News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Bill:

Jim Urbina, Mike Keiser, George Bahto and I all went to see the REAL Leven hole from which Macdonald got his idea -- it's the 16th hole at Lundin Links in Scotland.

On that hole, there is a big dune to the left and short of the green, and the green falls away hard from front left to back right, so you are rewarded by driving down the right side.  On the original hole, there is a burn crossing diagonally from left to right to make getting the right angle harder -- it's only 125-150 yards off the tee, but remember, Macdonald became familiar with the hole in the 1870's, when that was a real carry.  You only actually wind up with a blind second shot [not seeing the flag] if you yank your tee shot out of the fairway left.

We've got the tilted green and the big hill [which was already a part of the site], and we needed to build a short par-4 in that position.  Instead of building a burn to nowhere, I put that little bunker in the right-center of the fairway to guard the preferred angle -- although not many people figure out that it is usually the preferred angle.  Anyway, that's close enough to a Leven for me.  After all, how many other guys can even claim to have seen the original!

P.S.  Mr. Bahto had never seen the Leven hole in Scotland until well after his book was published.

P.P.S.  While walking back from the clubhouse to find the Leven hole, I noticed that the tee shot for the 17th hole at Lundin Links was a sort of hog's back tee shot, similar to the 5th or especially the 16th at National Golf Links.  So, we vaguely used that model for the tee shot on the 4th at Old Mac.

Bill_McBride

Leven hole from The Evangelist...

"Fairway bunker or waste area challenges golfer to make a heroic carry for an open approach to the green. Less courageous line from the tee leaves golfer with a semiblind approach over a high bunker or sand hill to the short side of the green."

From my experience of being the less courageous golfer, that is a pretty apt description.

Of the Leven hole at NGLA yes, but little to do with the 13th at Old Mac.

Or did I miss something?

My drive up the right side left me with a semiblind approach over a high bunker or sand hill to the short side of the green. Would you not agree that the right side of the green is the short side? Would you not agree that there is a high bunker fronting that? Leaving a semiblind approach? Perhaps your drive was much shorter leaving you on higher ground, thereby eliminating the semiblindness that I experienced.

Also there is a bunker left that would require a heroic carry, as the description indicates there should be.

Sorry, but I don't see how you could drive so far right as to bring that dune into play.  Or maybe you could, but you'd be in rough up to your ankles.

I don't think there's any of the tee shot demands of #17 NGLA.   I drove down the right side toward that bunker and had a very good line in to play off the mound to get to a right pin, but that mound/dune off to the right had nothing to do with the shot at all.

Bill_McBride

Bill:

Jim Urbina, Mike Keiser, George Bahto and I all went to see the REAL Leven hole from which Macdonald got his idea -- it's the 16th hole at Lundin Links in Scotland.

On that hole, there is a big dune to the left and short of the green, and the green falls away hard from front left to back right, so you are rewarded by driving down the right side.  On the original hole, there is a burn crossing diagonally from left to right to make getting the right angle harder -- it's only 125-150 yards off the tee, but remember, Macdonald became familiar with the hole in the 1870's, when that was a real carry.  You only actually wind up with a blind second shot [not seeing the flag] if you yank your tee shot out of the fairway left.

We've got the tilted green and the big hill [which was already a part of the site], and we needed to build a short par-4 in that position.  Instead of building a burn to nowhere, I put that little bunker in the right-center of the fairway to guard the preferred angle -- although not many people figure out that it is usually the preferred angle.  Anyway, that's close enough to a Leven for me.  After all, how many other guys can even claim to have seen the original!

P.S.  Mr. Bahto had never seen the Leven hole in Scotland until well after his book was published.

P.P.S.  While walking back from the clubhouse to find the Leven hole, I noticed that the tee shot for the 17th hole at Lundin Links was a sort of hog's back tee shot, similar to the 5th or especially the 16th at National Golf Links.  So, we vaguely used that model for the tee shot on the 4th at Old Mac.

I've played both the holes.  Your hole is much more like the Lundin Links hole, although the green is certainly a lot wilder as well as a lot more blind from the fairway.   It's really an exciting little par 4.

Garland Bayley

Bill,

I drove into the hollow on the right just short of the green side bunkers. From that far below the green, it was nearly blind as I remember.

But, with Tom's explanation of the hole, it seems The Evangelist ... didn't depict the hole accurately, and RD built it "good enough" to meet some of the criteria, make this discussion moot.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

Bill, this is a driveable hole if the wind is behind you for a big hitter. I hit a couple to the bunker on the right...

