News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Old Macdonald is the Stephen Strasburg of GCA
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »
Tom: You aren't old enough to remember Spooner - go ahead, tell me you also remember Reese, Gilliam, Snider, Hodges, Roe, Furillo, Erskine, Labine, etc., etc.!

Jerry:

No, I am only old enough to remember Bob Gibson and Denny McLain.  But I have read an awful lot about baseball history ... probably more than about golf history.

Plus, my parents were both Cardinals fans transplanted to New York, and they went to a lot of games at Ebbets Field before I was born.  So, I've heard a lot about the Dodgers, especially Reese and Campy and Furillo, who I imagine to have been a lot like Dwight Evans.  And I did meet Jackie Robinson when I was a kid ... he lived in Stamford when I grew up, and we went to his house to learn about integrating the public schools.

I do not know nearly so much about the Dodgers pitchers but I could tell you about darn near every Cardinals prospect between 1940 and 1980, since my dad was still grumbling about guys like Tom Poholsky and Alpha Brazle twenty years after they'd retired.

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 09:52:28 PM »
Tom Doak a Cardinals fan?! That messes with my whole world view!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Benham

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »

Well, if baseball learned anything from Mark Pryor/Kerry Wood saga is that young pitchers should be on a very strict pitch count.

I respectfully disagree ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »
Tom: I will admit that at a very, very young age I saw Stan Musial at Ebbets Field and later saw Sandy Koufax's last game pitched at Shea.  Unfortunately, my other brother was a Yankee fan and I spent too many Sunday afternoons at a double header at Yankee stadium

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
Tom Doak a Cardinals fan?! That messes with my whole world view!

Jud:

The previous Tom Doak [my dad] was the Cardinals fan.  I sometimes root for them in his memory.

The first game I attended was a game of the 1964 World Series in New York -- Yankees vs. Cardinals.  I was 3 1/2.  Alas, my dad's plan backfired ... growing up in proximity to New York, I became a Yankees fan.  Most of my friends though it was a poor choice until I was 14 or 15, but in the years since it has more than evened out.  ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
Well lets hope Bandon doesn't hire Dusty Baker as Old Mac's next super...we don't want him to run it into the ground like he did with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior's arms!!! :)

Steve Strasburg has some nasty stuff.

I did attend the 20k performance of Kerry Wood's way back in 1998 at Wrigley and it was by far the most impressive performance by a pitcher I've ever seen...I've never seen another pitcher switch from a 95+ mph fastball with a hard slider like that.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back