News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: 36 holer shoes - Classics too tough
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »
I'm a big fan of Callaway golf shoes, always found them quite comfy.

Additionally, while some people kinda abhor them, the tennis shoe style golf shoe is generally much comfortable over the long haul than the loafer style...I've found...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »
Have to echo the Ecco  :)

Bought a couple of pair last year at a Dicks closeout sale (wicked low price $60 pr) and they're just as comfy as a worn in pair of sneaks.

Got a pair of Contours for Xmas and they feel like ski boots compared to the Eccos.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
Another vote for Ecco.  I started wearing the golf shoes after several years of only wearing cross trainers to play golf because FJ's, Nike's, etc. just killed my feet.  After a couple of really bad bouts of plantar fasciitis, I tried the Ecco's and have never looked back.  For quality and comfort, they are unmatched.  I walk well over 100 rounds a year, and they are indestructible as well.

Short story long, Eccos are all I wear now for anything.  I think I have about 15 pairs total, from street to dress to golf to sandals to work boots.  They are just the best shoes made if you are going to be on your feet for extended periods of time.

A.G., which Ecco golf shoes do you prefer?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:44 AM »
A shoe that has surprised me this Spring is the Nike Bandon (no, I'm not a shill for the res nor the comp.)  It is a double shoe with a three quarter top, made for mucking about and it wears very well.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 06:55:06 AM »
Another vote for Ecco.  I started wearing the golf shoes after several years of only wearing cross trainers to play golf because FJ's, Nike's, etc. just killed my feet.  After a couple of really bad bouts of plantar fasciitis, I tried the Ecco's and have never looked back.  For quality and comfort, they are unmatched.  I walk well over 100 rounds a year, and they are indestructible as well.

Short story long, Eccos are all I wear now for anything.  I think I have about 15 pairs total, from street to dress to golf to sandals to work boots.  They are just the best shoes made if you are going to be on your feet for extended periods of time.

A.G., which Ecco golf shoes do you prefer?

Bill,
The best one for walking is a model called (I think) the Cool Casual Hydromax; I've had them for so long that I'm not 100% sure that I have that name right, and I'm sure they've changed models.  I've also got several pairs of standard saddles that I use for different things; one pair is goretex, a couple of others I try to keep nice and shined, etc., for places/events where I might want to look a little better than usual.  But they are all good for walking, really.

BTW, an earlier post mentioned Redanman.  He was actually the person that convinced me to give up the cross trainers and try Eccos.  He made the statement that I was mistaking a comfortable shoe for a good shoe, and he was dead on.

Also, it might be important to note that in my golf shoes, I use an orthotic insole.  I don't need one in the Ecco street shoes, but walking 5+ miles over uneven clay-based turf in north Georgia carrying a golf bag is going to be hard on the puppies no matter what you wear!  Ecco has just given me by far the best results.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 07:19:23 AM »
Ecco is the way to go!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 08:51:13 AM »
Another Ecco believer. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Ecco New City Classic or some such black plain-toe dress shoe that I bought in April or May of 2006. I got them to wear on my first trip to England and they worked great everywhere except the golf course on that trip. I've since worn them 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week for four years plus occasionally go walking in my neighborhood, etc. They have a few scuffs but are structurally as supportive and comfortable as the day I bought them. Well worth the $165 or whatever I paid.

I also have some ugly brown lug-sole Ecco casual shoes. They have a Gore-Tex lining and do seem to be waterproof (I wore them to play golf at Royal Birkdale and they kept my feet dry in a severe downpour for about four holes). They're nearly 3 years old and I wear them all weekend, take hikes in them, wear them on the beach, have played a dozen or so rounds of golf in them and they've been my shoes for two 10-day trips to England and Scotland. They look almost brand new (but still ugly).

I do have to replace my Ecco Hydromax golf shoes once a year. Even for Ecco shoes playing 80-90 morning rounds a year in soaking wet grass takes it toll. After about 150 rounds I had one pair even starting to separate a bit at a seam. So I just buy a pair every year and that way I always have new-feeling shoes. I really ought to drag another 30, 40, 50 rounds out of them until they're completely worn out but I indulge myself with a new pair every summer.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
The Adidas 360 Tour is the best golf shoe I've ever worn. I used to be a FJ only kind of guy, but the 360 is awesome.

I'll second this.  Always a FJ guy, but the 360 are way comfy.  I might consider changing shoes betwen rounds as well. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »
Last weekend at Ballyneal, I did the first 36 with Adidas 360's (2.0, I think).  They fared pretty well, but there was a noticeable improvement the next two days when I switched to the Ecco's for 54-36.

