News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Well, I've decided to hold another GolfclubAtlas.com get together
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »

mike_malone

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
 I see you there , Dan---fifth row in back of the guy between the two women; I don't see Laura though!
AKA Mayday

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
You're right - I robbed the cradle- Laura wasn't born yet!

David_Elvins

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
So, if you can't attend and have some questions for the speakers, please let me know what they are.

Hi Pat,

Well done on organising such a great event.  If you have time to fill, and this question makes the grade, I wouldbe interested in an answer from Mike Davis. 

As a casual observer of recent US Opens, it appears that the course is rarely played to its maximum length, with tee positions moved from day to day.  With the increased distance that modern day players hit the ball (for example, since opening, the yardage at Moutain Ridge has not increased in proportion with the distance players hit the ball), why is maximising the course length not prioritised ahead of other course set up elements such as fairway width, rough height, and pin position. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
David,

That's an interesting question, one that I'll pose to Mike Davis.

A guess would be, especially on the par 3's, that wear and tear on repeated use of the same teeing area might make the area unusable for four+ days of play.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:38:02 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

David_Elvins

« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
David,

That's an interesting question, one that I'll pose to Mike Davis.

A guess would be, especially on the par 3's, that wear and tear on repeated use of the same teeing area might make the area unusable for four+ days of play.

Patrick,

I think there is a bit more to it than that.  We are seeing tees moved up quite dramatically, I can understand where they may do it to create a drivable Par 4, but the last round at Torrey Pines, for example, played to 7,280, well off its maximum length of 7,643.    7280 isn't short for me, but when compared to US Opens in the 70s and 80s which played at close to 7000 yards, it is a short, when allowing for how far players hit the ball these days.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
David,

Understood.

As President of the Mike Young Society you'll be glad to know that Mike Young is attending the Sept 27th event at Mountain Ridge.

As is George Bahto

Add in Ran Morrissett, TEPaul and others and the gathering seems to be shaping up quite well.

And, now that TEPaul and Moriarty are back on the right track, my budget has been freed up as I can release the money set aside for security ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I've been contacted by Hamilton B Hearst.

He's interested in attending attending the Sept 27th get together, but indicated that he would have to alter his Mediteranean sailing schedule and have his yacht make a special stop in either Nice or Monaco.  From there his G-5 will fly him non-stop to Fairfield Airport which is only two minutes from Mountain Ridge.

Hamilton asked me to send him the list of attendees as he'd like to screen it to make certain that no riff-raff are in attendance.

I informed him that the list was confidential and not for distribution.

He paused, then said that his entourage and body guards would accompany him just in case.

For those of you who don't know Hamilton B Hearst, a member of about 20 of the most elite clubs in the World, this may be your chance to finally meet him.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »
good ol' Hammy. He does love to crash the parties.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »
As President of the Mike Young Society you'll be glad to know that Mike Young is attending the Sept 27th event at Mountain Ridge.

Dang - I had so hoped to be low Hillbilly.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »
Despite the weather, Mountain Ridge's greens were putting at 13.3 today.

And, some of the hole locations really challenged the golfer's mind.

TEPaul

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2010, 11:15:35 PM »
"I've been contacted by Hamilton B Hearst.

He's interested in attending attending the Sept 27th get together, but indicated that he would have to alter his Mediteranean sailing schedule and have his yacht make a special stop in either Nice or Monaco.  From there his G-5 will fly him non-stop to Fairfield Airport which is only two minutes from Mountain Ridge.

Hamilton asked me to send him the list of attendees as he'd like to screen it to make certain that no riff-raff are in attendance.

I informed him that the list was confidential and not for distribution.

He paused, then said that his entourage and body guards would accompany him just in case.

For those of you who don't know Hamilton B Hearst, a member of about 20 of the most elite clubs in the World, this may be your chance to finally meet him."

Patrick:

That sounds like you've been talking to yourself again. Should I tell Deb privately? You're good, pal, you are very good but for both you and Hamilton B. Hearst to be in the same room at the same time would be some kind "smoke and mirrors"  tech act that even George Lucas of movie-making tech fame might not be able to pull off.

And futhermore, if Hammie Hearst doesn't know Fern or Jan Cushing, provided he's not some kind of kin to Randolf Hearst, I'll guarantee you he's basically a social pretender and a perhaps a social fraud even if he belongs to 20 clubs. And if he doesn't play Fernandina Beach Municipal at least once a year he's a total nobody, in my book.

By the way, Pat, belonging to GCGC you must know Joe Donahue. He's a total hoot and he sure does have a background in golf and golf administration. He sure isn't on this website but he's a great guy. Should I ask him to come? He has been known to rise right in the middle of various speeches and make some pretty extraordinary and memorable remarks prefaced by qualifiers such as----"That might be the most idiotic statement I have ever heard." Actually, Joe has long been one of my best philosophical mentors.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:24:02 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
TEPaul,

I know Joe.

He's a very nice fellow.

Hamilton B Hearst will indeed be in attendance.

He will also be in the same room at the same time that I am in the room.

I thought rumors of HBH and I being the same person were dispelled in 2005 when I was at Sand Hills with you and HBH was posting.

As you know, cell phone and internet connections were next to impossible at Sand Hills.

The one night I tried sneaking out to a hill to try to get reception I heard strange sounds coming from another hill.
When I looked closer, and snuck up to the other hill, there you were, bathed in the full moon, howling at the other coyotes in the surrounding hills.  That's when I decided to lock my doors and windows at night.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2010, 09:54:26 PM »
For those of you attending, and playing and/or walking the golf course, I want you to pay special attention to the way Ross chose to redirect and remove surface water from the playing areas.