Bill_McBride

Bill,

I drove into the hollow on the right just short of the green side bunkers. From that far below the green, it was nearly blind as I remember.

But, with Tom's explanation of the hole, it seems The Evangelist ... didn't depict the hole accurately, and RD built it "good enough" to meet some of the criteria, make this discussion moot.

Who is RD?

Tim Bert

Bill - I assumed he meant Renaissance Design but I'm not sure.

Bryan Izatt

P.S.  Mr. Bahto had never seen the Leven hole in Scotland until well after his book was published.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  How many other guys can claim to have seen the original?  Well, a fair number on here.  The Buda Cup was there three years ago and we played it multiple times.  How disappointing that you fudged the hole a bit because you thought nobody had seen the original.   ;) ;D

For me the 13th was maybe the most fun hole on the course.  The drive was manageable with the winter wind, leaving a relatively short second where you could concentrate not so much on just hitting the green but really trying to read the green contours and pin positions and work the ball in to the pin.  And putting the green was marvelous fun.  I'd say this hole is significantly better than the original Leven at Lundin Links.  It is a good bit more dramatic in scale and in the movement of the land and the green.

It's interesting, based on Bill's pictures of NGLA, how stylized Macdonald's interpretation of the Leven hole is (at least in the picture).  It's also a mirror image of the original with what looks like a sharper dogleg.  On the original you can try to bounce the ball over the hill to the green (although it is more of a mound/small dune than a hill) whereas NGLA has what looks like a sandy topped hill with tufts  of hair growing out of it.

I'm surprised that you think not many people figure out that right of centre is the preferred angle.  One trip up the left side and trying to get to a left pin coming over the ridge of the hill on the left should make it pretty obvious to anyone.  Maybe people think that there must be some advantage to be had by driving the ball over the left fairway bunker.

Below is an aerial of the Leven hole at Lundin Links.  Their mound is left and short of the green.  Yours is left and tied into the green.  Yours is significantly higher and steeper.  Your hill is more in play and challenging I think.

Bill_McBride

Good shot, Bryan!

I agree that #16 at Lundin is a much easier hole.  It's one of those holes where you are disappointed if you don't have a birdie putt within 10 feet.

There's really no dogleg component at #13 Old Mac so the Leven strategy is a bit lost.  It's just as easy to aim toward the right side of the fairway as the left.

All that beard pulling aside, it's a really terrific short par 4 and my favorite hole on the course.

Bryan Izatt

I agree Bill.

It is, however, an example to me of the reason I was slightly disappointed my first couple of times around OM.  I kept looking for the template principles, and too often not seeing them clear enough for my satisfaction.  So much of the hype about OM was about the homage to Macdonald.  When I got past that aspect of my expectations, I looked at the course on its own merits, and found that it is a terrific course.  So, maybe at OM, Macdonald gets too much attribution, unlike that other course near Phillie.  ;D

DMoriarty

I agree Bill.

It is, however, an example to me of the reason I was slightly disappointed my first couple of times around OM.  I kept looking for the template principles, and too often not seeing them clear enough for my satisfaction.  So much of the hype about OM was about the homage to Macdonald.  When I got past that aspect of my expectations, I looked at the course on its own merits, and found that it is a terrific course.  So, maybe at OM, Macdonald gets too much attribution, unlike that other course near Phillie.  ;D

My reaction was the exact opposite.  My concern was that the project was going to be more about aesthetic style than substance, whereas I think Macdonald greatest contribution to the game was much more about substance than style.  I was glad to see that they nailed most of the the underlying principles without being a slave to Raynor's aesthetic stylings.  This particular hole, the 13th, was one of my favorite holes as well, but because it seemed to capture the concepts so well without being a slave to a certain style.  It seems like the hole CBM would have built had he had the same terrain with which to work.

[Bryan, I am pretty sure there was a Leven at that other unmentionable place, but I don't think they ever quite caught on to the concept and it didn't last long.  I'll leave it at that and explain elsewhere (definitely not here) some other time.]
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bryan Izatt

David,

Some other time and place would be a blessing.  The unmentionable shouldn't infect every thread.

As to the Leven hole and it's principles and concepts, I think that the link between OM #13 and the Lundin Links original is a bit stretched.  Maybe you could describe how it "capture(d) the concepts of the original Leven hole and what those concepts are.  I guess we all have our own interpretations about what the concepts and principles of template holes are and which and how many are required at a minimum to warrant calling a hole a template of the original.  (What a mangling of the English language.  The original should be the template on which the reproductions are based.)

