News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Waldron

Re: 1757 - New DC Public Course
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
Here is the update on 1757 Golf Club. Billy Casper Golf began managing the property for the new lessee (An affiliate of BCG) in May 2009. The prior developer went bankrupt and all existing improvements to the property were turned over to the Landlord Group which includes Lerner Corp. (Owners of Washington Nationals). At that time there were 11 holes completed as well as a 74 station lighted driving range with 54 turf stations and 20 grass stations. There was also a 17,500 sq ft clubhouse, a two story learning center with 6 hitting bays and a one story club fitting building with 2 hitting bays. Our lease requires the completion of the 18-hole course as well as the maintenance building and cart storage facility. We are also adding another 60 station grass range tee, a 5,000 sq ft putting green by the first tee and a 17,000 sq ft putting green behind the learning center.

We opened a 10-hole loop in May 2009 and went to work on building the remaining holes. David Heatwole the original architect was retained to complete the course. The original developer had planned 27 holes including 16 on the north side of Waxpool road and 11 on the south side. Since Lerner only controlled the land north of Waxpool we need to design all 18 holes on the land originally designated for 16 holes. The result is a par 70 golf course with a course rating of 71.8 and slope of 141. We reviewed numerous routing options with Heatwole and the best option was to finish with the par 3 18th hole. The hole plays back towards the clubhouse and patio adding pressure to an already difficult shot...can you say #17 at TPC Sawgrass?? There will certainly be a plenty of balls hit into the water. I played the new holes on Monday and actually birdied #18! The course opens to the public on Thursday May 6. You will experience a country club for a day at 1757 since the course and finishes were originally designed to be private. The course features bent grass from tee to green and you can definitely see the Nicklaus influence in Heatwole's design.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »
Rob, thanks for the update. An interesting turn of events produces the water hazard par three 18th. 

Mike

CJ Carder

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 03:55:26 PM »
Just read a short article about a new public course near D.C.  Has anyone played this course yet?

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/1757-debuts-full-course-in-May/1805/Default.aspx

I'm sure this has been discussed at length here, but I was surprised to read that it closes with a water carrying par-3.

"At 6,623 yards, the par 70 course is not long by modern standards, and, unusually, features a par three closing hole. The 165 yard eighteenth calls for a shot over water to a narrow green."

For my benefit, are there any prominent courses which close in such a fashion?

East Lake
Sandpiper
Congressional Blue (although I guess that's changed........)
Pensacola CC   ;)
Garden City
Pasatiempo (how could I forget?)
Painswick

Left off the Cascades course at the Homestead.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
For VSGA members there's an article with pics about this course in the Virginia Golfer that came in today's mail.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 09:00:19 PM »
Sigh.  Being a DC golfer without a private club just sucks.  There's no course for 40 miles that isn't a guaranteed 6 hour round for under $60 weekends, almost all public courses make you use carts on weekends, and even the $100 daily fees - of which there seem to be too many - are at least 4 hour rounds.

Justin --

I feel your pain. However, this is a bit of hyperbole, no?  There are under $60 rounds on weekends that often take 4.5 hours or less:  Glenn Dale and Twin Lakes/Oaks (which you can walk anytime).  If you're willing to play at the crack of dawn, which I actually prefer in the summer around here, you can get around Twin Lakes in under 4 hours.

In fact, I'd wager these two play as fast or faster than the $100+ courses.

Jimmy

Bill Gayne

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
The Portrush Valley course also finishes with a par three.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »
Sigh.  Being a DC golfer without a private club just sucks.  There's no course for 40 miles that isn't a guaranteed 6 hour round for under $60 weekends, almost all public courses make you use carts on weekends, and even the $100 daily fees - of which there seem to be too many - are at least 4 hour rounds.

Justin --

I feel your pain. However, this is a bit of hyperbole, no?  There are under $60 rounds on weekends that often take 4.5 hours or less:  Glenn Dale and Twin Lakes/Oaks (which you can walk anytime).  If you're willing to play at the crack of dawn, which I actually prefer in the summer around here, you can get around Twin Lakes in under 4 hours.

In fact, I'd wager these two play as fast or faster than the $100+ courses.

Jimmy

Glenn Dale is a long round on weekends - on weekdays and off-season, it's great.  Twin Lakes is just too far from me to matter.  An hour each direction if traffic is good, more if otherwise (I live in Columbia Heights).

Also, I believe Glenn Dale now requires you to ride before 1pm on weekends - new rule on their website.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
Mike,

Are you thinking of Oak Hills in San Antonio?

Greg

mike_beene

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »
That is the one. I knew there was a tree in there somewhere.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back