News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Mystery Photograph
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
The following photograph is not particularly significant I don't think - I do not know the location or any of the 3 people in the picture.  However, the gentleman on the right looks familiar and I am wondering if anyone can put a name to him.  The photo may have been taken in Victoria, Canada but perhaps not.  Not much to go on I know.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Adam Clayman

Re: Mystery Photograph
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:14:41 AM »
Dale, I'd guess C. B. Macdonald for the gentleman to the right
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
Michael Caine in one of his earlier films.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:28:26 AM »
Dale
Do you have any other clues? Where did you find the photo? Is it dated?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »

That's my MOM in the middle.

Anthony

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
On the right is Wilford Brimley, before the invention of the deep fryer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
Colonel Mustard in the garden with the mashie niblick.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
I am happy to see my post could generate a little humour!

I really know nothing about the photograph.  It was given to me by a local archive here in Victoria because they did not know anything about it, and knew I was working on Royal Colwood's 100 year history.

I see nothing in it to connect it to Colwood, and just think I have seen pictures of the familiar looking gent on the right.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Sean_Tully

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
Dale-

I would show that to Mike Riste if you haven't already. The man on the left has a very similar build to Macan and I know that his wife played as well, just can't make out enough of his face. No ideas of thoughts on the guy to the right.

Tully

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
Dale, I'd guess C. B. Macdonald for the gentleman to the right

If not MacDonald, it must be his doppleganger...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
Colonel Mustard in the garden with the mashie niblick.

and THAT'S by far the BEST LOL I've had at GCA this year!

Certainly looks very like CBM. Does anyone else just get a feeling that the pic may be reversed L/R?? I can't say why - there's just something...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »
Actually, I take that back. The Gents jackets are buttoned on the right side, aren't they...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »
Is this better FBD?

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 02:35:41 PM »
Jackets button on the right in Canada?

I'm trying to figure out if that's the face of the lady's club we can see....

Dale Jackson

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
Dale-

I would show that to Mike Riste if you haven't already. The man on the left has a very similar build to Macan and I know that his wife played as well, just can't make out enough of his face. No ideas of thoughts on the guy to the right.

Tully

I have sent it to Mike, still waiting for a reply.  I am doubtful it is Macan and his wife.  There is one picture of the two of them with a group of people and the two in this picture do not match. 

I agree it certainly looks like CBM, more research to be done.

JESII

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
Assuming it is CBM, what the hell's he doing back there in the bushes?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
If it is MacDonald, who would he be with? Perhaps his daughter and son-in-law H J Whigham.

The are undoubtedly pictured as they are about to build Merion. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »
Dale - I think it is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

Crazy, you say? Ah, crazy like a fox!

Peter

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
Why crazy like a fox, you ask? Well:

In 1897, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle -- who was an avid golfer and member of the Crowborough Beacon Golf Club, in Sussex I believe -- came to Canada at the invitation of the government to visit the newly established national park, Jasper. Among his acitivites while here, it is said that Sir Arthur laid out a 9 hole golf course near the proposed railway hotel at Pyramid Lake. 

Peter

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Peter,

Sir Arthur didn't do that in 1897; itv was 1914 and either the American Golfer ot Golf Illustrated contained a story about it including photographs of holes already finished! He left before it was completed to fight in WW I.

I'll look it up and post it for you later...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:17:42 PM by Philip Young »

Gene Greco

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
      Aside from the moustache and somewhat of a resemblance to CB I don't think it is him.

I don't believe he was the type who would have his portrait taken in front of a dead bush.

Just yesterday I stood next to the statue of him in the clubhouse of NGLA and have as fresh a perpective as one might have.

Also, as an aside, we saw up close a piece of US golf history - CB's gold medal awarded to him at Newport CC for winning the 1895 US Amateur.  :o

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Dale Jackson

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 03:16:47 PM »
Why crazy like a fox, you ask? Well:

In 1897, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle -- who was an avid golfer and member of the Crowborough Beacon Golf Club, in Sussex I believe -- came to Canada at the invitation of the government to visit the newly established national park, Jasper. Among his acitivites while here, it is said that Sir Arthur laid out a 9 hole golf course near the proposed railway hotel at Pyramid Lake.  

Peter

Peter, I believe the story about Jasper is correct, I have read it elsewhere, perhaps the Stanley Thompson biography.

As for the picture, I looked a few ACD photos on-line and I don't think it is him.

And I have look at several of CBM and there is certainly a strong resemblance.  I hope someone has a definitive answer.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Peter,

Here is the story. It is from Golf Illustrated November 1914 p.32-34:

Looking at Sir Arthur in the phot in GI I believe that he is in your photograph...

I would also guess that the others would be Lt. Colonel Maynard Rogers and his wife, which would mean, ironically enough, that the guess of Colonel Mustard wasn't that far off the mark...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:27:59 PM by Philip Young »

Dale Jackson

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »
Well I have a very little bit of additional information.  The photograph was in the family collection of the Dunsmuir family.  For those who are not familiar with them, and that would be at least 1490 of the 1500, James Dunsmuir was the wealthiest man in BC at the turn of the 20th century, perhaps on all the West Coast.  He was Premier of the Province and Lieutenant Governor, and one of the two founders of Royal Colwood.  There is some link to the family and the people in the picture.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
Having just seen a pic of CB the moustache is why I guessed him. As for him being in the bushes maybe he was designing in the dirt?  Stanley Thompson would be the next guess. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back