News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Ince

Re: If you had to go with one set of blades you would choose.....?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
Wow some great feedback here thanks everyone. Pretty much where I wanted to head first was Mizuno and go to one of their fitting locations. The MP60 is an alternative I am considering to the blade, but I guess I will see how it feels after trying a few out. Just need to find the closest fitting location in Florida or Texas and find the time to get it done!  But getting the lie, loft and shaft customized is something I definitely wanted to do rather than adapting my swing to off the rack standard still shafts....something I have always done.

Playing Cozumel Country Club tomorrow. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
'til the Road Hole....

Mark Smolens

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
Wow, talk about a thread over and above one's ability level. . . I generallly lean toward the Atra blades. . .  :P

Jed Peters

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »
I play Scratch....

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
I've always thought that the Titleist 690MB were the best looking irons I've ever seen. Very similar look to the first generation of Nike blades that Tiger used.

Michael Moore

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
Dan -

You took the post right out of my fingers.

The only reason to play blades is because they look good. I find the 690MB to be the fairest of them all and I have been playing them for about five years.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JMEvensky

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »
Miura, as good as they get.

Agreed,with Mizuno as runner up.

I was once told that if sponsorship was ever outlawed,the PGA Tour would be 20% Ping and 80% Mizuno.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
1956 Wilson Staffs.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
MIZZZZZZZZZ-UNO!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
Get thee to a Wishon club fitter/maker and get a MOI fitting (http://wishongolf.com/moi.php) for a set of Wishon blades.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:28 PM »
Tyler, if you are looking to be fitted in Texas, Sam Morrow is at High Meadow Ranch 45 minutes north of Houston.  Really fun course too!

JC Jones

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
I sold golf clubs for many years so I have done quite a bit of research on this question.

Certainly there are some old school blades that you could find used that are great, MacGregor JNs or VIPs, Hogan Apex 2's, etc.  However, if you are buying anything from current to the last 15 years, Mizuno makes the best quality forged golf club out there.  Granted, I haven't seen the new Scratch clubs and I hear they are good.

Get yourself fitted for the right shafts (i.e. low ball hitter should get rifles and high ball hitter should get DyGolds) and you wont regret a purchase of Mizunos.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Justin Harvey

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 07:00:58 PM »
I always thought these were beautiful irons. There cavity back models are also very nice.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:02:30 PM by Justin Harvey »

Steve Lang

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »
 8) i'd go start this thread on BOMBSQUADGOLF.COM if you want some opining..

i played a mixed set of fitted Wishon's 550C's for my 4,5 & 6 and 550M's in my 7, 8, & 9 irons for several years with rifle shafts.. everyone said what a neat set of mizuno's they were, how'd i get them made up (no one ever realized the M was a upside down W)!  loved them.. then one demo day I hit the mizuno MP-60's and feel in love.. still love them after 4-5 years, though they're getting dented like an old ring!

but really, just get fit first as advised, get your shaft cpm numbers, decide if you want to go MOI approach ND FIND WHATLOOKS BEST TO YOUR EYE AND FEELS BEST IN YOUR HANDS..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »
8) i'd go start this thread on BOMBSQUADGOLF.COM if you want some opining..

i played a mixed set of fitted Wishon's 550C's for my 4,5 & 6 and 550M's in my 7, 8, & 9 irons for several years with rifle shafts.. everyone said what a neat set of mizuno's they were, how'd i get them made up (no one ever realized the M was a upside down W)!  loved them.. then one demo day I hit the mizuno MP-60's and feel in love.. still love them after 4-5 years, though they're getting dented like an old ring!

but really, just get fit first as advised, get your shaft cpm numbers, decide if you want to go MOI approach ND FIND WHATLOOKS BEST TO YOUR EYE AND FEELS BEST IN YOUR HANDS..

Those mizunos sure looked good at Belvedere.  Then again, everything looks great at Belvedere ... 5 weeks and counting!! :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Steve Lang

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
 8) JC,

I imagine FLA is very tolerable knowing a return to Charlevoix is approaching.. how long will the summer last up there this year?

