News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Macqueen

Re: If you had to go with one set of blades you would choose.....?
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
I played with Hogan Apex blades for 25 years including persimmon headed driver, brassie and spoon!!  I now have a set of Mizuno clubs and adore them.
Cheers Colin (The Hielander).
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:45 AM »
I thought rifle's give you a more boring (low) ball flight whereas Dynamic Golds helped you get the ball airborne? Or is that what you meant?

Dynamic Golds are as low launching as you can get.  Rifles are pretty "yesterday" at this point, passed by Project X and KBS in popularity.  They were never considered low launching...the "Tour Flighted" version was introduced to lower the ballflight of short irons and raise the flight of long irons for an overall flatter trajectory.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Scott Warren

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 03:33:19 AM »
Kevin,

That may be so, but aren't the DGs a much higher spin shaft that the rifle and PX? Meaning that lower launch does not necessarily mean lower ballflight?

Gareth Williams

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 06:03:16 AM »
Kevin,

That may be so, but aren't the DGs a much higher spin shaft that the rifle and PX? Meaning that lower launch does not necessarily mean lower ballflight?

Scott

In my experience DG are a lower spin iron shaft than PX/Rifles. However they are a totally different bend profile to both PX and Rifle's.

In answer to the O/P - if had the game it would have to be a set of Miura blades!

JMEvensky

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
My 2 cents  (worth 1 maybe)
Mizuno's forgings had the best feel, of any iron I hit.  But I could not play with them.  i do not produce much back spin
                         and the Mizuno's HAD  pretty passive grooves.  Did not control my distances well.
Bridgestones Blades   Gorgeous.  Not as soft feeling as Mizuno, but pretty controllable.
Honma   Best looking of the bunch to me, but a little hard feeling
Cleveland  Good feel, but "stick" in the ground a little.  Custom ground the soles to get them to "cut" through better.  Very good
Titleist blades.  Good looking, pretty passive grooves also.  Feel a little harder than Miz
Callaway X blade   Love these.  Long irons a but unforgiving, but short irons are money.  New (legal) grooves were plenty, even for me
Ping  Not really blades, so nope.   But I like their "version"
Miura  WOW!  Just hit one today ironically.  Beautiful, and may be as solid feeling to me as the Miz
Have not hit the Scratch yet :(

This should be Exhibit A why very few players need to be playing blades.

Unless you can repeat a golf swing enough to get this kind of detailed feedback,you need all the heel and toe you can buy.

This,of course,presupposes that one's score is important and/or one's choice of irons is dependent upon trying to hit more greens.I know that there are frequently other reasons for playing certain clubs.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »
Kevin,

There is some good comparative info on this chart:

http://media.titleist.com/images/cobragolf/products/drivers/pdfs/CustomShafts.pdf
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mike Benham

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
Scott Warren -

FYI, I read in GolfWorld magazine that Ryan Moore did switch to a set of Scratch forged, slightly oversized, cavity-back irons before the Masters. The article said he did it primarily to get more height on his shots. I don't know if he has since switched back to the blades.

DT   

From Golfweek: 

Ryan Moore, although he is one of the owners of Scratch Golf, switched from Scratch AR-1 Tour irons to Ping S56 irons during a recent tournament swing through Asia. ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

William_G

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »
MP32's or MP60's
It's all about the golf!

PCCraig

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
Scott Warren -

FYI, I read in GolfWorld magazine that Ryan Moore did switch to a set of Scratch forged, slightly oversized, cavity-back irons before the Masters. The article said he did it primarily to get more height on his shots. I don't know if he has since switched back to the blades.

DT   

From Golfweek: 

Ryan Moore, although he is one of the owners of Scratch Golf, switched from Scratch AR-1 Tour irons to Ping S56 irons during a recent tournament swing through Asia. ...

Very interesting...

He was always a Ping guy before he bought into Scratch...so maybe he just likes the cavity back look better?
H.P.S.

Pat Burke

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
I am using Callaway cavity/blades.
All of the companies offering blades have great offerings.
You must get fitted, but in my opinion, outdoors is a must.
Way too often, especially with pretty good players, the grind of the sole, and bounce is overlooked. 
Mats in an indoor setting are very forgiving as far as the club "moving through" the turf.
Shafts/lies etc are pretty easy to fit someone for.  Grip size, and how the club works through the ground
are hugely important and need a good fitter to help!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
Scott Warren -

DT   

From Golfweek: 

Very interesting...

He was always a Ping guy before he bought into Scratch...so maybe he just likes the cavity back look better?

I know this is OT, but Scratch and Ryan Moore have parted ways.

SL_Solow

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
I was a blade player for many years.  Now play forged Miura's with a small cavity.  Look and feel like the blades but I think they are more forgiving.  Incidentally, before he opened his own shop, Miura did the forging for Mizuno.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »
I like the Mizuno MP-14s.  It is very soft.  I think the Miura blades that I have hit are solid, but too hard to hit.

