News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

May Golf Digest Golf Architects Puzzle
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
The May issue of Golf Digest has a puzzle on the last page as they do every month as of late. This one is a puzzle to figure out the names of golf architects. I will reveal the answers in the next post. So if you want to solve the puzzle on your own, now would be the time to stop reading this thread.

Have you stopped yet.

One last chance!

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

Re: May Golf Digest Golf Architects Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »
The answers include six golden age architects, and six "modern" architects. Given what appears to be their idea of what should be in the list of modern architects, maybe we know why golf seems to be losing popularity.

Golden Age
George Thomas
Seth Raynor
Donald Ross
A. W. Tillinghast
Stanley Thompson
Alister MacKenzie

Not a bad list!

Modern
Greg Norman
Rees Jones
Nick Faldo
Hale Irwin
Tom Fazio
Pete Dye

Well at least they got Pete right. ;)
I guess I am going to have to run out and play a Hale Irwin course. My portfolio has severe holes!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
Garland,

I learned something new today.  I had no idea H.I. designed golf courses. 

I was trying to come up with a H.I. course and I couldn't think of one.  Then I went to his website and had heard of Cordillera and the TPC course, but I had no idea.  You would think that with all the golf I've seen Hale play on tv that the course design thing would have been mentioned and registered with me, but I guess not.  Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
In my copy I fit my name on two rows and Ian's too...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »
In my copy I fit my name on two rows and Ian's too...

Well, at least Jonathan has probably heard of Wolf Point. Of course I knew about it first and played it over 30 years ago. ;)

EDIT: I could have sworn it was Wolf Point CC 30 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the history.
http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=649445
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:11:52 PM by Garland Bayley »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Yeah, that puzzle was too easy.  hale designed a reversible course in Idaho, called teton Reserve.  Anyone played it?

Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
I find it hilarious that they list three pga pros instead of legit guys, and miss the obvious pro whose work matters...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back