News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Gold

Pebble Beach Tee times
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
A group of us is thinking about playing Pebble some week day in September. We plan to rent a house for a few days and not stay at the lodge. My questions is, what are the odds of us securing a decent tee time if we have 2 different days as options? Anyone have any experience booking one day in advance as is allowed for non-lodge guests?

thanks

Ted Cahill

Re: Pebble Beach Tee times
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:33:04 PM »
In January, I literally walked on as a single and got out in a half hour (i was not staying at the resort)  I think the month of January is slow for Pebble and allowed me to get on easily.  I continue to hear their rounds are way down because they have lost a lot of corporate events in the recession. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:36:56 PM »
I think September and October are the busiest months, for what it is worth.

Rob Miller

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
As a single, it shouldn't be a problem.  If you have a few guys it's not guaranteed but if you have a few days, Vegas odds are in your favor.   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »
Mr Gold, Can't speak of September...But, From a recent report (one week ago), I was semi shocked to hear getting out is no problem. I say semi, only because we're getting close to June and the open. With corporate expenditures under check, it is no surprise there's plenty of tee times available. I suspect, since you'll have several days to choose from, there should be no problem. No guarantees, but with a little diligence, calling 24hrs in advance, daily, should work. Showing up very early (Dawn) and getting on the list is your last resort.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:11 AM »
Does anyone know what the charge is for a round at Pebble?

Rob Miller

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
$495 (caddie and/or cart not included)

Steve D

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »
Bob,

I played Pebble back in April of 2008 and I did not stay in the lodge.  I was a single and kept my eye on the online tee sheet pretty closely in the months leading up to my trip.  I called 30 days out to book my round at Spyglass Hill and when I was talking to the reservationist about my plans to "walk on" at Pebble she said she could book me right there on the spot.  According to her, if the tee sheet is less than a certain percentage full (I don't know what that percentage is) she is able to book Pebble for non resort guests 30 days in advance, the same as Spyglass Hill.  Its a bit of a long shot, but its worth a try.  Getting a 4 ball out there with the 24 hour non resort guest window seems like a real stretch.  If you do end up trying that I would suggest calling the resort the minute that the window opens because you certainly will not be the only one trying to snap up the available spots.  If you cannot get the full group out together I would think that you would have better luck splitting up into two groups of 2 and trying that way.

Steve
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:18:02 AM by Steve DeWalle »

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:17:53 AM »
How much of the course are you able to check out without playing?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »
Scott. If you mean check out by walking around? The whole thing
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
Really? That's great! Thanks.

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »

Don't take our word for it, Call the shop NOW and ask what the tee sheet looks like for the days you are planning.

They have many events at / around Pebble, the Concourse D'Elegance in August, the Monterey Jazz Festival in September that either occupy the course or put enough tourists in town that could screw up your housing / golfing plans, not just for Pebble, but some of the other courses in the area as well.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:29:35 PM »
A group of us is thinking about playing Pebble some week day in September. We plan to rent a house for a few days and not stay at the lodge. My questions is, what are the odds of us securing a decent tee time if we have 2 different days as options? Anyone have any experience booking one day in advance as is allowed for non-lodge guests?

thanks

Bob,

Where are you thinking of renting a house for a few days? If it is in Carmel I suggest you do some homework, most rentals are for a week and they are pretty pricey; something like $5 to $6 thousand for a small house with enough beds for a "Group."

September and October are our best months for weather with lots of other stuff besides golf, going on.

Bob

John Blain

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »
Is it preposterous to think that Bandon Dunes is hurting Pebble Beach?

A recent story in Golf Digest quoted David Fay as saying that he would take the Bandon trip over the Pebble trip even if the Pebble trip included Cypress Point.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:55 PM »

A recent story in Golf Digest quoted David Fay as saying that he would take the Bandon trip over the Pebble trip even if the Pebble trip included Cypress Point.

That could be the most ridiculous statement ever made!

(By Fay, not you... ;) )

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
I also want back up what Bob said about rentals. I also want to note that for a first time player staying at the lodge and just enjoying all that is Pebble, Spyglass is a big part of the golf experience. All is pricey but under the once in a lifetime view of things I would say just bunkup. You will miss the chance of a few outings being there the week you are around blocking you out completely. September/October at just perfect in the land of Sam Morse.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:57:35 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

David_Elvins

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

Scott,

Because, on most days, everyone who plays it tees off the first and plays 18 holes, the course gets progressively more empty towards the end of the day. Nothing to stop you walking around and, golf course aside, it is one of the most interesting a beautiful places to walk.  Kind of ironic that a course that costs $500 to play actually offers one of the best value for money experiences in the golf world. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
If your planning on playing Spyglass, Spanish Bay, or Del Monte along with Pebble with your buddies you might want to consider the Duke's Card that is offered:

http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=2350

you get big discounts at all those courses and sometimes even Pebble in the off season, I have had good luck with it. Also Bayonet Blackhorse has some great deals on line if you sign up for their online club.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:06:54 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
If your planning on playing Spyglass, Spanish Bay, or Del Monte along with Pebble with your buddies your might want to consider the Duke's Card that is offered:

you get big discounts at all those courses and sometimes even Pebble in the off season, I have had good luck with it. Also Bayonet Blackhorse has some great deals on line if you sign up for their online club.

If you go to Monterey for golf, it would be a complete waste of time to check out Bayonet or Black Horse, sorry Tim.

Pasatiempo, on the other hand, is fantastic, and just 45 minutes down the road.  Out of the Monterey courses, only Cypress and Pebble are better, as Mackenzie put his genius to work at Pasa.  In fact, I would go out of my way to make it to Pasatiempo.  It is possible to do a morning round in Monterey and an afternoon round at Pasa with plenty of daylight to spare, Mayhugh and I did it last summer and we had a blast.

