News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Colton
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
Did you enjoy writing a book?  What was the most unexpected challenge associated with the project.

Here are some jabs at your ranking list (all without taking the rankings too seriously):
I
1.  The General at 31?  Eagle Ridge North 82 and South 88?

I remember the condo and the high prices more than the courses.

In fairness, my recollection could be tainted by the fact we goaded a friend into driving 350 miles to join us for the last two days of a three day trip.  He initially dropped out after nearly cutting off a finger with a power saw.  After inspiring him to make the drive we fell asleep and locked the condo.  He arrived at 4 am locked out and irritated.  Nonetheless he managed to beat us playing with nine fingers the next day.  His finger is still screwed up 15 years later but I think he is still happy with his decision to make the drive.

2.  The Harvester at 49?

What time of year did you play there and in what weather?  I would rank it much more highly - probably around 20 on your list.

3.  Why did you rank Arcadia Bluffs ahead of Black Mesa?

4.  What is wrong with Lawsonia Links (59), Vista Verde (80) and the Warren Course (129)?

5.  Why is Ballyneal better than Sand Hills?

Ben Sims

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2010, 12:00:12 AM »
Colton -

Your strength is your driving.  When he's right, Colton can bomb it 320 right down the middle which leads to easy pars and many birdie chances.  I sense the driver coming back and thus, sub 80 rounds once again for JC. 

Jimbo,

So I take it you didn't see the video of "the driver" on the 16th tee at Cypress.....

BTW, Murphy was hanging with "real" puffins this weekend at Sea World in San Antonio.  Almost as cool as when he got to hang out with a certain seal in Michigan.

Jim Colton

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »
Did you enjoy writing a book?  What was the most unexpected challenge associated with the project.

Here are some jabs at your ranking list (all without taking the rankings too seriously):
I

In fairness, my recollection could be tainted by the fact we goaded a friend into driving 350 miles to join us for the last two days of a three day trip.  He initially dropped out after nearly cutting off a finger with a power saw.  After inspiring him to make the drive we fell asleep and locked the condo.  He arrived at 4 am locked out and irritated.  Nonetheless he managed to beat us playing with nine fingers the next day.  His finger is still screwed up 15 years later but I think he is still happy with his decision to make the drive.

2.  The Harvester at 49?

What time of year did you play there and in what weather?  I would rank it much more highly - probably around 20 on your list.

4.  What is wrong with Lawsonia Links (59), Vista Verde (80) and the Warren Course (129)?

Kevin,  I also played the Jubilee and New Course at St Andrews.

Jason, the only challenge in writing the book were my lack of skills as an writer.  The rest was a breeze.  Any idiot can do it (case in point).  But I'm happy to have that stuff in print and on record.  It was a lot of fun.

Thanks for pointing out all my rating deficiencies.  I pretty much agree with the logic behind your jabs.  I just hit 300 courses so it's probably time for a little spring cleaning anyways.  You've got to go in and adjust every so often.  I will say that my tastes in golf courses have evolved quite a bit in the past few years, mostly a function of simply being exposed to how good golf can get.  There was a time where a course like Eagle Ridge would've been one of the top 10 courses I had ever played.

- I think we're playing the Harvester this summer.  That and Lawsonia are the two courses that I need to get a second look at.  I agree they are both probably too low on my list, but I want to play them again before I give them a huge jump.  I played Lawsonia way back in 1997.

- Recently, Wyatt H. was asking me Doak scale ratings on courses I've played, and I had Black Mesa ahead of Arcadia.  I was in the car and he was staring at my list, and I said, "I have Arcadia ahead of Black Mesa, don't I?"  So that's a change that I've been too lazy to make.  I really enjoyed Black Mesa, whereas last time I was at Arcadia I didn't even bother playing.

- The last time I tried to answer the Ballyneal vs. Sand Hills question, I was subjected to a passive-aggressive browbeating from one of the more prolific posters here.  I'm not sure why there's so much emotion tied to comparing these two courses.  I certainly wouldn't fault somebody liking Sand Hills more than Ballyneal.  I think Ballyneal is more fun and find the greens to be more interesting.  Those are two categories that I happen to value highly these days.

Tim Bert

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2010, 01:11:46 AM »
Well I am sorry I missed out on most of the fun here. I didn't know you were in the hot seat. Since I am late to the game I will toss out a few softballs.