The use of berms, ramps, grooves, channels and mini creeks, some above and others underground, are truely fascinating.

Mountain Ridge's site is unusual in that the clubhouse sits atop a large hill with holes 1, 8 and 10 flowing downhill, with holes 7, 9 and 18 flowing uphill.  Another 6 holes traverse mildly rolling terrain and another 6 holes are fairly flat.

The use of different man made devices to deflect and remove water is quite interesting.
Many are diagonal open aquaducts, some emptying into trenches, others going to underground waterways.

I then thought of Seminole and how Ross implemented a waterway system to remove water.
But, I haven't noticed many of the devices used at Mountain Ridge.

How many of you are familiar enough with a Ross course to notice and describe how he deflected and removed water from that golf course ?

I'd be interested to know if he had a "system", a series of devices he employed, or, if his work was site specific. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
For those who have sent their checks in could you please let me know what your handicap index is.

For those who are going to send their checks in, could you please include your handicap index.

Thanks.

Mountain Ridge tends to get a breeze out of the West.

The regular tees are about 7,100, 6,800 and 6,400.

Since tee off is at 1:00 and daylight more limited on Sept 27th, it's important that we complete the round in NO more than 4:30.
I believe that Sunset is at 6:32 that day.
Sitting on the Mountain Ridge Patio between 5:30 and 6:30 and viewing the course, mountains and sunset is a special treat.

If Mother Nature co-operates, the course will be firm and fast with the greens putting at or around 13.
The hole locations will be exceptionally difficult.
While the fairways are very generous the rough is very difficult.

Thus, it's important that everyone play from tees commensurate with their ability.

If you're not a 4 or better, the Black/Back tees will be overwhelming, so play for most should be from the Blues or Whites, whatever you prefer.

After golf, cocktails and hors d oeuvres will be served on the patio overlooking the golf course.
If we start at 5:30 we can enjoy the Sunset at 6:30 and talk until 8:00

Thanks

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to tell you, don't IM me with your handicap info, instead email it to Kim Fitzgerald at

KfitzgeraldMMM@optonline.net

Thanks

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2010, 06:48:21 AM »
We're getting some interesting attendees, some traveling all the way from California.

In addition, Ran, TEPaul and other familiar names will be in attendance.

There's still some room left, so if you're planning to attend, I'd suggest sending your info in as soon as possible.

September is a great month for golf in the Metro NY area and the course should be really, really F&F.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
We're still missing a good number of handicap indexes.

If you've sent your check, but forgot to include your index, please send your index to:

Kfitzgeraldmmm@optonline.net

If you're going to send your check, don't forget to include your index.

Mountain Ridge is surviving a difficult summer in the Metro NY area with exceptional turf conditions and good pace on the greens.

It should be really F&F by Sept 27th.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
Pat,

I don't know how I've missed this thread but the itinerary you've put together is absolutely superb.  I'm sure there will be a lot of happy faces at Mountain Ridge next month, thanks to your generosity and efforts.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
More good news.

For those of you attending or thinking of attending, Steve Lapper can make arrangements for you to play Dellwood, a unique Tiliinghast golf course about a half an hour north of Mountain Ridge.

Dellwood is a neat golf course with a very unique history.

Steve Lapper can be reached at 908-432-1772 or emailed at Slapper@me.com

Dellwood is an interesting study.
It begins around 1918.
It's had two major alterations by Mitchell and RTJ, but, my understanding is that either Gil Hanse or Jim Urbina will be developing a restoration/revitalizaton Master Plan for the new owners.

Contact Steve and make arrangements to play Dellwood prior to or just after the Sept 27th get together.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:57:47 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
Since I'm going to put the hole locations in unusual to highly competitive positions on every hole, should we have some fun competitions that won't extend the time to play the round ?

I'm open to suggestions, but, leaning toward the "best of the foursome" type of competition rather than individual competitions for the sake of fast play.

Choice of tees will be mostly dependent upon handicap with the "Championship" tees reserved for low handicaps since the course, a par 71, plays at over 7,000 yards.

Wide fairways, big greens, but difficult rough.

And, those Ross greens with their slopes and contours will present a very difficult test, especially with the hole locations chosen.

In late September the course should be very F&F.

Suggestions.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
With Brad Klein, Ron Prichard, Cliff Moore and Mike Davis speaking, it might be helpful to solicit questions that they can incorporate into their presentation.

Some have already submitted questions, but, I'd like to solicit additional questions for such an esteemed panel, especially if you won't be able to attend.

If you are attending, you can always ask the question during the Q&A period or after golf on the patio.

Mike Davis's time with us might be limited, so if you have questions for him, I'd suggest that you send them to me.

Thanks

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »
Pat,

Your "best of foursome" approach sounds perfect. I think I can speak for a lot of us...we're really looking forward to a super day for the gang and friends of GCA! The speaker line-up alone confirms the effort being made to really have some stimulating exchanges. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Pat Burke

« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2010, 01:44:47 AM »
Pat Mucci,
Given my family's history at Mountain Ridge, I only wish I could attend!
Everybody is in for a treat

Bill Brightly

« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2010, 08:42:29 AM »
If anyone is looking for a place to play Sunday afternoon, Jerry Kluger and I are playing Hackensack (Banks.)  We need two. I can probably arrange for more if demand warrants. Message me if interested.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back