The OM Leven is more dramatic and more fun than the original in my opinion.

DMoriarty

Some other time and place would be a blessing.  The unmentionable shouldn't infect every thread.
Which is why I said some other time and place.

As to the Leven hole and it's principles and concepts, I think that the link between OM #13 and the Lundin Links original is a bit stretched.  Maybe you could describe how it "capture(d) the concepts of the original Leven hole and what those concepts are.  I guess we all have our own interpretations about what the concepts and principles of template holes are and which and how many are required at a minimum to warrant calling a hole a template of the original.  (What a mangling of the English language.  The original should be the template on which the reproductions are based.)

I haven't played the hole at Lundin Links so you may well be correct with reference to that hole. I can only go by descriptions.

As for the hole at OM, I thought the strategy of the hole was dictated by the big dune on the left, and the slope of the green off of that dune thus creating a difficult approach for the left side and an easier approach from the far right side. While not a replica of anything, this hole seems to captures the strategic "problem" CBM highlighted with his 17th at NGLA, and by Tom's description of the original, it seems to capture the strategic problem presented by that hole as well.  At NGLA an easier drive straight at the green leaves a more difficult shot over (or partially over) mounding, with the green running somewhat away from and/or harder to hold from that angle.   Whereas a drive away from the mounding may be more difficult, it will leave an easier approach where the golfer can try to use the same slope to control the approach.  

But my approach is much different than yours in that I am not looking for "templates" at all, because for the most part CBM was not either.

There are a relatively small group of holes at NGLA which bear a distinct physical similarity to an actual single hole abroad, but the rest of the holes are more loosely based on not only an amalgamation of principles and concepts from abroad, but also on CBM's own ideas, and of course on how those concepts and ideas fit into the landscape with which he had to work.  Here is how CBM himself described the process early on, To better understand how this process worked, here is what CBM had to say early on in the project early on, June 1906, after he had returned from abroad but before he had Whigham secured the site on Peconic Bay:

In the thousands of holes I have played and studied abroad with the one idea in view, the principles that make a good hole have cropped up again and again.  I found myself classifying the holes on their basic priniples, forming them into groups in which the desirable features were due to the reproduction of the same characteristics.  On our new course this princiuples will be introduced to gife attactiveness to each hole, and, according to the nature of the land finally selected, some three or four holes may be exactly resembled.  In this country the monotonous corss bunkers for the first or second shots bring up one principle again and again; abroad there are is an infinite variety of hazards from which one may collect ideas.
   The best holes have not been found on the five British championship links alone.  There was not a hole at Muirfiled or Hoylake I would care to imitate, but on sever the principles were good and furnished suggestions.  Prestwick and St. Andrews abound in lovely holes, whole Sandwich was prolific in ideas.  I have formulated plans for more than eighteen holes, the last choice to be dependent upon the ground selected, and the inspiration for the plans has been supplied in instances by links not in the championship group.  The idea for one hole comes from Biarritz.  The hole in question is not a good one, but it revealed a fine and original principle that will be incorporated into my selection.

Indeed this looks to have been what CBM eventually did at NGLA.  He created reasonable approximations of relatively few holes, and the rest are more based on concepts and ideas, as they fit the land.  If at NGLA CBM was for the most part not copying holes abroad, then why would you expect Doak and friends to copy holes either from NGLA or abroad?

The trouble is, many if not most of us think of NGLA as being made up mostly of holes the where CBM tried to replicate a specific hole abroad.  But in reality there were only four or maybe five of these holes, depending on who is counting --the Alps, the Redan, the Eden, the Road, and perhaps the Sahara.  They are all named after a hole abroad, and CBM described these as "almost unanimously considered the finest of their character in Great Britain."  And at least four of these could be called replica or "duplicate" holes, even though with all of them feature significant differences from the original, differences some of which CBM liked to consider "improvements."   As H.J. Whigham explained, "He did not, it is true, reproduce 18 classic golf holes. The holes [CBM] copied in detail were the Redan at North Berwick, the Alps at Prestwick, and the Eden and Road Holes at St. Andrews."

[Note that Whigham did not include the Sahara as a duplicate, and I am not sure CBM did either.   Here CBM seems to have been borrowing the general concept of a diagonal carry providing an advantage to the player who successfully cut off more of the carry, along with the cool bunker.  CBM described this hole as follows: "In one sense it is not a replica, but it is a mental picture of that fine hole, embodying the underlying principle --a golfers reward is granted to him who can negotiate the carry he is capable of accomplishing."  Whether one considers it a true replica or not, I don't think CBM built many "Sahara" holes.  However the underlying principle - the diagonal carry - appears throughout his work and is one of his core concepts.]