I'm looking forward to being able to buy some Trues in the near future.

http://www.facebook.com/truelinkswear

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 11:19:02 AM »
I'm a podiatrist and I've worn only Eccos since 2005.
They don't make my favorite non freddie shoes anymore. They are from 2005. I have always worn orthotics until the freddie shoes. I have 2 pair of them and I absolutely love them. No, I 've not walked more than 18 holes in them. But, I would always change shoes and socks at 18 if I were walking 36.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
I believe our American cousins have invented a device which negates the need for super-comfy golf shoes. I think it is called the 'Golf Cart'. Maybe you could try one of those...

'tough classics - easy moderns'?? ;D

FBD.

I am not sure Brett will have the best of luck with that option as he will be swinging by Bandon.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
Bruce,

I also only wear Ecco's now.  Both on and off the course. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Choi

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
Dang, perhaps this site should be sponsored by Ecco. I didn't realize they were so popular...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
If you have feet of a certain, fairly common shape and proportion...once you try Ecco shoes you realize nothing else quite measures up.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
Everyone I know who walks a large number of rounds either wear Ecco's or just plane running/street shoes.

On the days I play 36 I switch shoes and socks, that makes the first 9 of the second round feel much better.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
But you got to have those "Ecco feet", they basically do "one shape fits all", so for some people they just don't work.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »
I have two pairs of Ecco's I wear for work most days. They're comfy and they're lasting the pace well.

BUT not all Ecco's equal. I bought a pair for Golf and I think I convinced myself they would be ok.  There seems to be more than one  Ecco'fit' and I chose the wrong one for golf.  They annoy me further because they have a little rubber logo set into the heel that tugs at the hem of your trousers.

The moral of this story is to go with the fit above all else.
Let's make GCA grate again!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
Another Ecco believer. Right now I'm wearing a pair of Ecco New City Classic or some such black plain-toe dress shoe that I bought in April or May of 2006. I got them to wear on my first trip to England and they worked great everywhere except the golf course on that trip. I've since worn them 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week for four years plus occasionally go walking in my neighborhood, etc. They have a few scuffs but are structurally as supportive and comfortable as the day I bought them. Well worth the $165 or whatever I paid.

Brent,
Try either Seawalkers or the Cross walking shoes.  You can get by with either at work, and they are absolutely great walking shoes.  I can wear the Seawalkers for 10 hrs. and never wish I was rid of them; just great, great shoes.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 07:47:07 PM »
I certainly have a preference for golf shoes with spikes, and am weary of the 'streets' as they have a dimple type grip system, that I am not sure I'd be happy with. I have many pairs of Footjoys, mostly classics, and a couple of the new Icons.

I need to insert a sports orthotic into my shoe, and the new Icon has removable inner sole, so they work pretty good. And I mostly do 36'ers at Barnbougle which is a decent walk, - the next day is sometimes more of an issue.

I am not really interested in buying anymore 'serious golf shoes' as Jim and someone else mentioned the Adidas 360's and some of the Ecco's and they are so expensive here is Australia.
The Nike Air rates (Black ones) are possibly out of stock - at around US$90 online, does anyone have any  others in that range they have tried?
@theflatsticker

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »
Brett

I suggest you meet up with our own Mr Mollica who I'm led to believe is an "expert" in orthotics I'm told ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:06:03 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 08:01:34 PM »
thanks KP
I will, have been chatting to him about MPCC - so will do.
@theflatsticker

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »
Quote from: Jim Colton link=topic=44397.msg967556#msg967556 date=1274881169

http://www.facebook.com/truelinkswear
[/quote

Tell me more about these shoes?  When can I buy/try them?

JLahrman

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »
Are Footjoys really that far behind the comfort curve these days?  I've been wearing Dryjoys for a long time.  I have a size 14 US foot which are generally not stocked in stores, and I'm far too impatient to order things online, then return them if I don't like them.

I've heard good things about the comfort of Eccos but I really do not like the way they look.  I had never considered Adidas either, I am not a fan of the overly athletic/sneaker look.

I'm an admitted priss and picky about the way things look, but if the difference in comfort is that much I'm willing to consider conversion.

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
JL-

I agree that looks count, and it's a bit hit or miss, but Ecco has been coming out with some better looking stuff.  pretty good selection these days, but you usually have to order:

http://www.ecco.com/int/en/collection/men/golf/index.jsp?tab=index

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brent Hutto

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »
Do you dislike the looks of all these?

Surely there's something there for most tastes...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back