We'll be back at Blue Lake late july and early the august.. looking for a return to the Bel or getting you down to The Black Forest and maybe some time on the lake?

the mizunos worked very well at Black Mesa, Pa-Ko Ridge and UNM Championship course weekend before last.. we'll see how they work at bandon next week  8)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
8) JC,

I imagine FLA is very tolerable knowing a return to Charlevoix is approaching.. how long will the summer last up there this year?

We'll be back at Blue Lake late july and early the august.. looking for a return to the Bel or getting you down to The Black Forest and maybe some time on the lake?

the mizunos worked very well at Black Mesa, Pa-Ko Ridge and UNM Championship course weekend before last.. we'll see how they work at bandon next week  8)

I'll be up there Memorial day through the GCA Kingsley weekend July 25th-ish.  I fully intend on playing Black Forest this year as I am going through Doak withdrawal and there ain't no High Pointe to cure what ails me.

Say high to your bride for me, she's the only reason why I want you to come back to play Belvedere with me ;) :)

John Handley

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
I play Mizuno MP-33s and I absolutely love them!
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Chris Flamion

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »
It's got to be Mizuno's.  I have had a set of Mizuno cavity backs since I first started playing and have hit tons of other clubs but nothing else is even close.

Brett Morris

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
I bought a set of Miura's after playing a set of Daiwa Advisor DG273's for almost 20 years.  I love these blades.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 10:20:48 PM »
I have a mixed set of Mizuno's.  MP 60's 3-6 and MP 67's 7-PW and I love them, I bought them used at a sporting goods store for $150 bucks about 2-3 years ago. I am probably not good enough to play them but I do love the way they look.  IMO nothing looks better than a 7 iron blade behind the ball on a perfect fairway.

Those Scratch Irons look BEAUTIFUL, wow!!.

I am not an equipment guy and am of the belief that look and confidence is 90+ percent of how you like your clubs, good swings and solid contact with any clubs will result in good shots, I think the amateur gets too caught up in equipment when they should worry about their swing.  Isn't there a saying that instead of getting new clubs get lessons.

IMO the clubs make small differences in performance that are almost unnoticable to anybody but the best golfers; are certain drivers going to give you a couple more yards if fitted exactly correct, sure but unless you play for a living or are a very good player who cares.

Pat Burke

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
My 2 cents  (worth 1 maybe)
Mizuno's forgings had the best feel, of any iron I hit.  But I could not play with them.  i do not produce much back spin
                         and the Mizuno's HAD  pretty passive grooves.  Did not control my distances well.
Bridgestones Blades   Gorgeous.  Not as soft feeling as Mizuno, but pretty controllable.
Honma   Best looking of the bunch to me, but a little hard feeling
Cleveland  Good feel, but "stick" in the ground a little.  Custom ground the soles to get them to "cut" through better.  Very good
Titleist blades.  Good looking, pretty passive grooves also.  Feel a little harder than Miz
Callaway X blade   Love these.  Long irons a but unforgiving, but short irons are money.  New (legal) grooves were plenty, even for me
Ping  Not really blades, so nope.   But I like their "version"
Miura  WOW!  Just hit one today ironically.  Beautiful, and may be as solid feeling to me as the Miz
Have not hit the Scratch yet :(

George Freeman

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:37 PM »
Get yourself fitted for the right shafts (i.e. low ball hitter should get rifles and high ball hitter should get DyGolds) and you wont regret a purchase of Mizunos.

I thought rifle's give you a more boring (low) ball flight whereas Dynamic Golds helped you get the ball airborne? Or is that what you meant?

Agreed on Mizuno...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »
I play Mizuno MP-33s and I absolutely love them!

+1

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
Titleist 690mb. Great looking. Great feel.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Craig Sweet

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
Miura

I have Mizuno, but Miura's are beautiful
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back