But that is it.  Four, maybe five duplicates or replicas, and even these are far from exact.  So, while we like to try and compare many of the rest of the holes to a particular hole abroad, according to Macdonald and Whigham, they were not attempting replicas or even close approximations of any particular holes. As CBM put it in Scotland's gift, "All the other holes are more or less, composite, but some are absolutely original."    As Whigham explained it, "But it very soon became apparent to CBM to Macdonald . . . that nature, here too, had her own suggestions and that it was far better, and certainly much more amusing to utilize existing features of the land than to copy slavishly from the great masterpieces.  Indeed, what Macdonald actually accomplished was finer than he had originally planned."

The reason I go through all of this is that I think that Doak was true to true at OM to CBM's methodology at NGLA, in that he concentrated on sound principles underlying great golf holes rather than slavishly trying to reproduce exact features of either holes at NGLA or even abroad.  That is in large part what CBM was doing at NGLA.  (Even his supposed replicas fit naturally at NGLA.)

So perhaps that is the reason why I see this is a terrific CBM=type hole -- it uses the natural features of the land to bring out an interesting strategic problem, similar in principle to the problem created at the original (by the various descriptions) and CBM's 17th at NGLA.

Here is the diagram of the "Leven Hole" from HJ Whigham's article in 1909:  

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:18:05 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Bill_McBride

David, I don't want to speak for Bryan, but I suggest he meant that some holes fit the template more recognizably than others.

There is no challenge to driving down the right side of the wide fairway on the 13th hole at Old Macdonald, no long carry as in the Leven at NGLA or the burn at Lundin.   All that's required - as I think Tom Doak himself said - is that you have to recognize that's the best line and then drive off to that side.

That's why Bryan and I have suggested that the concept is stretched pretty far in this case.

Other CBM templates that you can identify as such because they almost always found on CBM/R/B courses are the Short, the Long, the Biarritz, the Double Plateau.  I think Doak et al did a great job finding the right features for each of those as well as the others you mention above.

DMoriarty

Bill, 

I see what you are saying, but again I think perhaps we have different expectations as "templates" go.  Granted there is no angled berm or diagonal bunker all across the front of the hole, but with the bunker guarding the best position from the right I think the basics of the strategy as defined by the hill and the sloping green are still largely there. 

Also, I may be misremembering, but I don't recall the drive down the right side as being a cakewalk.  Short of the bunker isn't there also some low, rough ground sort of running away from the hole?

As for those other features and holes you mention I agree they are found at most MacRaynor courses.  My point was that when these holes first showed up at NGLA (or in the case of the Biarritz when they first showed up elsewhere) they weren't really specific copies of any particular hole abroad.

Bill_McBride

Bill, 

I see what you are saying, but again I think perhaps we have different expectations as "templates" go.  Granted there is no angled berm or diagonal bunker all across the front of the hole, but with the bunker guarding the best position from the right I think the basics of the strategy as defined by the hill and the sloping green are still largely there. 

Also, I may be misremembering, but I don't recall the drive down the right side as being a cakewalk.  Short of the bunker isn't there also some low, rough ground sort of running away from the hole?

As for those other features and holes you mention I agree they are found at most MacRaynor courses.  My point was that when these holes first showed up at NGLA (or in the case of the Biarritz when they first showed up elsewhere) they weren't really specific copies of any particular hole abroad.

You've missed the point of the Leven.  The idea is to drive the ball into an area, challenging trouble off the tee, where you DON'T have to challenge a berm or bunkers, etc.   There is no such challenge off the tee at OM, you just have to be in the right half of the fairway.

I would say the Alps, Redan, Short and Road holes at NGLA very closely resemble the actual models in the UK.

DMoriarty

I'm sorry Bill I garbled my post.  It should have said no diagonal carry off the tee.  I had it right to Bryan above.

Bryan Izatt

David,

thanks for the Macdonald background.  I get what he was trying to do with templates vs copies.  Whigham's sketch and the hole on the ground at NGLA suggests that the concept is to challenge the longer carry to get a better angle and view to the green.  And that the view of the green is obscured by the mound if the easier drive is taken.  I think we all agree that there is no angled hazard to be carried at OM.  In that sense it is a stretch in my opinion as a Leven.

