News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Re: Cypress Point 8th Hole
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »
Maybe my question was ill-phrased.  What I meant was that it seems like both are great, back-to-back short holes.  I don't see too many courses where this occurs.  Usually a short-one is blanketed by a long, difficult one.  Case in point holes 6 and 7 at Ballyneal. 

It sounds like in each instance both holes are drivable.  Do the holes at CPC run opposite each other like they do at Sand Hills?   
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
It sounds like in each instance both holes are drivable.  Do the holes at CPC run opposite each other like they do at Sand Hills?   

Yes they do

Sean Leary

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »

Yes they do

Sort of. The second shot on 8 runs opposite of 9, as its close to a 90 degree dogleg...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »
Scott,
 8 at BN is also on the shorter side.
The formula you speak of, have you seen that pattern on any great courses? i'm hard pressed to come up with one.

CPC proves to me, length isn't a prerequisite for great holes, or courses. These specific holes mentioned, fit their respective sites eloquently.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Szabo

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
Adam,

Are you referring to back to back short holes or my reference to short, then back breakingling difficult?  If you're referring to the latter, there are too many to count, I'd bet.  Numbers 17 and 18 at Oakmont come to mind.   I'm sure others will too if given a minute.  From what I recall, each short par-four at Ballyneal is blanketed by a monster (6-7, 9-10, 12-13 and 13-14).  But it also has two great short ones in a row as you mentioned (7-8).

One doesn't see too many great back to back short holes anymore, that's the reason for my original comment RE: Sand Hills 7&8 and CPC 8&9?  Would there be any at Merion?  I just think it's cool that you can have two short holes in a row - all too often length is just too much of a consideration nowadays.

Unfortunately I don't get out enough these days so my choices are limited.  Creating a great short par-four is an art, and it's one I'm glad that a few of our better archies nowadays aren't afraid of building.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:56:54 PM by Scott Szabo »
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »
agreeing with Scott, I find short par 4s of great interest, and generally provide the most fun and challenge, and can "fit" a little with how we are playing for the day - feeling good, bold and strong, take driver, feeling hungover - 3 wood, feeling strategic, hit whatever takes you to 100 out and best angel in - they are great - and this one at CPC looks to be a ripper.

Clearly beneficial to hit a fade off the tee with a driver/3 wood and then knock a short iron onto the green and make he putt for birdie - happy days. As KP said, challenges his draw even more - decision and commitment - great tee shots ask this do they not?

Brett

@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back