News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Betts

Re: Lost Farm - Pre-Opening Pictorial
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
He must be the only classy member of the National Golf Club  ;D

Chris Kane

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
He must be the only classy member of the National Golf Club  ;D

Indeed - it must be a lonely existence down there!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
Perhaps understandably, there's been a little discussion about this thread.

I can assure those reading that I have double cheked to ensure that what I'm doing is not contrary to managament's wishes. I totally understand the concern, and also respect that some may think that I am in fact potentially detracting from their experience, when they eventually do play the course.

I genuinely feel I am not. I have witheld many images I could otherwise have posted, which would no doubt spoil several surprises encountered throughout a day at Lost Farm. Indeed, several people I know lifted the lid for me prior to my visiting another new local course recently, spoiling things to a degree.

I have been cognizant of this when compiling the Lost Farm thread. If in doubt I have held back descriptions and images which would be best experienced at the time of play.

If this is not enough for those who feel I may be doing something akin to spilling the beans on the ending of a movie - I ask that you simply ignore the thread.

Back into it.

Hole 6, Par 3

The 6th is a mid-iron one shot hole, longer than the 4th. It runs parallel to the line of approach on the 5th. Prevailing winds play across the hole, from left to right.

The green is not overly deep, yet presents a wide target to those on the tee, bunkered front right. There's lots of short grass around the green.

Mike Keiser commented at this stage of our round that course designs tend to provide a little window into the architect's personality. He relayed that Bill Coore is a pleasant, easy-going, intelligent and generous man. The width afforded around this course, as well as the expanses of short grass around many greens, and the opportunity to recover after a poor shot, reflect this.

The 6th green from short left of the putting surface.

A cool little swale long left of the green, which allows a chip and putt for par after hitting beyond the green, and through the left-to-right wind. The movement in the green, acting as a backstop for tee shots and bunker shots, is appreciated from this view.

Another thoughtfully designed and enjoyable hole.

MM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:26:12 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
Hole 7, Par 4

A mid length 2 shot hole, with a large central hazard (an irregular, natural looking mound covered by rough and native grasses) and flanking bunkers left of the fairway.

Prevailing winds aid the tee shot, but a big drive is needed to clear the central hazard on the fly. Threading a drive down the left side yields a more advantageous angle than those resulting from drives played down the more expansive right fairway segment. The sand blow out right appears closer than it is.

View from the left - an unimpeded view of the green, with a variety of approach shots psosible.

View from the right - the further right the drive is placed, sand obscures some of the green, and plays a greater role in dictating the shot required to find the putting surface, while also increasing the difficulty of approach...

View from behind the central hazard, for those hitting a short tee shot - tough to find the green from here.

The view following a big drive over the central hazard - bold, skillful and accurate play is rewarded.

The large green generally slopes from back to front, but gentle organic movement is seen through the putting surface. Lots of room afforeded around the green, to allow for chipping and errant approach recovery in a variety of forms. The green is framed by two short bunkers left, and a sand blow-out right. The grasses at Lost Farm seem to be the same as those at Barnbougle Dunes - fescue tees, fairways and greens. The consistent colour of fairway and green makes approach play a little more testing at times - a feature I like. The image of 7 green brings out the continuity of colour.

A genuinely strategic hole where several paths to the hole are offerred, each with their pros and cons. Not rocket science at all, yet why don't we see more of this sort of thing today?

An elegant strategic hole, skillfully conceived & executed.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Sabino

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »
Matthew - thanks for posting the pictures. I did a tour with Richard Sattler and he was more than happy to have me take pictures. As Donald Trump says, there is no such thing as bad publicity. As a public course, the more exposure it gets and to the degree there is a "buzz" created by all us golf nuts obsessing about the course before it opens, I would think it is nothing but positive for both Lost Farm and the entire Barnbougle destination.

When we toured the course it was raining so I couldn't get any good pictures of that mound in the fairway on the 7th hole. You've done a great job of capturing the essence of it. It's a really neat hole. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Ash Towe

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »
Matthew,
I am really enjoying your photos.
Barnbougle is so isolated and it takes quite a commitment to get to it.  Your thread is really helping me make up my mind to go.  I can see the point of not looking at this thread and having the wow factor but I would rather have a look and know that my money will be well spent.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 04:15:59 AM »
Ash,
MM's pics as he states above, do not reveal all, and it is a deadset guarantee that you would love the 36. It would be amazing to come back and play both for the first time together - how lucky are you all that have not yet ventured to BD.