FOR YOU MIZUNO FANS, HAS ANYONE TRIED THE TN-87?  I have been trying to find some.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
The old dunlop maxfli's red dot from the 70's

Jon

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
I was a blade player for many years.  Now play forged Miura's with a small cavity.  Look and feel like the blades but I think they are more forgiving.  Incidentally, before he opened his own shop, Miura did the forging for Mizuno.

Just curious, has your scores or handicap dropped since the switch?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David_Tepper

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2010, 06:26:05 PM »
Miura currently makes 1 model of forged blades and 4 models of forged cavity backs.

http://www.miuragolf.com/miura-clubs.asp

Travis Dewire

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
http://valueguide.pga.com/images/TM/Irons/rac_tp_combo_large.jpg

vintageeee!! 3-6 the CB "slight" cavity, 7-9 MB blade, 48* rack wedge - not like a funked out looking mizuno

Don't think you can pass on the gunmetal finish of the Stack wedges - those custom finishes are oh so sweet

I'm so out of the equipment loop these days - didn't eve know these Beauts existed untill just now!!!!!!!

Ted Cahill

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
My 2 cents  (worth 1 maybe)
Mizuno's forgings had the best feel, of any iron I hit.  But I could not play with them.  i do not produce much back spin
                         and the Mizuno's HAD  pretty passive grooves.  Did not control my distances well.
Bridgestones Blades   Gorgeous.  Not as soft feeling as Mizuno, but pretty controllable.
Honma   Best looking of the bunch to me, but a little hard feeling
Cleveland  Good feel, but "stick" in the ground a little.  Custom ground the soles to get them to "cut" through better.  Very good
Titleist blades.  Good looking, pretty passive grooves also.  Feel a little harder than Miz
Callaway X blade   Love these.  Long irons a but unforgiving, but short irons are money.  New (legal) grooves were plenty, even for me
Ping  Not really blades, so nope.   But I like their "version"
Miura  WOW!  Just hit one today ironically.  Beautiful, and may be as solid feeling to me as the Miz
Have not hit the Scratch yet :(

I played Cleveland CG1's for some time and then tried out the Mizuno 68's because everyone I respected raved about Mizuno.  I will agree that when I flushed em- I hit some of the best shots I have ever hit.  But, coming from the Clevelands, the 68's felt "heavy" to me.  It was fairly distracting and I retreated back to the CG1's- which I do love.  I must admit that the Callaway x blades to look sexy- I would love to test em out.  Has anyone else found the Mizuno's to feel heavy?
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
Back in 1972 I spent ten months in Rhodesia to sell off some farming land I owned. During that time I played a number of times with Simon Hobday, David Leadbetter and a bunch of other pros and good amateurs. They all lusted for Hogan irons. I came back to the US in October and called the Hogan factory and ordered the 1972 Apex irons, No. 4 shaft and quarter inch tipped. The best clubs ever. They now sit in my garage in a golf bag hung up so the mice can't get at them. Now and again I take them down to Quail Lodge to hit a bucket of balls. The 1 iron looks like a Gillete razor blade on the end of a telegraph pole.

I cannot for the life of me remember how I used them.

Sic transit Gloria.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2010, 11:18:35 PM »
I went to a set of Scratch EZ-1's and cut my index in half from 5.0 to 2.5.  They are the first set of irons that I take into my house and give a loving rub since I was a child. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »
I went to a set of Scratch EZ-1's and cut my index in half from 5.0 to 2.5.  They are the first set of irons that I take into my house and give a loving rub since I was a child. 

There is nothing queer about John.

Bob

Sam Morrow

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »

John,

Do you spin the ball a lot? I'm a high spin player and the EZ-1's gave me some trouble.

I should also add KZG to the mix, love my KZG Blades.

Mickey Boland

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
Back in 1972 I spent ten months in Rhodesia to sell off some farming land I owned. During that time I played a number of times with Simon Hobday, David Leadbetter and a bunch of other pros and good amateurs. They all lusted for Hogan irons. I came back to the US in October and called the Hogan factory and ordered the 1972 Apex irons, No. 4 shaft and quarter inch tipped. The best clubs ever. They now sit in my garage in a golf bag hung up so the mice can't get at them. Now and again I take them down to Quail Lodge to hit a bucket of balls. The 1 iron looks like a Gillete razor blade on the end of a telegraph pole.

I cannot for the life of me remember how I used them.

Sic transit Gloria.

Bob

Except for the quarter inch tip, I had/have the exact same clubs.  Bought them new at cost when I was working at a golf course and played with them for about 22 years.  I've compared the 2-iron to a butter knife, it looks so small.  They were my first set of pro-caliber irons I owned and my wife just can't seem to understand why I still have them.  Haven't hit one in a long, long time but you've inspired me to take them out to the range this week. 

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »
Purdy...

Like a Samurai sword

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ashley Clinch

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:53 AM »
I played with a set of Golden Ram Vibration Matched irons up until a fews years ago. The word spatula comes to mind. But geez they were good. Frosty Sunday mornings sure made you try and find the sweet spot very quickly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back