1. What is the single best episode of The Wire and what makes it so?
2. Top 5 characters from The Wire?
3. Best 5 apps for the iPad?
4. You call yourself a Star Wars fan and you skipped out on the original in the theater?  No excuses, I was there - age 4.  My son saw it when he was 2 1/2.
5. Did you ever actually record an entire song using the I Am T-Pain app?
6. How can you call "sees green sites like Neo" the best line in a song that contains the following gems: "this ain't the Straits course, this is real as it gets" or "f&$# trees, I chop hills mother f$&#er" or "like all his posts say, I love gca"
7. What is the best hole on Blackwolf Run River? The worst?
8. Which color combo of the dual color gummy worms is your favorite?
9. How many hours did you spend on your armchair archie entry?

Jim Colton

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:37 AM »
Well I am sorry I missed out on most of the fun here. I didn't know you were in the hot seat. Since I am late to the game I will toss out a few softballs.

1. What is the single best episode of The Wire and what makes it so?
2. Top 5 characters from The Wire?
3. Best 5 apps for the iPad?
4. You call yourself a Star Wars fan and you skipped out on the original in the theater?  No excuses, I was there - age 4.  My son saw it when he was 2 1/2.
5. Did you ever actually record an entire song using the I Am T-Pain app?
6. How can you call "sees green sites like Neo" the best line in a song that contains the following gems: "this ain't the Straits course, this is real as it gets" or "f&$# trees, I chop hills mother f$&#er" or "like all his posts say, I love gca"
7. What is the best hole on Blackwolf Run River? The worst?
8. Which color combo of the dual color gummy worms is your favorite?
9. How many hours did you spend on your armchair archie entry?

1. I don't know if it's the best episode, but the one where Kima gets shot in Season 1 is up there.  If you weren't hooked by the time you reach that episode, you certainly are after it.
2. Stringer, Freamon, Bunky Bunk, Omar, Bodie.  Hon mention: Prop Joe, Slim Charles, Griggs
3.  I got a passive-aggressive browbeating from my wife when The Masters and NBA scoreboard app showed up on her iPad, so I can't really answer that question.  A GCA-app would be one of the top 5 apps for the iPad, as anyone who has tried to scroll up or down the text box on an iPhone or iPad can attest.
4. What can I say, when we were separated at birth, you were blessed with better parents than I.
5. You still owe me $2.99
6. You forgot "Sebonack...Look at me!"
7. Best hole: 16th, Worst hole: 13th.  That tree has gotten too big.
8. Green/Red.  I've turned into a gummy worm snob, as I'll avoid the gas station 99 cent generic and definitely the $4.99 airport gummy worms.  Black Forest is better than Trolli.
9. It was so long ago that I can't even remember.  I sent my entry to Charlie on Feb 21. Maybe 15-20 hours?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:39:59 AM by Jim Colton »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »

I

2.  The Harvester at 49?

- Recently, Wyatt H. was asking me Doak scale ratings on courses I've played, and I had Black Mesa ahead of Arcadia.  I was in the car and he was staring at my list, and I said, "I have Arcadia ahead of Black Mesa, don't I?"  So that's a change that I've been too lazy to make.  I really enjoyed Black Mesa, whereas last time I was at Arcadia I didn't even bother playing.

FWIW, I am definitely with you on the Black Mesa over Arcadian Bluffs.   There are some beautiful holes and background scenery at AB, but it's disjointed and has no rhythm in the routing, where Black Mesa is a seamless tribute to what a golf course can be built in the desert.  There's a great mix of short and long holes with a very dynamic flow.  I love short par 4s, and #7 and #14 are as good as they get.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:25 AM »
Jim, are you getting impatient for the results of the AAC?

All I can say is: Muahahahahahahaha!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jim Colton

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
Jim, are you getting impatient for the results of the AAC?

All I can say is: Muahahahahahahaha!

Impatient left town a long time ago.  It's more like indifferent now.  I just want some closure!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
Jim,

This is quite random but I think it every time I see you post.

Can you describe the shirt you are wearing in your avatar?

It looks to me very much like an Ashworth half zip pullover I have--mostly black with army green side panels. I got mine at the 2008 US Open and have been trying to find another ever since.

;D

Jim Colton

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
Jim,

This is quite random but I think it every time I see you post.

Can you describe the shirt you are wearing in your avatar?