6 & 7 I agree, make wonderful follow up holes after the brilliant 3-5 run.

Thanks Matt
@theflatsticker

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »
Hole 8, Par 5

A long three shot hole, with a dune right on the drive. Strong drawing drives can take a little off the right side, but there might not be a need. I suspect the hole is beyond 550yds, and maybe even the world's best golfers may play it as a 3 shot proposition.

The hole arcs gently right, then straightens towards the green. Bunkers are left on the drive, and also left in the second shot landing zone. All the while, the hole traverses some wonderful golfing terrain, rising and falling crumpled ground, adjacent to a dune.

View from the tee

Outcome of a good drive

The green is a neat little platuea, requiring an accurate approach. Left and short of the green, a solitary yet nasty deep trap stands sentinel. It will gather balls from an area far beyind it's floor size. Ground movement short of the green will invariably feed balls towards and into the trap. Long seconds hoping to yield an eagle putt better be long enough!

This view is from the zone of short iron approach

A closer look at the lone bunker left

The green is also guarded by a massive right side bunker, more formal at it's green edge, yet blending into the natural surrounds of the dunes and vegetation tens of metres away. The hazard is well below the level of the green, and will rarely surrender an up and down

So often long 3 shot holes are a slog - this is anything but. Great fun, and lots of choice, depending on the outcome of the drive, the wind, and the type of shot desired for approach.

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »

Hole 9, Par 4

A shorter par 4 to round out the front 9. It loosely returns to the club house / 1st tee / 10th tee.
Playing with the wind from the left, this hole is a driver, short iron proposition.

A two tiered fairway (lower and more roomy left side) plays to a green angled to favor drives accessing the elevated right fairway half.

The ridge dividing the fairway with the green beyond

Another good green, gently angled so as to reward the driver finding the right half of the fairway, as seen above. A good way to round out the first nine holes. A question or two on the tee, with reward for good placement, yet lots of room. Plenty of short grass about the green. Fun hole.

MM
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:18:59 AM by Matthew Mollica »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »
Hope 10, Par 5

The start of the second nine ventures away from the coast a little, with a dog leg left three shot hole. It would take a big helping wind or two mighty hits to reach the green in two.

A wonderful view from the tee

A big drive will give this result

The left bunker in the distance looks greenside, yet it isn't. Acres of room are grassed around this green. Short, long and especially right. Those playing the hole as a regulation 3 shotter will have the best angle of approach after going well right with their second.

Hug the left side with the second shot and you see this

Go right and you see THIS

A better angle, and better appreciation for the distance between bunker and green.

Several greens (and this is one such example), have lots of short grass around them, which makes an aggressive shot to the green inviting - an errant yet long shot is easily found, yet the resultant pitch back to the green is very tough. Even sand wedge or lob wedge from pin high right of this green is a tough shot with some pins.

A beautiful little greensite, with low profile undulations encompassing the green. A series of old native coastal banksia trees are left and right of the putting surface. This view looking back down the fairway

MM

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 02:54:05 PM »
Just a heads up for anyone who is relatively new to the site: Matthew did an outstanding review of Barnbougle Dunes:

Barnbougle Dunes Golf Links, Tasmania, Australia: A Review

Thanks again for the pix, hope we can meet someday. I owe you many beers for keeping my spirits up. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
We'll meet up someday George. I'm looking fwd to it :)

Hole 11, Par 4

A long par 4, with the tee played to a rise, over a large hazard. The fairway beyond is receptive, with a solitary right side bunker partially sighted from the tee. Not all of the landing zone is visible either. The prevailing wind is from the right, and temps one to load up with a big draw on the tee. The drive looks like this -

A long second - hybrid or 3 wood for many, is played to an enormous green, sloped from back to front, with oodles of space around the putting surface.

Closer look at the green

I really liked this hole - a good drive, a hint of blindness, and a green complex in keeping with the length of the hole. A good par 4.5.

This green and the 12th tee are the furthest points from the coast for Lost Farm. The road connecting the Barnbougle clubhouse and entrance to Lost Farm continues East beyond the Poplar trees behind the 11th green. Unlike 2 at Barny Dunes, there's still the distinct dunal landscape and accompanying vegetation. And the ever active ball-stealing crows, which were an early feature of rounds at Barnbougle. Mental note - pack the Beretta & shells when next going to Bridport...

