News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Roger Wolfe

Re: Favorite Walks in Golf...
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Walking into Sea Island Golf Club through the quarter mile "live oak tunnel."

Walking from the parking lot up the hill onto the event lawn at Carolina Golf Club in Charlotte
and seeing the entire course open up below and in front of you.  Freddie Couples is quoted
as saying in the parking lot last Tuesday, "Where in the hell is the golf course?"  When he
walked up onto the event lawn he said, "This is going to be fuuuuuuun!"

Walking down 18 fairway at Primland with the Dan River gorge directly on your right
for about 300 yards.

Walking up to the 17th green at Roaring Gap onto the green perched on the edge of a cliff.

Walking down 16 fairway at TPC Sawgrass into the stadium" that is the 16th green/
17th green complex.

Walking up to the 12th tee then down the 12th fairway of Arcadia Bluffs with Lake Michigan
150 below you for about 430 yards.

Paul Jones

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »
14 Hole at Pine Valley
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Rob Rigg

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2010, 12:19:26 AM »
I've always really enjoyed the anticipation walks:

- 3rd Green to 4th Tee at Pacific
- 12th Green to 13th Tee at Pacific
- Parking Lot to 1st Tee at Cavan
- 13th Green to 14th Tee at Summit
- 10th Green to 11th Tee at Ballybunion
- 15th Green to 16th Tee at Bandon

Dean Stokes

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
14 green to 15 tee at Friars. May also be the hardest also.....

16 green to 17 tee at Seminole.

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2010, 09:10:50 AM »
Down hill on the 18th at Kapalua after you crushed your drive and watched it roll forever.  Looks even better than on TV.

Every view on that course is amazing.

Is that a favorite walk or a favorite ride as carts are mandatory there...

Carts are not mandatory at Kapalua....there are caddies available.  I was there with my wife, who drove the cart as I walked the course save the 3 'Mercedes cart rides they use during the event'....of which the one on 8 from tee to green is ridiculous.....it is neither long nor strenuous.

Shane Wright

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
Some of my favorites:

1. walk up the 18th at St. Andrews
2. 2nd to the 3rd tee at Royal Dornoch
3. Over the crest of the hill on #9 at Royal County Down
4. walk up the 18th at Muirfield
5. from the 3rd tee thru the gorse path at Pacific Dunes
6. walk up the 1st hole at Prairie Dunes knowing how much fun the rest of the day will be
7. " to the 1st tee Sand Hills
8.  from the parking lot to the clubhouse at Bethpage knowing you are holding THE #
9.  from #6-18 Ballybunion
10. walk up the 18th at Waterville

Ok, I should stop, i can't rank a favorite one and I could go on all day.  For sentimental reasons, Waterville and Dornoch will probably always bring a smile and some tears.

BCyrgalis

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »
The walk down the 11th fairway at Sebonack, with the green lying low against the backdrop of the Peconic Bay.  And just behind it is the 12th green.

TomD, this is one of the more spectacular places I have ever been in my life.  Thank you.

John Cornish

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Here's four -

Cresting the hill on the 9th fairway at Kingston Heath.

Coming around the corner revealing the 17th green at Royal Dornoch (ideally in May).

Leaving the tee on the 16th hole on TOC late in the evening when the sun shnes on the town.

The walk from 16th green to the 17th tee - TPC Sawgrass, and the lump of terror building in the throat.

billb

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »
Any walk on any hole at Cruden Bay.
Agreed.
My favorite at Cruden Bay: the short walk up the stairs from the 14th green to the 15 tee. The 14th is a fairly deep and well sheltered punchbowl green, the 15th tee is right next to the beach. With each step up the rough wooden stairs, you feel a bit more breeze and hear a bit more of the ocean. Very cool.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
Just finished three straight days of walking 36 at Ballyneal. There was a marvelous anticipation walking down the hill and around the bunker to see where the ball ended up on number 7 and what sort of fun and interesting shot that would be next.