It looks to me very much like an Ashworth half zip pullover I have--mostly black with army green side panels. I got mine at the 2008 US Open and have been trying to find another ever since.

;D

Matthew, it's a Nike sweater, half-zip pullover.

Richard Choi

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
Since we are asking some really deep stuff...

Say you have a child who has never seen any Star Wars movie. In which order do you show them the movies? Do you go by the trilogy order (i.e. I, II, III, IV, V, VI) or in chronological order (IV, V, VI, I, II, III)?

To make it even more difficult, what if the said child has seen Clone Wars movie and TV series?

Jim Colton

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
Since we are asking some really deep stuff...

Say you have a child who has never seen any Star Wars movie. In which order do you show them the movies? Do you go by the trilogy order (i.e. I, II, III, IV, V, VI) or in chronological order (IV, V, VI, I, II, III)?

To make it even more difficult, what if the said child has seen Clone Wars movie and TV series?

Either way, 4-6 then 1-3.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
I spent an hour drinking beers with Stringer at the Hard Rock pool a year ago.  You think he's great on the Wire, you should see him handle the Hard Rock pool.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
Sorry I am late to the game but thanks to a certain individual I have been working late at work. So without any further delay

1) Who was the real brains behind I'm on a Doak
2) Tell the truth how nervous were you really when it got leaked on the net
3) Since you have become a internet golf sensation and you have a Billboard top 100 hit what advice can you give for dealing with the GCA Paparazzi
4) When will you finally start wearing something other than orange
5) Forget the Tangs vs Tangs what I want to know is how many strokes do you need from THEM to win
6) You mentioned your BUCKET LIST if you were asked tomorrow to play one of your remaining courses on the list and it would be the only one you got a chance to play for the next ten years what would it be
7) Do you really think Ben has a chance to be a world class archy ?
8) The chances of Choi bringing his xbox to the Yucca
9) How long did it take you to get over the fact you had to play CP without the Tangs ? I'm guessing 5 min
10) Did you ever think about going righty since lefty doesn't seem to be working ?
11) What is the best chapter in your book and why
12) If Wyatt's name wasn't Wyatt would we still like him as much ?

That's it . I had much tougher questions but since we have some younger members now I will keep it rated G .

Brad

Jim Colton

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
Sorry I am late to the game but thanks to a certain individual I have been working late at work. So without any further delay

1) Who was the real brains behind I'm on a Doak
2) Tell the truth how nervous were you really when it got leaked on the net
3) Since you have become a internet golf sensation and you have a Billboard top 100 hit what advice can you give for dealing with the GCA Paparazzi
4) When will you finally start wearing something other than orange
5) Forget the Tangs vs Tangs what I want to know is how many strokes do you need from THEM to win
6) You mentioned your BUCKET LIST if you were asked tomorrow to play one of your remaining courses on the list and it would be the only one you got a chance to play for the next ten years what would it be
7) Do you really think Ben has a chance to be a world class archy ?
9) How long did it take you to get over the fact you had to play CP without the Tangs ? I'm guessing 5 min
10) Did you ever think about going righty since lefty doesn't seem to be working ?
11) What is the best chapter in your book and why
12) If Wyatt's name wasn't Wyatt would we still like him as much ?

That's it . I had much tougher questions but since we have some younger members now I will keep it rated G .

Brad

1. Unfortunately, I think I can claim at least 95% of the credit for it.
2. I wasn't worried about it or any negative repercussions because I knew there was no malicious intentions behind it.  Just a weak attempt at golf architecture humor.  I will admit I was a little anxious to hear Tom's thoughts, but he seemed to be okay with it.  Although the restraining order is keeping me out of the Mashie next weekend.
3. Use two cell phones.  Oh wait, you said paparazzi.
4. Hey, you have a laugh that you can hear from three fairways over.  I have a hat you can see from miles away.  We all need some kind of calling card.
5. Please, there's no way I'm taking strokes from either of them.  I'd hang 'em up if it ever came to that.
6. NGLA easy.  By the way, Old Mac would be #5 on my list.  I forgot to add it before.
7. Baby steps.  Let's make sure he can correctly identify template holes first.
8. I don't think he's bringing his Xbox.  I think he is bringing AN xbox to give to the club.  That's what I thought I heard last summer.

