News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Webb

Lido Design Competition 2010
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
Did anyone participate this year?

If so have you heard anything back?

Thanks.

Brian Ross

Re: Lido Design Competition 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
I participated but haven't heard a word about it.  I know the winner was supposed to be announced by May 1, so who knows!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:00:56 AM »
Yeah same here.  Last year they sent an email to all of the participants and in that email announced the winner.

Matt Langan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
Is the Lido competition mostly just for archies, or do archie-admirers also submit their works? I may want to do this next year. It looks like fun...

Michael Taylor

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:23:51 AM »
Someone have a link to the competition?

Thanks,

Pup

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »
Someone have a link to the competition?

Thanks,

Pup

Pup,

Here you go,

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2010-02/golf-courses-lido-competition

Link to competition rules on the right hand side just under the picture.

Dónal.

Brian Ross

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »
Is the Lido competition mostly just for archies, or do archie-admirers also submit their works? I may want to do this next year. It looks like fun...

Matt,

One of the requirements for entry is that you cannot be the architect on record for any course built or under construction as of the entry date, so it is actually an amateur-only competition.  This was my first year entering the contest and I really enjoyed it and plan on participating again next year (and beyond)!  Start looking for it around the beginning of February. 
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Michael Taylor

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
Thank you Donal.  :)

EDIT: Link isn't working. :(

Pup

Matt Langan

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
Thank you!

Matt Langan

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »
Why doesn't GCA do a similar contest? Members or non-members who ARE NOT archies could submit designs and post them on a thread and someone could collect the results via email or create an online survey. I'm not sure what the prize might be (heck, it could just be for pride). I think this would be a great way to share our personal design preferences, and to critique/explain each others' ideas.

What do you think?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
Why doesn't GCA do a similar contest? Members or non-members who ARE NOT archies could submit designs and post them on a thread and someone could collect the results via email or create an online survey. I'm not sure what the prize might be (heck, it could just be for pride). I think this would be a great way to share our personal design preferences, and to critique/explain each others' ideas.

What do you think?

Matt, there currently is a contest being judged. It seems the judges are overdue just like in the Lido contest. The organizer, Charlie Goerges, says he has results from 3 of the 4 judges and will let us know as soon as he gets the final.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt Langan

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »
Garland,

Is there any way we can see the submissions? If there is a thread, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Thanks.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
Matt,

I bumped the thread to the top for you. You cannot see the designs as they were submitted privately so they could be judged without the designers being known. Hopefully, real soon now you will get to see the designs, and much discussion of them.

It's the AAC 2 thread Armchair Architect Contest 2nd annual.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Martz

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »
I submitted an entry, but have not heard a thing.
"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I won't break the official news, but I saw the winning entry the other day ... it's by one of our former interns.  I don't know when they will make the results public, but I won't scoop them.  Sorry to all the runners-up.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
I rec'd a letter annoucning the winner.

I will also hold onto sharing the winner's name and allow the MacKenzie Society to announce with the Media.

I enjoyed the experience and I plan to enter next year.  I have attached my submittal.  Below is the explanation info and dwg.

Gibraltar’s Fork
2010 MacKenzie Society Lido Design Competition
Fictitious Location: Reclaimed Sand & Quarry Site
#16    Par 4   372 yards
Design Philosophy:
The fictitious site is a reclaimed sand and quarry mining property.  The design attempts to follow Dr. Mackenzie’s design principles that are outlined in his books, The Spirit of St. Andrews and Golf Architecture.   The #16 golf hole ultimately fits within an overall course design that contains two nines that loop back to a small clubhouse.  Since this is strictly a club for golf, the membership and design encourages walking with a caddy program, plus there are no cart paths on the property.  All the tees and greens are positioned into the landscape to limit the distance of walking between holes.  The Gibraltar’s Fork golf hole is #16 in the round and the design fits perfectly into a close match play situation, offering a player multiple routes with an ultimate risk and reward option.
Gibraltar’s Fork has been designed so that the golf hole blends into the native landscape.  The natural mining operation left a rather deep sand pit that guards the front left fairway.  The sand pit required minor shaping in order to create an ominous hazard that requires a well struck tee shot to carry to the fairway.  Both fairways have significant undulations to add variety to the approach shot lies and increase the creativity of required shots.    The natural ravine that was found between the two fairways was filled with sand mounds and planted with native grasses.  A directional bunker was added to aid the player if they attempt to drive the green from the elevated tees when the prevailing winds blow from the west.
The undulating green complex incorporates Dr. MacKenzie’s design principles by having the grass bunkers on the right and left of the green as well as the approaches mowed and maintained at the same height as the green.  Note that the fairways and approaches were heavily capped with the on-site sand.   The maintenance schedule caters to the fast and firm conditions often found on the true links land of the British Isles.  This allows for a variety of approach and recovery shots to be played with various club types around the green complex.   Note that the overall green size is deceptively large since the same mowing heights are being used at the approaches, grass bunkers, and collars.  Plus the larger “feeling” green presents a sense of possibility to the challenger!
Design Strategy:
I.   372 yards.  This elevated tee shot takes to heart Dr. MacKenzie’s design philosophy of directing the intelligent player off the tee and to reward the successful challenger.  If the player decides to carry the reclaimed sand quarry pit hazard they are rewarded with an approach shot to a deep green that affords “bump & run” shots.  The green elevations tilt from back to front acting as a “back stop” for various types of shots.  The right greenside sand bunker should not factor into play from this fairway.  (Pro tee carry 240-245 yards; Member tee carry 195-200 yards.)

II.   366 yards.  This elevated tee shot to a slightly downhill fairway presents no real carry hazards off the tee.  The approach shot from this fairway is difficult since the green angle and elevations are less receptive.  The approach shot requires an elevated approach shot to a green that “runs away” from the approach shot angle.  This fairway option provides the player an easier route to the fairway but in the end challenges their skill level on the approach shot.  (Pro tee carry to fairway encroaching grass mounds 270 yards; Member tee carry to fairway encroaching grass mounds 225yards.)

362 yards.  This elevated tee shot is the “Gamblers Choice”.  The tees are elevated 25’ above the green complex and the hole is positioned with the prevailing winds from the west aiding a well struck tee shot.  During a close match play situation the pro tee player can use the sand bunker located between the two fairways for a line of attack to the green.  If the wind is blowing in their favor the player is sure to receive a forward kick onto the green since the approach and fairways are conditioned to play fast and firm.  The member tee can also be used during tournament play to increase the risk and reward excitement of the hole.  (Pro tee carry to bounding slope approx. 310 yards downhill; Member tee carry to bounding slope approx. 270 yards.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back