I'm also not sure that I see the strong connection between Macdonald's conceptual (or actually implemented) view and the original.  The angled carry is there although Whigham chose to mirror image the original.  The alternate strategic driving options appears not to be a concept inspired by the original to the degree shown in Whigham's sketch.  The original is not all that wide.  There really isn't a significant option of driving left to shorten the carry, but having an obscured view of the green.  At least, not if you want to be in the fairway.

The hill at OM is significantly larger than at Lundin Links and is tied in (nicely) to the green.  The hill at Lundin Links is also short of the green and not tied into the green in any way near the same way as at OM.

So, I think that connecting the Leven template concepts to the 13th at OM is a bit of a stretch.  But, that doesn't detract from a fine golf hole that TD and team created.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:52:39 PM by Bryan Izatt »

DMoriarty

I guess it depends upon what one chooses to focus, but I see the key "connection" or concept as being the convex mound/dune/hill and the slope of the green away from the direct line of play, thus making the approach more difficult from the direct line as opposed to the dogleg. 

As for the options on the drive, I think it is a bit much to look at modern fairway widths at the original and assume they were the same around 1900.

Bryan Izatt

OK, I get your one key concept.  I guess I was looking for more in the way of concepts than one.  And, one that was closer to the original.  To each his own.

As to the width of fairways in Scotland a century ago, I'll leave that to the more learned of our UK compatriots.  I would be surprised if the fairways were wider back then at the Leven hole (those Scots are parsimonious people who probably wouldn't want to maintain more fairway than necessary), but I could be wrong.

Garland Bayley

OK, I get your one key concept.  I guess I was looking for more in the way of concepts than one.  And, one that was closer to the original.  To each his own.

As to the width of fairways in Scotland a century ago, I'll leave that to the more learned of our UK compatriots.  I would be surprised if the fairways were wider back then at the Leven hole (those Scots are parsimonious people who probably wouldn't want to maintain more fairway than necessary), but I could be wrong.

Well now Bryan, part of Old Tom's legacy is the clearing of TOC of gorse to create the wide playing corridors. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

I guess it depends upon what one chooses to focus, but I see the key "connection" or concept as being the convex mound/dune/hill and the slope of the green away from the direct line of play, thus making the approach more difficult from the direct line as opposed to the dogleg.  

I don't get that; neither NGLA nor Lundin Links has a green that either slopes away or a hill that is tied into the green.  

You're really stretching here, but keep going, you're on a roll!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:33:13 PM by Bill_McBride »

Michael Hayes

Just wanted to interrupt and let the treehouse know that our own Pacduneslooper is reporting that there is a front pin on 8 today...1st TIME!!!
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Steve Kline

I played Old Mac on Tuesday and played to a front pin on the Biarritz. Wind was howling left to right and slightly into and the pin was left center on the front plateau. From the back tees I hit a 7 iron to about 8 feet and proceeded to miss the putt. Because i drew the ball into the wind the ball only rolled out about 10 feet or so. Our caddies said that was a least the second time in the last week the pin had been on the front plateau. Perhaps the rear portion of the green is being saved for the US Publinx in a couple of weeks.

Our caddies also said that the pin will never be put on the right rear plateau of number one from what they have heard. I do not know if there is any truth to that.

DMoriarty

I don't get that; neither NGLA nor Lundin Links has a green that either slopes away or a hill that is tied into the green.  

You're really stretching here, but keep going, you're on a roll!

Bill,

As I said, I haven't played the hole at Lundin Links, so as I said above am relying on the descriptions of others. For example, here is what Tom Doak wrote above about the hole in question:

On that hole, there is a big dune to the left and short of the green, and the green falls away hard from front left to back right, so you are rewarded by driving down the right side.  On the original hole, there is a burn crossing diagonally from left to right to make getting the right angle harder -- it's only 125-150 yards off the tee, but remember, Macdonald became familiar with the hole in the 1870's, when that was a real carry.  You only actually wind up with a blind second shot [not seeing the flag] if you yank your tee shot out of the fairway left.

We've got the tilted green and the big hill [which was already a part of the site], and we needed to build a short par-4 in that position.  Instead of building a burn to nowhere, I put that little bunker in the right-center of the fairway to guard the preferred angle -- although not many people figure out that it is usually the preferred angle.  Anyway, that's close enough to a Leven for me.  After all, how many other guys can even claim to have seen the original!

As for NGLA, I've only been there a few times and didn't have a level with me either time, but my recollection was that the green was much easier to manage from the left side of the fairway than the right. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back