News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Kubly

Re: Prairie Club is Open - So lets hear some feedback
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
I am playing there on Friday and Saturday as well and will report back.  I hear from one of my Project managers that the Marsh course is spectacular as he played it about 10 days ago.  The Lehman course is suppose to open at the end of the month if all goes well.

Jim Colton

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
Bill,

I have a tee time scheduled for the Lehman course scheduled for next Monday. Did they delay the opening fir some reason?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:38 PM »
Dan, They have two 18 hole courses and one 10 hole course.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ron Farris

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
Bill K.
There is no doubt in my mind that you know how well these courses are.
With the beauty of the trees and the canyon views, not to mention its protection from the elements, I think the Marsh Course will become a preferred play.  That is not to say that it is any better, or even as good as the Lehman Course.  They are contrasting enough, in my mind to warrant a thumbs up for both.  The Horse Course is just beautiful, fun, and convenient with access - Cigars, beer, whiskey and wine, and it too is like nothing you will find at The Sand Hills Club, Ballyneal, or Wildhorse. 
Play well and don't forget to post further feedback. :D

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 01:39:40 AM »
I find it hard to believe that not one single GCAer has played Prairie Club yet. Obviously much of the contingent was present at the Old Mac opening but still, I'm somewhat shocked. This seems akin to a distributor scheduling their film to open against a summer blockbuster.

The Prairie Club is very interesting to me, especially the Horse Course. The private element of the club is well documented. I have truouble with the "temporary public" aspect. If die hard architecture junkies aren't headed to PC en masse, how many outside this group will really make the effort? Will the golf courses be special enough to draw regular golfers, public or potential members?

Jim Tang

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »
Wyatt -

Good point.  Hard to believe not one GCA member has played the courses.  Myself, Jeff and Colton will be out there a week from today.

When I made my reservations the Prairie Club sent me a package about membership.  Every now and then I'll get a letter updating me on the status of their enrollment.  I believe they have the majority of their founding memberships filled.

So, perhpas in the future the club will rely more on being entirely private vs. the private/public model.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
That's a good article, and the other one on Schock is really good as well.  From the picture, it looks like a long way between many of the holes.  I wonder what walking it will be like?

Bill Kubly

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
Jim,
They now have us playing the Marsh course twice on Friday and the Lehman on Saturday, so I guess it is open.  Not sure I will have time to stay and play the Lehman, but we have an 7:30 tee time that day so at least we will get out and review the course or play a 2.5 hour round and then head for home.

Jim Tang

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
I called out there yesterday and was told that all 3 courses are open for play.

jeffwarne

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
I spoke with someone who played the Dunes yesterday. He said it was wonderful.

He apparently paid $220 to play it. Of course he is going to say it was wonderful! ;)

Would it be better if it was strictly private and no one had to/got to pay the $220?

or would it be better if they charged $60-100 and the members looked like schmucks for joining and paying dues?

Perhaps they want the "preview" rounds to be somewhat self selective and attract a demographic that could actually afford to become members
always a pain when a pesky business plan gets in the way of cheap golf
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dave Falkner

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »
Jeff

stop being such a capitalist! :)

Jud_T

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:23 AM »
jeff,

This is standard operating procedure for fledgling remote clubs these days.  I think this is a fascinating case study and hopefully leads to both more of a semi-private model in this country as well as a Nebraska golf trail of interesting destination courses....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:30:53 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 11:53:38 AM »
I spoke with someone who played the Dunes yesterday. He said it was wonderful.

He apparently paid $220 to play it. Of course he is going to say it was wonderful! ;)

Would it be better if it was strictly private and no one had to/got to pay the $220?

or would it be better if they charged $60-100 and the members looked like schmucks for joining and paying dues?

Perhaps they want the "preview" rounds to be somewhat self selective and attract a demographic that could actually afford to become members
always a pain when a pesky business plan gets in the way of cheap golf

As Adam pointed out to me, the ownership and concept had changed from when I first read about the Prairie Club years ago. I was operating under incorrect assumptions.

However, I will point out that the Golfweek article linked to later says they were using the Bandon model. ??? So I guess I can be excused for being confused. ??? Unless Bandon is private and that is yet another thing I have not discovered yet.
 ::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Will Smith

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
Tony,

The Lehman course is meant to be walked. There are maybe two or three transitions of longer than 30 yards and none that are overly taxing.  Many tees are adjacent to the prior putting green. When I  get back out there, I may play a composite of the tees that are closet to that days hole location.

I think it will be a harder walk than Sand Hills, but still very doable. 36 on foot will be only for the hearty, though.