John Mayhugh and I also each signed up for the NCGA last summer, at $50 each.  You can sign up at Poppy Hills, it takes almost no time at all.  We saved well over the $50 fee per person at Pasatiempo, and the rates at Poppy Hills also get much cheaper as a member.  I'm not sure if you'll get discounts at Spanish Bay, Spyglass or Del Monte (you don't at Pebble), but you'll get your moneys worth using the membership at Poppy and Pasa alone, and on top of that you'll be supporting a great cause.  John Vanderbought, a fellow gca member, heads the NCGA and could give you further details.

Oh, just to throw it out there, my first time to Monterey I had no problem getting on at Pebble.  At about 1:00 on a beautiful April day with the peninsula just packed, while we were on the 16th hole at Spyglass, Bob Jenkins, John Mayhugh, and I decided we wanted to play Pebble that afternoon.  We got to the Pebble pro shop at 2:15, and teed off about a half hour later, with no calls in advance or anything.  Definitely not the best way to try and get on Pebble, but it can be done.  If you're coming in from another country, or this is a once in a lifetime trip for you, and getting a time at Pebble seems to be a problem, I suggest talking to Edward at at the Pebble Beach pro shop and explaining to him your situation.  Edward is a very kind gentleman and will surely take time to try and meet your needs and wishes regarding Pebble Beach.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jordan

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

Scott,

Because, on most days, everyone who plays it tees off the first and plays 18 holes, the course gets progressively more empty towards the end of the day. Nothing to stop you walking around and, golf course aside, it is one of the most interesting a beautiful places to walk.  Kind of ironic that a course that costs $500 to play actually offers one of the best value for money experiences in the golf world. 

That sounds great. I will definitely take advantage of that. Thanks. I had just assumed they would police it massively and you'd only be able to see around the clubhouse and the roads that run through the course.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
If your planning on playing Spyglass, Spanish Bay, or Del Monte along with Pebble with your buddies your might want to consider the Duke's Card that is offered:

If you go to Monterey for golf, it would be a complete waste of time to check out Bayonet or Black Horse, sorry Tim.

Pasatiempo, on the other hand, is fantastic, and just 45 minutes down the road.  Out of the Monterey courses, only Cypress and Pebble are better, as Mackenzie put his genius to work at Pasa.  In fact, I would go out of my way to make it to Pasatiempo.  It is possible to do a morning round in Monterey and an afternoon round at Pasa with plenty of daylight to spare, Mayhugh and I did it last summer and we had a blast.

John Mayhugh and I also each signed up for the NCGA last summer, at $50 each.  You can sign up at Poppy Hills, it takes almost no time at all.  We saved well over the $50 fee per person at Pasatiempo, and the rates at Poppy Hills also get much cheaper as a member.  I'm not sure if you'll get discounts at Spanish Bay, Spyglass or Del Monte (you don't at Pebble), but you'll get your moneys worth using the membership at Poppy and Pasa alone, and on top of that you'll be supporting a great cause.  John Vanderbought, a fellow gca member, heads the NCGA and could give you further details.

Oh, just to throw it out there, my first time to Monterey I had no problem getting on at Pebble.  At about 1:00 on a beautiful April day with the peninsula just packed, while we were on the 16th hole at Spyglass, Bob Jenkins, John Mayhugh, and I decided we wanted to play Pebble that afternoon.  We got to the Pebble pro shop at 2:15, and teed off about a half hour later, with no calls in advance or anything.  Definitely not the best way to try and get on Pebble, but it can be done.  If you're coming in from another country, or this is a once in a lifetime trip for you, and getting a time at Pebble seems to be a problem, I suggest talking to Edward at at the Pebble Beach pro shop and explaining to him your situation.  Edward is a very kind gentleman and will surely take time to try and meet your needs and wishes regarding Pebble Beach.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jordan

Hey Jordan... how many Sugar Daddies do you have anyways on this site? Hope all is well back at Waa-Zu ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 06:21:49 PM »

I don't want to hijack this thread but, Jordan, that is an unbelievably ignorant statement. I have played those courses for 30 years and the Black Horse is better than it ever was and the Bayonet may not be as quirky as it once was, but it is just as difficult and actually has better views since it was redesigned. Both courses will be ranked in the top 20 publics in the state when the resort is finished. For value, the $75 a player riding after 2 rate
is one of the best in No Cal.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Elvins

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »

I don't want to hijack this thread but, Jordan, that is an unbelievably ignorant statement.

sorry Tim, although I have only been to bayonet/black horse once, I would agree with Jordan. 

If i was in the area again I would play Pacific Grove 10 times before playing Bayonet/Black Horse once. 

If you are a local, I can see some merit in playing their for variety but a visitor would be completely wasting their time, IMO, as the courses are not only average, but offer nothing distinctive to other courses in other areas of the country.

*of course, this is based on one visit. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »

That's because David Fay has played Cypress a number of times. 

I love Bandon, but a Pebble-Cypress-Pasatempio trip beats a Pacific Dunes-Bandon Trails-Bandon Dunes trip every time.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
Sorry as well Tim
But I lived there for 5 years and it was at least Pacific Grove 400 Fort Ord 1.   I had played Fort Ord anumber of times pre its botched cosmetic surgery to cater to cart balling tourists. And the one was with a GCA group.
Bayonet and Black Horse have been botched IMHO.
There is so much better golf on the Peninsula.
I would play Peter Hay before gong up to those cart ball messes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back