending, and playing and/or walking the golf course, I want you to pay special attention to the way Ross chose to redirect and remove surface water from the playing areas.

The use of berms, ramps, grooves, channels and mini creeks, some above and others underground, are truely fascinating.

Mountain Ridge's site is unusual in that the clubhouse sits atop a large hill with holes 1, 8 and 10 flowing downhill, with holes 7, 9 and 18 flowing uphill.  Another 6 holes traverse mildly rolling terrain and another 6 holes are fairly flat.

The use of different man made devices to deflect and remove water is quite interesting.
Many are diagonal open aquaducts, some emptying into trenches, others going to underground waterways.

I then thought of Seminole and how Ross implemented a waterway system to remove water.
But, I haven't noticed many of the devices used at Mountain Ridge.

How many of you are familiar enough with a Ross course to notice and describe how he deflected and removed water from that golf course ?

I'd be interested to know if he had a "system", a series of devices he employed, or, if his work was site specific. 

I have been reading this over a bit and thinking about my home course and favorite Ross course, the West Course at Oak Hill.  One of the most remarkable things about the West Course is how the greens drain during a heavy rain.  Ross built up every green above the fairway and directed the water flow in one direction off each green.  The 4th Hole, a short par three that is based loosely on MRB's "Short," has a green that is especially fun to watch in the rain.  The green has a center gully that many might think would get soaked during wet weather.  However, the gully directs all rain water off the front of the green into the rough, where the ground then soaks it up without any thought.  Every time it rains, water runs off the front of the green in the same way, directed perfectly each time by Ross's green contours.

It appears on the West Course that he had a system for draining greens.  However, I don't know if he employed this system at his other courses.  Maybe drainage is one purpose of his wild green contours?  Some of his most wild contours occur on flat, low-lying green sites (such as the 4th green on our West Course).  It would seem that his wild greens serve dual purposes.  I am not a drainage expert by any means, but I will watch for it at Mountain Ridge.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
Thanks Jon but I am no longer Grounds Chair. The course is much better now :)

If anyone has a problem with an 11:30 AM, let me know. I can push it back, but then we have to deal with the mixed and I make no promises about pace of play :)  At 11:30 we will be safely off.

Those times sound great.  Any way we don't have to deal with the mixed play is optimal. ;D  Of course, it's up to you as the host.  We are all counting on you.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

Jerry Kluger
Mike Cirba
Steve Shaffer
Joe Bausch
Mark McKeever
Jon Lyon
Pat Mucci's friend
Bill Brightly

Third group at Hackensack approved and we have Dan Herrmann plus one and Joe Fairey making up a threesome, one spot left!

I am planning on tee times between 10:45 and 11:30 to get off before the mixed. If your travel plans do not permit this start time, please let me know.  I could possibly have one group play after the mixed, after 1 PM or so, but then I won't be around to host.  I will assume everyone can make the early times unless I hear otherwise. Caddies will be required if you walk. If a group takes two carts, a forecaddy will be required.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back