News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Favorite Walks in Golf...
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
In my opinion, the walk to your drive on the 17th hole at The Old Course.  The anticipation is off the charts as you round the shed and are imminently faced with perhaps the greatest approach shot in the game, literally aching to pull it off and make four.  Made all the better by the fact that you look to the left across the wonderful unfolding expanse of tightly knit turf interupted only by the low profile of the Swilcan Burn and Granny Clark's Wynd against the surreal yet familiar backdrop of the Royal & Ancient clubhouse.  In my mind's eye as I type these words it is as vivid as the real thing.  The walk up the 18th is like going home - I can only hope no one sees the tears.

There is no close second.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JNC Lyon

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
This is a great thread.  A few of mine:

The 13th at Oak Hill (East).  The entire hole gets more stunning every time I play it, but the walk up to the green in the late evening is magical.

The 2nd at North Berwick after hitting a good tee shot.  Fortunately, I got to make this walk during my one play.

The 17th at Prestwick.  There is nothing more fun than scrambling over a hill to see the result of a blind shot.  The Alps is the original in this department, and I loved it.

1-18 at Merion.  I could not have enjoyed this more during the Walker Cup.

The last hole of a tournament when you are playing well. There is no better feeling for me.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
This is a great thread.  A few of mine:

The 2nd at North Berwick after hitting a good tee shot.  Fortunately, I got to make this walk during my one play.

The walk along the beach at the 2nd at North Berwick after successfully playing a shot off the sand onto the green!   ;D ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
...the walk to 18 at Harbour Town, when you round the corner past the grove of live oaks and finally see the candy striped lighthouse.   Always puts a smile on my face.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 10:45:01 AM »
JNC.....even with that potent smell of Sulphur ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
A long one with my putter in hand.

I hear that causes blindness

Sean Leary

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »
A long one with my putter in hand.

I hear that causes blindness

Just outstanding, Jason.

Jim Briggs

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »

Perhaps because I had a built up anticipation from some I've what I've read here, but having played The Ocean Course at Kiawah for the first time this weekend, I enjoyed the walk from 13 green to 14th tee, when you get a glimpse of the 14th green and start your way back for the finish.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
A short but sweet walk quickly comes to mind.

Walking of the 15th green at Merion to the 16th tee.  When I walk off of 15 green Im already looking over my right shoulder to catch a glimpse of the hole to come.

I also like the walk coming down the 10th tee at Waynesborough CC.  It offers a great view of the back nine to come when walking down from that elevated back tee.

Mark  

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Bruce Katona

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Down hill on the 18th at Kapalua after you crushed your drive and watched it roll forever.  Looks even better than on TV.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
The walk to the first tee at Sand Hills.

To the 15th tee at Cypress Point.

To the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 17th and 18th at Pebble Beach.

To the 4th, 10th and 11th tees at Pacific Dunes.

To the 11th tee at LACC North.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
The quarry walk at Merion East #16.  Can you imagine the greats that have traveled that path before you?

Matt Bosela

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »
For something different -

The walk up the tiny, claustrophobic stairway lined with great historic photos into Oakmont's men's locker room.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
the walk from 9 green to 10th at Bel Air: through the tunnel, up the elevator through the clubhouse to the swinging bridge!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »
The walk up the sand covered stairs to the third tee at Prairie Dunes.
The walk up the hill at the sixth at Pebble.
The walk to the fourth tee at Ballyneal.
The walk to the first tee at Crystal Downs.
The walk from the bar to the back patio at NGLA looking out over 18 with a southside in hand.
The walk from the bar to the deck at CC of Fairfield overlooking the entire course below clutching an ice cold rum float.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
Walking up the 18th at TOC with my dad and a crowd of maybe 40 people scattered along the walls.
Walking to the 6th green at Dornoch when the gorse in is fulll bloom.
Any walk at Enniscrone from the 11th to the 16th. The dunes are so huge that you just lose yourself in the game.

Jud_T

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
Down the fairway when you thought you hit it tight and no ball is visible on the green....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Martin

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
The walk on the tenth hole at Yale. You have fingers crossed on the tee ball and second hoping that the golf gods are smiling on you as you have no line of sight as to where the ball ended up on either shot. :o There is nothing better than having your ball on the proper tier on the green in regulation. This still does not ensure a two putt.   

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
Down hill on the 18th at Kapalua after you crushed your drive and watched it roll forever.  Looks even better than on TV.

Every view on that course is amazing.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
Except if you played it in a driving rain like I did...

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 07:43:43 PM »
The walk from the third green at Shinnecock to the fourth tee, looking at the Redan as you go, and starting to think about playing it 3 holes in advance.

JC Jones

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
There are many of these, and I'm fortunate to have had a hand in one or two.

The one that comes to mind this morning is the walk over the little bridge from the upper parking lot to the pro shop at Crystal Downs.  The tiny parking lot and the little bridge over the road say a lot about what's important to the club.  Plus, every time I get over to Crystal Downs, I'm excited to be there again, but especially so when the upper parking lot is available, because that means I'll have the course pretty much to myself.

You were close to stealing mine.  I was going to say when you make your way from the little putting green at Crystal Downs through the trees to the first tee and see the entire front nine open up before you, the beautiful landscape and Crystal Lake, all as you step on to the tee.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
Any walk on any hole at Cruden Bay.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Yancey
I played Cruden Bay on 2 occasions, once in a heavy fog and another on a beautiful sunny day. The heavy fog was actually a better walk, there were holes where it was only my dad and myself and the towering dunes with the long grass swaying in the wind. It was an incredible day of golf. It was cool to return 8 years later in the sun and actually see the other holes as we played it.
We teed off on 10 and only saw what turned out to be the 11th green so we played to it. The foursome playing 11 were surprised to see us.

You were right, any hole at Cruden Bay is a great walk. My favorite would be the 4th and 6th.

Richard Choi

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »

Every view on that course is amazing.

Is that a favorite walk or a favorite ride as carts are mandatory there...

My favorite, walking down the 1st hole from the tee box as you just launched one in front of a very vocal crowd.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back