- Will

Richard Choi

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
AT $220/round, it is highly unlikely that a guy like me will fly out there any time soon. Why would I spend that money to go to Prairie Dunes when I can spend that money at Bandon Dunes, which is arguably easier to get to with better surroundings (not to mention better courses)?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »
Rich,

Prairie Club might be easier to get to for mid-west and east coast golfers depending on where they would fly into and drive from - not sure. It seems like people in other parts of the country are used to paying more for golf than we are in the PNW (where we find Chambers and Tetherow expensive at $150ish).

As has been mentioned, if the rounds were $100 or something then I doubt there would be much incentive to join.

For those of us fortunate to live on the west coast - esp within a 7ish hour drive to Bandon - I would agree that the choice to travel to Nebraska is a tough one. Bandon must be the top golf resort in the world -if not - then certainly in the US.

Since you will be heading out to BN anyways - maybe you can take a couple more days off, drive a few hours northeast and put a brush tee in the ground at PC? I'll be there on July 7th to 9th am if you want to meet up. :)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 08:51:18 AM »
Garland. As I recall the scenario the notion to follow the Bandon model WAS part and parcel of the ethos to allow more people to experience playing in the area. Since the new model is private that model is not being strictly followed. Having a green fee for non-members still keeps that ethos alive, albeit, discriminating price wise. Recent severe weather has been rumbleing through the region. Last night in particularly harsh. I suspect the courses are holding up well since last year was also very wet. When I visited in Oct. The trouble spots became detectable and were remidied. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jud_T

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
AT $220/round, it is highly unlikely that a guy like me will fly out there any time soon. Why would I spend that money to go to Prairie Dunes when I can spend that money at Bandon Dunes, which is arguably easier to get to with better surroundings (not to mention better courses)?

Richard,

This is really the key question.  The standard of courses both on the public and private side for National clubs is quite high currently and given the economy there is access to some of the best private courses on offer. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Choi

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
Rob, if I didn't already book my flights through Denver, I probably would join you, but it is too much of a drive, I am afraid. Perhaps next year. I will wait until we get a bit more reviews from other GCA'ers to see if it worth the detour.

JC Jones

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:03 PM »
Anyone, Anyone?  Beuller?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Will Smith

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
I have been. Walked 3 rounds on the Dunes, and 1 on the Pines in mid July.

I have a clear bias as I helped build the Dunes, but all I can honestly say is that the Dunes ranks very, very high on the fun factor. It was firm while I was there. It was not playing as fast around the greens as I nor the owner would like, but that will come as the grass matures and they can lower the cut.

I enjoyed the Pines as well.

Bill Kubly

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
I played both courses last Friday and truly enjoyed them.  The fog was very heavy as we teed off on the Pines course, and the day ended up with 15 mph winds.  I had played the Pines course on opening day as well and feel that most golfers will really enjoy this course.  This course weaves in and out of the pines area which is very unique to Nebraska.  Scoring comes pretty easy on this course if you can stay out of trouble and play the right tees.  They have widened out the landing areas by cutting the native grasses so you can find your errant tee shots.  A great golf course. 

I drove the Lehman course with Graham Marsh on opening day as it still needed a little growing in. I was pleasantly surprised how well this course played last week as well and is wide open off of the tees.  It is one of those courses that you will want to play more than once to figure out the right way to play some of the holes.  The boldness of this course will require you to use their yardage book which is one of the best I have ever seen.  Another great experience.

We had 12 golfers in our group and I think everyone totally enjoyed the experience playing all 36 holes in one day.  I was especially surprised with great scoring by many of the players on the Dunes Course which I think is the tougher of the two.  After a great day of golf at The Prairie Club, we boarded a plane and flew to Sutton Bay for dinner and the start of 2 more full days of golf at Sutton Bay which is in super condition. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2010, 10:04:43 AM »
After a great day of golf at The Prairie Club, we boarded a plane and flew to Sutton Bay for dinner and the start of 2 more full days of golf at Sutton Bay which is in super condition. 

Mr. Kubly --

If you're trying to make the rest of us envious ... well, you succeeded!

Mr. Kelly
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Will Smith

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2010, 11:41:31 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I think you are absolutely correct that the Dunes is a course that needs to be played a bunch to even begin to figure out the many different ways to play the holes. We built it in the summer of '08 and it was particularly windy so the course kept getting wider as we built it. We wanted a person who had made the trek to get there to be able to play even if it was blowing 40 to 50 mph. The result is super wide fairways with many centerline bunkers and a myriad of ways to play hole depending on conditions and pin positions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back