News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: One-club Tournament?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »

I just miss watching him play golf.  Although that link about the one-club tournament mentioned Trevino ... that would be my dream match ... me and Seve vs. Urbina and Trevino.

I'd help you pay part of the plane fare to watch this.

Even today,I'd probably bet Seve against the field in a one-club tournament.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
I fully agree using a putter for the one club would be silly.

I just can't see the benefit of forcing people to putt with a 4iron.  What does this show?  What's the benefit?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »
I have a friend who plays international golf who would enjoy this. A few years ago when we were both about 15 I had beat him in a match with a few holes to play for a couple of pounds. On the 18th tee of RCD #2 he offered to go “double or quits” on a long drive competition, with me using my driver  and him his 60* lob wedge. I agreed thinking it an easy way to double my winnings. I proceeded to hit the ball about 240 yards down the middle and then remarked that he would never have a chance beating it. He then took out the lob wedge and deliberately thinned it 280 yard, band-on in the centre of the fairway. We both then proceeded to birdie the Par 4 with him hitting all three of his shots with the wedge. Though for the next few weeks he proceeded to tell everyone he met how he out-drove with his lob wedge. :P ;D

Alex Miller

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
I fully agree using a putter for the one club would be silly.

I just can't see the benefit of forcing people to putt with a 4iron.  What does this show?  What's the benefit?

It's not as hard as you might think. It really tests your judgement when deciding whether or not to thin a lag putt or "chip" it. It will probably only cost you 3-4 putts a round if you are wise with it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
I'm not saying it couldn't be done, nor am I saying it would be all that hard.  I just continue to fail to see the benefit in forcing people to do it.

To me, one club plus putter would bring out the best in people and show what the course really has to offer.  One club without putter eliminates real putting, and I want to see that on great greens like these.

If Mickelson misses putt after putt, I don't want him to have an excuse.

And yes, these do go to 11.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »
I have a friend who plays international golf who would enjoy this. A few years ago when we were both about 15 I had beat him in a match with a few holes to play for a couple of pounds. On the 18th tee of RCD #2 he offered to go “double or quits” on a long drive competition, with me using my driver  and him his 60* lob wedge. I agreed thinking it an easy way to double my winnings. I proceeded to hit the ball about 240 yards down the middle and then remarked that he would never have a chance beating it. He then took out the lob wedge and deliberately thinned it 280 yard, band-on in the centre of the fairway. We both then proceeded to birdie the Par 4 with him hitting all three of his shots with the wedge. Though for the next few weeks he proceeded to tell everyone he met how he out-drove with his lob wedge. :P ;D

Matthew, if that had been a balata ball he was hitting, you'd have won.  He would have cut that ball in half!   ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
I think I agree with Huck - I'd rather see 1+ putter - but if I had to go with 1, it would be my lucky 7. Like Roy McAvoy, 7 is my best friend on the course.

I would be very interested in a 1 club tourney, thanks for whoever posted the link. Hopefully someday...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
The guy who holds the one club record, Thad Daber, shot 70 with a 6 iron.  He had been a college golfer at NC State, then played some mini-tour stuff before going in the business world.  He could really play, and the 70 has been the record now for nearly 25 years.  If you look at the History link on the One-Club World Championship link, there are some reasonably well-known names up.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
I'll bet Phil Mickelson could do it with his 64-degree wedge and break 80.

Ironically, I'd take that bet just about anywhere other than the Jans...because it's only about 4800 yards...

But at 7000 yards, every par 4 between 300 and maybe 380 yard par 4.5 for him and every par 4 over 380 yards or so is a par 5 for him, and any par 3 over 180 or so is about a par 3.5....and think about the par 5s:  a 550 yard par 5 is a par 6.5 at least, maybe a par 7.

I figure with a 64 degree, he's playing to a par 90 or so, all due to distance constraints....

Uummmmmmmmmmm Dave,

Ground game.

If you can hit a putter 200 yards, I bet Lefty can hit the wedge that far too.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 08:46:35 PM »
This is something I would be all over if I could make it.  I've played a handful of nines with just one club (6-iron) and had an absolute blast, as the shot-making skills needed for every shot really make it fun.  You haven't lived until you've hit both a 50-yard flop shot and 240-yard rope hook both with a 6-iron.

If you're ever up for a one-club round at your home course, let me know as I'd love to give it a shot.

JC Jones

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:48 PM »
It has to be 4 or 6 iron.  I'd be in if location and timing permits.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 02:59:20 AM »
In!

Having enough club for the tee shot on Sahara if playing into the wind would be interesting.

I also liked Mr Keiser's idea of doing a "Solstice Tournament" or something - 72 holes in a day - I also liked his pricing scheme for the 4 rounds - very cool.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »

Putter?