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
Hole 12, Par 5

The final par 5 of the round - although with a big wind and 16 playing right into it, 3 shots might be needed to get to that green.

This segment of the property is the flattest, and the fairway which appears least ready at this time.

A large bunker sits on the left for the drive, and skirting this hazard shortens the hole appreciably.

Again - masses of short grass lay in wait for the poor drive - this fairway might be 100yds wide. Several of Coore's par 5s at Lost Farm bend slightly at their outset, then straighten into the green. They reward a good drive, offer choice on line of attack, and still see the poor driver in the game - as long as he can hit a good second and third. Drives grabbed by the wind will suffer, but I suspect they will not be lost often.

A good drive gives this result

Coore asks questions on the second shot with each of his par 5s - these relate to line and club selection.  How best to approach the green? Do I want a level lie? What spot will give the best look at the flag? How will I tackle the hazard between me and the green complex? All good stuff...

In the case of the 12th, a left side fairway bunker and larger central hazard lay in wait for the second shot.

A wedge is all that's needed from here - 2 lusty blows will see a shorter shot, with better visibility of the target. The green's low profile and understated.

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 07:07:59 AM »
Hole 13, Par 4

Prevalent Westerly winds hurt the drive and push them to the right, while approaches are directed straight into the wind. The fairway is again massively wide. Large natural dunes contain the hole left and right. This is the view from the tee. A glimpse of the green implores one to hug the left side of the hole - but there's all that room right!

Once safely in the fairway, a mid to long iron approach is required.

And this-

has become THIS-

A closer look at the green complex-

Enough said really. A gloriously natural golf hole.

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 08:23:12 AM »
Hole 14, Par 4

A short par 4, in a fantastic setting.

What was this

has been turned into this

The deep and tiered rectangular green is tucked to the right. There's a hazard on the direct line between tee and green, and immediately right of that, a large dune. Prevailing winds will be headwinds coming from the left quarter.

Accept the challenge on the tee, fly the hazard, and a simple pitch is played up the length of the green. Lots of space left off the tee, but you guessed it, the further left the drive is placed, the tougher the pitch, and the less green with which to work. The greenside bunker also comes into play with this shot. To further complicate matters, stance can be awkward, and prevailing winds will act across a lofted pitch.

There must be 80 yards of fairway to the left. This hole is eminently playable and reachable in regulation, even with a 6 club headwind, although it's function obviously changes. In still conditions, it would be a thrilling challenge. I can't wait to go back and try to drive this green.

Looking from the rear of the green, the line of instinct is seen, with the tee in the distance. The green contours are also more apparent.

Reachable in even a one club headwind, this is another great short four. Hard to imagine a 36 hole complex anywhere with short 4s beyond the calibre of 3 and 14 at Lost Farm, coupled with 4 and 12 at Barnbougle Dunes.

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Hole 15, Par 3

The view from the teeing ground prior to construction -

And now -

A long par 3 played with hurting winds the norm. The green's sighted in a beautiful little bowl - another example of great green site selection. A long iron or hybrid may be required. With the winds lashing at the elevated tee, it's best to take something which produces a long, low ball flight. Green contours are fun and will be challenging for those who end up above the hole. Even at predicted stimps around 9, as seen next door. Many will elect to play safe, bump something down to the green front, and take a risk-free four.

Lots of space around this green, and plenty of options after missing the green - the penalty for such a miss is also not overly severe.

Another enjoyable, well thought out, beautiful hole, which feels right at home at this point of the routing. It is of grand appearance, and aids in building a crescendo as the round reaches it's end.

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 03:30:51 PM »
Hole 16, Par 4

A longish par 4, with the tee slightly above the level of the fairway. The tee is banked into the foot of the dune on which the clubhouse will sit.

There's open fairway on the right for the risk free drive. Could the fairway width (at a range prior to the large left hazard) measure 100 yards left to right margins? An imposing hazard sits to the left, and if tackled and cleared, sets up a great angle of approach. The hazard is a big carry however, and the marram around the hazard will swallow balls not on the bunker floor.

Drive right and see this -

Drive left and see this -

Big difference. The fact that Coore & his construction team can create fairway bunkering of great natural aesthetics, capable of creating visual impairment for those on the 'wrong' side of the seemingly flat fairway is a skill repeated throughout the round. Often a missed detail, this must be a great skill, involving ground movement study, routing and build, and should not be taken for granted.

