News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Prairie Club is Open - So lets hear some feedback
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
When is the Hanse/Old School course scheduled to open (approximately)?

Thanks in advance. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Tim, Was that tongue in cheek?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Pitner

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »
Adam,

No, it wasn't--sorry if I missed something.  I was looking at the Prairie Club's website which describes the Old School course.  I was thinking I might wait to visit until it's built.  Am I to understand that it's on hold? 

Michael Underwood

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
I am looking very forward to playing the courses at The Prairie Club on September 9 & 10.  We have a group of twelve that will play the courses on September 9 & 10 and stay at the lodge on the evening of the 9th.  I have heard great things about the Dunes course, but have also heard that the Pines course is also fun.  With the crew that is going I would imagine that we will also take in the Horse course in the evening with adult beverages in tow. ;D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »
I've just returned form two days of fun and frolic at PC. As has been mentioned before, the Dunes course is a blast. We played The Dunes today in ever increasing south winds. The fairway widths and corridors matched the scale perfectly. As did most of the green sizes. Ample room, and ground movement, gives the golfer freedom to choose their shot, both in shape, length and direction. The firm turf is still maturing, but plays perfectly fine. Ross is doing a great job, after what has to go down in history as one tough summer on golf turf.

There were few criticisms I could come up with, for either course.  They add to the prairie links landscape beautifully, providing yet another dimension, and price point, to the region. The clubhouse, staff and atmosphere are are all welcoming and nice.

The Pines course is a bit tighter on the freedom scale, because, Marsh's journey takes you both in and out of the Pines, with the out holes providing the width needed on these exposed holes, while the holes closer to the canyon felt much narrower, but not too narrow. The greens were fast and true with rather steep slopes sectioning off the varied pin positions. All the holes and shot demands required thought, and some precision. Recovery was almost always possible, testing the players creativity as well as touch.

I ran into Dr. Trimble who was touched by my acknowledging how his vision, of allowing everyone to enjoy this unique landscape is truly a gift to the golfers of the region and the world.

They did 2500 rounds in August and expect to do 3k in Sept. The current offer of a stay and play package, for $299/night with unlimited golf on both days, will be extended through to the end of this year, They currently do not have a closing date and will remain open as long as weather, and economics, permit. As a matter of fact, they have been so well received, there are a limited number of items available in the pro shop/store for sale. Re-supplying is also part of the issue, but I did not find out why that is. They just hired a new F&B manager who has already come up with a new, more extensive menu.

As expected, The Prairie Club has a great problem to have. Not enough accommodations for all their demand.

Fire away?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony Weiler

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »
Thanks for a nice update, Adam.  I hope they continue the Stay and Play pkg. next year, as I'm sure I could convince a few people we both know to make a trip to Valentine.   ;D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
Tony, Even if they raise the fee for the stay and play, it would be worth it.

I just would not expect that policy to continue. Membership will likely fill up rather quickly and people's one time chance to play, as public golfers, will have been missed. Hopefully I'm wrong, but with all the smiles on the faces of the people I saw in the bar, and in the restaurant, I wouldn't bank on missing out this year.

Keep your eyes on the weather and hopefully this will be a a year where we can play in every month. Snow cover being the only deterrent.

There were several holes of note on both courses.

The Pines has a Par 3 that goes towards the canyon #10 which I recall when I toured last year as being high quality. Upon playing it, I was not disappointed.

My trip included 3 friends, one who had never been to anything close to world class golf and was blown away by both courses. Another friend, enjoyed the Pines more because the wind was not as strong that day  ::) but I knew he'd like the Pines better because of the trees. BTW, He hates Wild horse, so you can easily see what type of courses he prefers. That remaining friend is a sportsman and really enjoyed the Dunes, with the howling winds and kept saying how he loved that he finished with the same ball he started.

Almost forgot, The HORSE course.

The expected fun scale was shattered. We all had a blast creating the next hole. Score was irrelevant and we even played stymies to make it exponentially more yuck filled.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:53:44 PM by Adam Clayman »

Steve_Roths

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2010, 01:34:20 PM »
Adam,

Any word on how soon the Hanse course will be open?  2011..2012?

Thanks.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
Steve, No word. But I did not ask. I typically look at these forward looking statements on intent, like a semi-bluff in poker. That's when you make a raise on the come. You don't have a hand yet, but, if it does hit, you are sitting very pretty. So, I would expect that the Old School course will go in when the financial viability of the entire club is much more certain. Certainly the initial reaction to the club, having done 2500 rounds in Aug and likely 3k in Sept. looks great. But. like all other things here in Nebraska, when new places start out, everybody has to check it out. The test will come once the bloom is off the rose, and the players repeatedly come back. My impression is that the courses are good enough to keep them coming back, and by having the two different types or styles, will make most people happy and they shall return.

I know of one member that lives in Kearney and has been going up 3 times a week. He just loves the place.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Adam-
What is the plan for 2011 for mix of public and private play?  All the literature they've sent me suggests that there will always be a course open to public play, but your posts above suggest that may change.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
Thanks Adam...I've been waiting for someone to update us. 

It looks like it would be well worth it to make another trek out to the Sand Hills region. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Hines

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the update Adam, I will be there at the end of next week and am really looking forward to my time away from the world.

J.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2010, 07:53:54 PM »
I"m mulling over a road trip out there last week of Sept or Oct., from WI.  If I can find a rider along the way that would like to drop into the Prairie Club and then on to Wild Horse (about a 4 day stay)  I'm willing to go slightly out of the way off the I90 or 80 corridors to make the pickups.  Of course that is also subject to calling to see if we can get a slot at PC. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »
Adam-
What is the plan for 2011 for mix of public and private play?  All the literature they've sent me suggests that there will always be a course open to public play, but your posts above suggest that may change.

