News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Inwood in 1923
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
I was on the 12th hole when play was halted on 9/11/01.  I had a 500mm lens and took some pictures of the burning towers from the 2nd tee before they tragically collapsed.  This past year was a perfect weather repeat of 9/11.  Like Jeff, I have great playing memories at Inwood and once won the Jack Mallon pro-scratch(LI championship) on my own ball 67, post Doak restoration.

B.Ross

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
For what it's worth to you all on this thread, I've been a JR member (w/ my family) at ICC since 2004 and have played the golf course at least 350 times. anything you want to know about the course, its history or membership, feel free to ask me.  just to note a few things:

- back in the day, it wasn't 3 5s in a row. the 4th hole was #1 (its right next to clubhouse), and i believe the current 13-15 were not there and there were holes across the street from where 12 is now. can always check w/ my pops to be sure.

- 15 used to be a bad par 5... now it's 1 of the hardest par 4's you can play anywhere its 463 and usually right into the wind. from the back tees there are no more than a dozen of us at the club who can get home in 2 on a still or into the breeze day (myself included)
- 12 was a par 5 for a long time too, a short one, but i think it played better than 15 did as a 5.

- in fact the front of 18 green has been restored to the 20s look, it now extends all the way back to the water.
- conditions have improved alot the past 3-4 years as a result of a new young ambitious greenskeeper. he's fantastic at what he does.

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
For what it's worth to you all on this thread, I've been a JR member (w/ my family) at ICC since 2004 and have played the golf course at least 350 times. anything you want to know about the course, its history or membership, feel free to ask me.  just to note a few things:

- back in the day, it wasn't 3 5s in a row. the 4th hole was #1 (its right next to clubhouse), and i believe the current 13-15 were not there and there were holes across the street from where 12 is now. can always check w/ my pops to be sure.

- 15 used to be a bad par 5... now it's 1 of the hardest par 4's you can play anywhere its 463 and usually right into the wind. from the back tees there are no more than a dozen of us at the club who can get home in 2 on a still or into the breeze day (myself included)
- 12 was a par 5 for a long time too, a short one, but i think it played better than 15 did as a 5.

- in fact the front of 18 green has been restored to the 20s look, it now extends all the way back to the water.
- conditions have improved alot the past 3-4 years as a result of a new young ambitious greenskeeper. he's fantastic at what he does.

BRoss,
Welcome.
Why was 15 a bad par 5?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »

Joe Bausch posted this a while back on the compilations thread by Ed Oden.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
Here's a photo tour I did of Inwood last fall:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53953.0.html

Here is a direct link to my photo album of Inwood:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Inwood/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
So that would be the 2nd hole in the c1951 version. Doesn't seem to match the description of the 2nd in the 1923 article, though. 5 still seems the best candidate.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

B.Ross

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
@ whoever asked me about why 15 was a bad 5 par:

well its only 463 so downwind its a 5 par that is easily hittable in two, on the days it played downwind. but as a 5 it was not the naked dogleg right it is now. they had all these trees down the right side to block you from cutting the corner and then these odd mounds in front of the green to stop you from running the ball up. i only played the course a few times as a real youngster w/ this set up but basically you had trees as a defense mechanism (that blocked the gorgeous view and playability of the marshland which goes down teh right side and is also OB) and then these mounds to force someone to carry the ball onto the green.

all in all it's a true 4.5 hole. i should mention that while i've eagled all 3 par 5's (3,4 & 5) in my time at ICC, i never recall making a birdie from the back tees on 15 and have probably made 6 there more often than ive made 4.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:22 AM »
Ed Erickson's own words on the original lay-out at Inwood.

The complete article, written at the 50th anniversary of the club.

http://tinyurl.com/k3sqdv3
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back