The green is another low-profile number, flowing seamlessly from the fairway. It's certainly possible to find it with a great second shot, after an ordinary drive to the right. It does however favor approaches played following aggressive drives. The task of visualising the green, and getting a good fix on yardage when approaching from the right is much tougher.

After being lulled into driving on a line right (and directly at the green in the distance), smart golfers will be unlikely to make the same mistake next time around. With the short grass short of the hazard left, some may elect to play the hole as a three shot proposition into strong winds, driving short of the left trap, then carrying it with the second, pitching and putting for 4 or 5.

An enjoyable, playable hole, with clear inherent strategy. It's sound and again well constructed. A tough hole into the wind, demanding a great drive if the wind is up. A test coming home with only several holes left to play.

MM

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 03:47:14 AM »
No 13a, Matthew?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »
MM,
Feb/March just gone they were talking October, do you have any sense of why they are now talking about December?

Turf covereage looks pretty good, apart from lowland section on 1,2,7,16.??

A heap of work loading all these pics and descriptions - thanks again.
Cheers
Brett
@theflatsticker

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »
You're welcome Brett. Glad you are enjoying the images.
I think it's safer to aim for Decmber, and present the course in really great shape, after good growth in October / November.
There's no prize for opening early.

Hole 17, Par 3

A longish ( maybe 190 yards? ), uphill par 3, with prevailing winds into and from the left. Again - another imposing view from the tee, with lots of marram grass lying between tee and green. It's all lost ball stuff.

There is however more room around the green than there appears from the tee. The central bunker can be skirted by an accurate shot, and sits far enough back from the putting surface so as to ensure that the tee shot is not an "all-carry" demand. Still, I'd like to see a little more fairway grass between tee and green.

If found, the central bunker short of the green will ask for a good shot if a simple par putt is to be had.

Another natural looking green. There isn't a bad one out there. Some are flattish and somewhat old-school, almost geometric. Some are large and cascading. They are integrated beautifully wih their surrounds, and some grensites are joys to look at.

This shot will demand a solidly struck long iron or possibly wood, depending upon wind strength and ability. The 17th should be a shot swinger in my mind, and this hole certainly fits that description, as other long par 3s do at Troon, Pebble Beach, and locally, National Moonah.

MM

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
Hole 18, Par 4

Certainly a candidate for the best finishing hole in Australian golf. The drive is played with the aid of the westerly wind, from an elevated tee. The scene is quite breathtaking, with the shore to the left, and a large dune between beach and fairway. The sandy area short left is a good target line off the tee.

Approaches will invariably be best made from the left half of the fairway. A small rise in the fairway partially obscures some of the green on approach from the right. A mid iron approach to a generously sized green set up like this -

A closer look at the green

A small slope feeds into the left of the green, and looks like it can be employed to get close to a front left pin.

Looking back to the tee

An elevated view of the hole.

MM

Ash Towe

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Matthew,

Thanks for the great photo tour.  Clearly there are some wonderful holes at Lost Farm.

How did the course flow for you.  There are periods in the dunes then others on more flat land.  Did these changes enhance the experience or could more time have been spent in the dunes for example.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
Ash,

As you can see from the images, the course is fun, as wide as anything, and different to it's brother. They are quite complimentary.

Lost Farm's routing provides many crosswind holes, and the course comprises sound design on the flatter segments of land. I think the routing shows creativity and bravery, with Bill electing to encompass some of the flatter terrain with the two starting holes, and venture to less inspiring terrain again early in the back 9. His design skill carries the golf course through this admirably.

There's a number of high quality holes. Some obvious stand outs like 3,4,5 and 14 for example, yet holes like 1, 7 and 16 really define Lost Farm for me. They are playable, elegantly strategic and provide chllenge and enjoyment for a variety of golfing abilities. Abiding by classic principles, they are largely bereft of the dramatic dunes which we associate with some of the holes on Lost Farm, and many on Barnbougle Dunes. They are of high quality.

The features of the course I realy enjoyed were the greensites, and the routing's ability to employ prevailing winds from a broad range of angles relative to playing lines. So many holes look thrilling and intimidating. There's so much room around the greens, and miles of fairway width, which increases scope in angles of play, and playability. Mind you - the mowing crew will finish at one end, and start again at the other...

MM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:29:51 PM by Matthew Mollica »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
Looks sick...I gotta get there....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ash Towe

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
Matthew,

Thanks for your reply and detailed explanation.

I hope to get there at some stage.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back