News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeffrey Stein

Favorite Walks in Golf...
« on: May 27, 2010, 01:42:31 AM »
Sometimes during a round of golf I have said to myself: "this is the best walk in golf".  Where have you found these distinctly special walks? Could be anywhere before, during, or after your round.

For me I was struck with this sensation while walking off the back of the 15th green at Cape Kidnappers and out to the penninsula that is the 16th tee.  With the beach hundreds of feet below your feet and the entire Hawkes Bay spread before your eyes, its hard to beat.

I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Scott Warren

Re: Favorite Walks in Golf...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:46:24 AM »
From the 2nd green to the 3rd tee at Dornoch: emerging from the gorse tunnel (flowering when I was there) to see the links rolling out ahead of me.

Over the crest of the fairway on the 5th at New South Wales: always dazzles me and never gets old.

Over the ridge on Perfection at North Berwick: The panorama of North Berwick Law, the course, Bass Rock, the water, Redan waiting for you... perfection!

The walk to the first tee at Deal, because I know the next three hours will be idyllic.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:48:50 AM by Scott Warren »

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:56:40 AM »
The walk from the 4th green to 5th tee at Barnbougle Dunes is the first time you see the ocean and is pretty amazing.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:37 AM »

The walk to the first tee...

I knew someone would nail it!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »
The walk from the 14th green to 15th tee at CPC....or the 15th to 16th - take your pick ?

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:40:18 AM »
I think between Crail's 14th and 15th holes is my favourite.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:44:01 AM »
Some of mine:
The aforementioned walk at Barnbougle.
The walk up the last at the Old Course
The walk down the 17th fairway at Royal Melbourne West as a great greensite is revealed
The walk from the 5th green to the 6th tee at West Sussex
The walk over the rise on the 5th hole at New South Wales

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:50:51 AM »
The sprint from the 12th fairway at Kingston Heath into the tea tree along the right hand side when you are busting for a slash is pretty hard to beat.

Dustin Knight

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:47:32 AM »
The walk throught the soft sand from the clubhouse down to the 1st tee at Lost Farm knowing you are one of the first to ever experience it. There's something very humbling about going where "very few men have gone before you". I almost had tears in my eyes knowing how great this place is going to be and the priviledge I had to experience it. BTW Clayts, i love your little tee on 5!
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 05:58:49 AM »
Yes I would also have to agree the rush of coming up over the hill on #5 at NSW is a world-beater. 

As well as the serene (depending on the wind) view of the bay at Barnbougle between 4 and 5.  Its the perfect distance between green and tee, just giving you enough time to take in the view.

Bandon also has a few wow moments, like when you turn the corner on #4 at Bandon Dunes.  I also love to walk along right edge of the #4 fairway at Pac Dunes.  An incredible view.
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Dustin Knight

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 06:10:36 AM »
I must say I was guitly of extending the walk from 4-5 at Barny several times by walking to the 5th green along the path that goes via the 6th tee. One of the days we played the tide was up and Bass Straight was just a mill pond. I don't think I will ever forget how great that feeling was........ Knowing that every single golfer in the world would love to be in your shoes at that particular moment in time was something I will never forget!.......

After arriving in the dark and checking in, The anticipation during the walk from the cabins to the clubhouse upon sunrise on the first morning you are there is also quite surreal. There is certainly nothing else like it in this country (Aus)
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Gene Greco

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 06:24:29 AM »
Down from the 17th tee at NGLA and then up the 18th.

Through the giant dunes of the second at Portstewart.

Down the 18th at St Andrews.

Through the cypress trees on the 14th (yes, 14th) of Cypress Point.

Through the dunes of the 9th at The Maidstone.

Down the meandering 16th at Sand Hills.

Along the 9th at Pebble Beach.

Down the 1st at Shinnecock Hills.

Along the 1st at Macrihanish.

Down the 17th and 18th at Kapalua Plantation.

Along the 1st at Merrick Road Park.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »
Obviously, it's hard to beat the 1st and 18th holes at St. Andrews or the 15th and 16th at CPC.

However my "favorite" walk in golf is when I have any course almost to myself at sunset when the light can make any golf course look great. :) 
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »
A long one with my putter in hand.

Mike Leveille

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
From the 11th green at Kingsbarns to the 12th tee.  Love how you walk through the mini-forest, over the stream (burn), and then pop back out to the links and sea.

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 08:23:59 AM »
The 18th at Kiawah Island Ocean.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 08:28:05 AM »
The 18th at Kiawah Island Ocean.

Along those lines, the first 5 holes are one of my favorite walks. 

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »
The walk up 16 at Shinnecock with the clubhouse on the hill.
And while not a walk, the ride to the course at Sand Hills when you make the left after the warm up area and start to see the porch and course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 09:02:05 AM »
I think between Crail's 14th and 15th holes is my favourite.

Ciao

....especially when the gorse is in glorious bloom on that steep hillside behind the clubhouse!   ;D

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »
I think any round with a caddie is special. There's something about leaving the first tee and handing your driver to someone. Just gives me a different level of excitement.
Or any walking round where you are first off in the morning.
Specificallly. Dornoch. Kingsbarns. The Road Hole. After a good drive.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
There are many of these, and I'm fortunate to have had a hand in one or two.

The one that comes to mind this morning is the walk over the little bridge from the upper parking lot to the pro shop at Crystal Downs.  The tiny parking lot and the little bridge over the road say a lot about what's important to the club.  Plus, every time I get over to Crystal Downs, I'm excited to be there again, but especially so when the upper parking lot is available, because that means I'll have the course pretty much to myself.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »
Two for me..
The walk from 13 green to 14 teee at Merion, making sure you dont walk across the putting green, clubhouse to your right and the splendour and history of 18 green within touching distance.

Off the 14th green and across the road to 15 tee at Cypress...knowing or to some extent not knowing what comes next..

Carl Nichols

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »
Cresting the hill at #9 at RCD is pretty amazing stuff.

Jason Connor

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »
Any long walk with a putter in hand.

No one is listing the walk over the turnpike at Oakmont!?

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Mac Plumart

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »
I agree with these, but most of them seem to be on the world's greatest courses...so here is a lesser known local (Georgia) walk that I like...

14 and 15 at Achasta.  Like Pat Craig's answer, there is usually no one there.  And the green on 14 is the farthest away from the clubhouse and then you turn and head back home.  Back to back par 5's, north GA mountains surround the holes, last time about 5 deer ran right down the middle of the fairway, Birch River runs through parts of both holes, nice, beautiful, fun golf holes.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back