No, but it is one of the few courses where you COULD putt it most of the way around if you wanted.  (#3 would be pretty difficult.)  In fact, I look forward to the day when Grant Rogers tries that and reports a score.

I'm surprised!... I've seen you knock a putt to 2 feet from half way down the 11th fairway at Baltray...

I'd probably choose a wedge if I were looking for a score... but maybe a 7-iron for more fun..... and hypothetically I'd most certainly be interested... But I won't be travelling to Bandon Dunes for it unfortunately...

Uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm, Ally? Ground game?

Hey there Garland... We're not talking about ground game here... We're talking about beating the next person... Around Old Mac I might be OK but I'm not so sure about round The Old Course for instance!...

But maybe you're right.... as long as you can take stroke and distance for getting in a pot bunker... and of course, it's all about teaching us placement and staying well out of those bunkers...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 04:30:17 AM »
Tom,

I think you should go for a 3 club format. As was said earlier, they're quite popular in the UK&I and Sweden also.

I wouldn't be interested in a 1 club competition myself, but I would play a 3 club game. I just have no interest in using a 5-iron (for example) on the greens. At least with a 3-club format, you can choose a putter, a mid-iron and a 3W for example.

If you're concerned about the turnout, then go with 3 clubs.

Dónal.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 05:47:07 AM »
Roberto de Vicenzo is reputed to have played one of the Argentinian courses in level par 72 using only a putter.

Years ago, playing the Old Course with my brother-in-law, I lost the match on the 16th by driving out of bounds.'I could do better with a putter,' I said. I did. I took 4.

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 06:24:16 AM »
I think you have to stick to 1 club.  1 + putter is an entirely different animal.  The club selection process and skill of putting with your club of choice is integral to the event.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »

Ironically, I'd take that bet just about anywhere other than the Jans...because it's only about 4800 yards...

But at 7000 yards, every par 4 between 300 and maybe 380 yard par 4.5 for him and every par 4 over 380 yards or so is a par 5 for him, and any par 3 over 180 or so is about a par 3.5....and think about the par 5s:  a 550 yard par 5 is a par 6.5 at least, maybe a par 7.

I figure with a 64 degree, he's playing to a par 90 or so, all due to distance constraints....

Uummmmmmmmmmm Dave,

Ground game.

No he can't.  Nobody can. 

False.  Skull a wedge and have it run down hill and you'll hit it 200.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
Yeah, I can't hit my lob wedge even 70 yards if I'm 75 from the green. But I can hit it 120 if I'm only 50 yards out!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

Uummmmmmmmmmm Dave,

Ground game.

No he can't.  Nobody can. 

False.  Skull a wedge and have it run down hill and you'll hit it 200.

Correct. Did you never hear the story about Christy O'Connor hitting 9 shots in a row on to the green at the 200 yard par-3 at Bundoran... Using 9 different clubs, starting with 3-iron and finishing with a wedge...

JESII

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
I swear I've hit a few greenside bunker shots 200 yards...but if Shivas says it's impossible I guess I'll settle for 175...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »
If it was 1 plus putter, people would carry a driver and a 9 iron and putt with the driver.  It would defeat the whole purpose of the event...

Very fine work there, my friend.  You found the loophole.

But the hope would remain that people do play in the true spirit of this event and make an actual putter their choice for the "plus putter" part of this.  However, to stop legal minds like yours from winning this on the first tee, the "Committee"would have final say on club choice for the putter part, and the rule will be that the putter chosen must be a real putter as approved by them.

And this then does achieve what has to be the real purpose of the event much better than having people use 4irons or 6irons to putt on these wonderful greens, as that's nothing but goofiness.  We'd see all the creativity to get to the greens, then real putting once on them.  And if people want to use putters from off the greens, more power to them, as that is creative as well.

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
If it was 1 plus putter, people would carry a driver and a 9 iron and putt with the driver.  It would defeat the whole purpose of the event...

Hadn't really considered this, but it would seem easy enough to fix by simply saying the club you designate as putter can only be used on the green. As long as you're playing with the rules, what's one more?

You are correct in the massive difference between a 64 wedge and a pitching wedge, but I'd guess Phil might just find a way to hit it long enough to scrap it around.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 10:55:06 AM »
It isn't a one-club tournament if you get to use two clubs....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »

So one changes the name.
See how simple life can be, JC?

;D

JC Jones

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 11:00:56 AM »

So one changes the name.
See how simple life can be, JC?

;D

I think Shivas will say that changing the whole thing to accommodate people who don't want a challenge is the exact type of mindset that is wrong with society today.

Plus, a 2 club tournament just doesn't have the same ring to it. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back