Carl, I did not suggest that. I speculated, and encourage people not to wait, just in case.

As I said, I went to the PC with some buddies from here. I didn't really feel like being critical of the golf courses, nor, did I ask any questions of the management team, or staff. Which by the way, was working late into the night and was there bright and early the next morning.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:03:03 PM by Adam Clayman »

Bill Kubly

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
RJ,

If you do decide to make the trip west and you go via I-80 I would love to have you stop and play our ArborLinks in Nebraska City.  If you stay in our lodging which like Sutton Bays, the golf is on me.  Mr. Youngscap considered ArborLinks the second best course in the state recently and I do believe it is one of the best kept secrets on this GCA site.  I would enjoy playing with you and your group, but I will be at the Ryder Cup at that time.  If your trip gets pushed back after the 12th of October I might be able to play.

Eric Smith

« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2010, 11:54:19 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I'd say you get to do a lot of that, living out there in Heaven. :)

I hope to make the journey again next summer and Prairie Club will certainly be on the itinerary this time. 

I mean, c'mon, look at this place...

Hope to see you out there.

Eric

RJ_Daley

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »
That is very generous of you to invite me Bill.   I had been intending to get up there to see AL for several years now and it kept getting pushed aside when we get over golfed out in gothenburg and Holyoke and Ogallala. I'll IM you with possible plans.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
I was reading this thread, and the pictures of the course look fabulous.  So I looked at my map to find Valentine, NE.

Holy shit, I thought Mullen was remote, this place is another hour into the wilderness!!! 

Your local golf options have got to be really poor to want to make that trip more than once or twice a decade.

Eric Smith

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »
I was reading this thread, and the pictures of the course look fabulous.  So I looked at my map to find Valentine, NE.

Holy shit, I thought Mullen was remote, this place is another hour into the wilderness!!! 

Your local golf options have got to be really poor to want to make that trip more than once or twice a decade.

Wilderness, yes, but it's not a spooky forest or anything Paul!  Let me put it this way -- once you visit the region, it will haunt you.

Will Smith

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
Adam,

Thanks for the update. Great to hear someone being positive and upbeat about this project.

I will continue to be a cheerleader for it because I truly believe that it is great spot that could be important in the American Public golf scene.

Paul,

Valentine is hard to get to, but interestingly is located at a crossroads between the main east-west road across northern Nebraska and the main north-south route between I-90 and I-76 and has been a regional vacation destination for a long time.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/travel/escapes/03american.html?scp=1&sq=with%20a%20paddle&st=cse

If you make the trip just once this decade, you will want to go back next decade.

- Will

RJ_Daley

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2010, 01:57:07 PM »
Paul OConner, actually my local options are pretty good, reasonably priced, accessible and all the trimmings.  It takes me a long 14 hours to get to my original touchstone golf course there at Wild Horse.  But, there is nothing, I mean, nothing like being in the region of the real Sand Hills.  (Gothenburg is but a mere introduction on the periphery)  I don't know if you've really travelled about in that region, but not too many 'back east' folk I know, come away without an alluring and haunting yen to return there.  Of course, it still may not be your particular cup of tea.  But, in a general way and anecedotally speaking, I hardly know anyone that doesn't feel moved in some emotional way by the vastness and harmony of land, sea of grasses prairies, married to big sky that one experiences out there.  And, since we can't actually be 'City Slicker' cowboys and do what comes natural out there on the 'lone prairie', we have to revert to the enjoyable passtime we know and can participate in, the urban cowboy golfer...  ;) ;D

Mac Plumart

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
Paul...

I can't speak to your local options or what you've seen in your golfing career.

But for me and my limited experience, I've never seen anything like the golf in that part of the country.  I haven't seen any picture or write-up that could adequately capture the scale of the area.  So, for me it was well worth the trip to that part of the country.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »
Gents, don't get me wrong here, I was out at Sand Hills last year right around this time.  It was cold, I got rained on for two days straight, the wind pretty much howled the whole time, and I loved it.  The vast bleakness of the landscape is both beautiful and haunting. 

But, north cental Nebraska is a long way from anywhere.  And Valentine is further than Sand Hills.  These are certainly great courses, but they are located in really far away hard to get to locations.  I am glad I went, but unless one of you fellows comes and picks me up in a plane and land me on the first fairway, it's going to be a long time before I return.   

RJ_Daley

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
Man, if I had the means of my own plane, and the ping to support a membership and all that, I'd be out there every other weekend!!!  ;D ;D ;D

But your point is well taken, Paul.  In a way, the private model whereby it seems the most avid of golfers who seek the experience, have been getting those one in a lifetime opportunities to play those private, unique and alluring sand hill golf offerings.  Sometimes, that which is most difficult to garner, and rare to experience, make the best memories.  Who knows, if one was of the mode that could frequently visit and utilize the golf facilities out there in the vast prairie, maybe one might get stale.  Man, I'd be willing to put THAT to a test!!!  :o ;D 8)

Tony Weiler

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like you guys had a great time.  I'd say you get to do a lot of that, living out there in Heaven. :)

I hope to make the journey again next summer and Prairie Club will certainly be on the itinerary this time.  

I mean, c'mon, look at this place...

Hope to see you out there.

Eric

Eric, that looks a lot like the course we played 75 miles south!  A return trip next summer is in order!  Interestingly, I'll be driving that way again next week on my way to Ballyneal.  I am going to play WH on the return trip, and have thought about PC, but would rather tee that one up with others who may want to "pull beards" after!   ;D  TW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back