The 18th hole at the Old Course over the Swilken bridge is cool too. All the folks behind the green watching.

Bart

Gary Slatter

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
My favourite is still the former walk home from St Andrews Golf Club at 4:00 pm after playing at 8:00 am.

It is second to playing 18 holes at Dornoch in the afternoon with my wife Carolyn and Marley.

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

archie_struthers

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
 ;D :D ;)

Great , great post for many of us as it rekindles many nice memories...however the walk from the 5th tee at Portrush to the fairway is about as good as it gets. When I took the right fork to the fairway I almost forgot all the bad shots I've ever hit.  If Gene Kelly and Van Johnson were right around the corner it wouldn't have surprised me at all !

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Any walk around this course.......

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
The boat ride isn't bad either

Simon Holt

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
The new walk from 15th green to 16th tee at Friar's Head.  Absolutely stunning.

Obviously the walk from my house to the first tee at North Berwick rates pretty highly too, especially if a few pints of Belhaven Best in Tantallon GC await after the round.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »
Walking the 2nd hole at Caledonia Golf & Fish Club.

The walk from the train station in North Berwick to the starter's hut.

Any hole that you happen to be sharing with sheep or cattle at Brora!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joe Fairey

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »
The walk up 18 on the Old Course is tops....crossing the Hogan Bridge to 12 green at Augusta a close second

Mickey Boland

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 12:31:27 AM »
The walk down Golf Club Rd, past the lawn bowling green, and onto the first tee at Royal Dornoch with the sign there.

Martin Toal

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:50 AM »
The walk over the crest of the hill at the 9th at Royal County Down, revealing the fairway below opening with the backdrop of the Mountains of Mourne and the clubhouse in front.

The walk back to the car at The Belfry.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2010, 07:32:25 AM »
Like Sean, I like the walk from 14 green to 15 tee on Crail Balcomie.  I also love the walk from the back of the cottage we rent in Elie, along the road running along the 4th fairway, across the road to the 18th tee, down the 18th fairway to the 1st tee at the Golf House Club.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
The walk out of the office at lunchtime, with an afternoons golf ahead  ;D

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Brent Hutto

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
The walk from the 14th green to 15th tee at CPC....or the 15th to 16th - take your pick ?

I'd pick the very short walk from the 16th green to the 17th tee. For most people the 16th tee at Cypress Point seems to be the absolute peak of the peak experience but I purely love the entire 17th tee and fairway.

George Freeman

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »
The complex of tees and greens at the Kingsley Club which includes:

- 1st green
- 2nd green
- 5th green
- 4th green
- 3rd tee

Regardless of which hole you're playing, walking through that part of the course on a late summer evening, with the sun casting shadows over all the humps and ripples that abound at the KC, is truly something special.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Carl Johnson

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:55 PM »
. . . .
Walking from the parking lot up the hill onto the event lawn at Carolina Golf Club in Charlotte
and seeing the entire course open up below and in front of you.  Freddie Couples is quoted
as saying in the parking lot last Tuesday, "Where in the hell is the golf course?"  When he
walked up onto the event lawn he said, "This is going to be fuuuuuuun!"

Roger, standing on the "event lawn" (a/k/a "old putting green") several weeks ago I paid attention for the first time to what you can actually see.  In fact, you saw me there as you teed off on number 3.  You can clearly see parts of 15 holes from one spot, all except 11, 12 & 13.  The back of the tee on 11 may also count, but I couldn't see any of 12 or 13, at least that I could recognize as such.  I'll look again, and bring some binoculars.  Seeing as many as 15 is something special.  I was even thinking of posting a GCA item asking about other courses that had so many (or more) holes in view from next to the clubhouse.

Richard Choi

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
I have a new winner.

The walk from the 7th green at Old Mac to the turnhouse. The view of the ocean and Sheeps Ranch in the distance is awe-inspiring.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back