Speaking of Choi, I hope he has a GTK thread of his own, so I can ask him why his Xbox avatar is a chick (see below)

9. Honestly, I thought long and hard about passing on the opportunity because it wasn't with them.  But then I realized that not only would they have never done the same for me, the thought of doing so would've never crossed their minds.  They don't even call me to play the local muni anymore.
10. All the time.
11. Either The Ballynizzle Cup or The Demise of Tom Doak.  Both were memorable experiences that I think came to life in print.
12. If his first name were Thomas, I'd like him about 0.2% less.

Richard Choi

« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

Don't worry, the wheels are already in motion. I fully expect to see at least you, Colton, and Wyatt to belt out your favorite Rock Band song on Saturday night, so you better get practicin'!!!

And my Avatar is a chick because my daughter created it herself... :)

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
Good answers to all. I do hate to admit it but it was definitley better than a weak attempt. You must like Wyatt more than me as it was 5.0 % for me . They say it's all in the name.

Choi baby as long as it's not Justin. I 'll leave that for you .

Jason McNamara

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »

Either way, 4-6 then 1-3.

I thought the sequence was 4-6, then switch to Close Encounters and the even-numbered Star Trek movies.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »
Jim,

How do you think Chicago public golf stacks up to other metro area offerings?

Name the dead guy course you are most interested in seeing and why?

Macdonald:  answered already
Maxwell:
Thompson:
MacKenzie:
Ross:
Raynor:
Banks:
Park Jr.:
Thomas:
Langford:

Which courses do you enjoy, or want to see by the following architects:

Engh:
Fazio:
Jones:
Silva:
Hanse:

Jim Franklin

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »
You have probably answered this somewhere, but how long did it take for you to write your book? Any help?

Where did you say Rock Creek was on your Bucket List?
Mr Hurricane

George Pazin

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
Just as an FYI for everyone, Jim indicated to me that he's away briefly starting today. I'll try to remember to bump this thread when I notice his return, but the way my memory is these days, someone else may want to try this as well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Colton

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
Jim,

How do you think Chicago public golf stacks up to other metro area offerings?

Name the dead guy course you are most interested in seeing and why?

Macdonald:  answered already
Maxwell:
Thompson:
MacKenzie:
Ross:
Raynor:
Banks:
Park Jr.:
Thomas:
Langford:

Which courses do you enjoy, or want to see by the following architects:

Engh:
Fazio:
Jones:
Silva:
Hanse:

I'm in the airport so let the good times roll.

There are a lot of average to above average public courses in Chicago. Not a ton of standouts, it's basically Cog Hill, a notch down to a few courses such as Cantigny, Pine Meadow, etc and then another notch down to a courses that you wouldn't necessarily go out of your way to play, but would still are enjoyable. The season is short and the prices are generally high, but I think it stacks up well with other areas simply from a quantity standpoint. Indianapolis is probably just as good from a quality standpoint. 

I don't know how to answer your other question about architects without sounding like a bedpost notcher looking to play the best each has to offer. I do enjoy the hidden gem type threads you read here as they help highlight courses that you might have missed if you only used the rankings, publications, etc. Or when somebody makes a statement like 'Martis Camp is the best Fazio I've played' or 'Rock Creek Cattle Company is the best course I've ever played', your antennae goes up towards seeing those courses in the future. My only issue is figuring out how to prioritize as I may only see 2-3 new (to me) courses a year.

Jim Colton

Re: Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Coltonw
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
You have probably answered this somewhere, but how long did it take for you to write your book? Any help?

A lot of the book was already written over the course of four years, but it took about 3-4 months to clean it up and try to make it cohesive.

Rock Creek is very high on the list, probably right after Old Mac. Unfortunately, I had to pass on two opportunities to play there this year.

Jim Franklin

Re: Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Coltonw
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »

A lot of the book was already written over the course of four years, but it took about 3-4 months to clean it up and try to make it cohesive.

Rock Creek is very high on the list, probably right after Old Mac. Unfortunately, I had to pass on two opportunities to play there this year.

I am seeing Old Mac this summer. Any chance to play Rock Creek should be jumped on as their golf season is so short.
Mr Hurricane

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2010, 09:51:08 PM »
Jim:

Is Shepherd's Crook really last on your list of Chicago publics?

Tangs excluded, name your dream GCA foursome and non-GCA foursome.

You're on a boat with Snoop, Tom Doak, Yoda and Deron Wiliams. The boat is sinking but there's a lifeboat that holds three people.  Who gets out alive and why? 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back