News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Re: National Memberships
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 11:37:48 PM »
Did anyone mention Prairie Club yet?

Two courses plus the Horse with a third full 18 on the way - I know it is semi-private but with that many courses I would imagine it'll be pretty easy to cruise around 36+ a day.

I think they are going to have one private per day, and one open to the public, with courses rotating each day (but with Horse open to all).

Not the easiest place to get to though (if I recall).

If I lived on the east coast I would be all over the Deal deal or Lahinch - loved my one round on Lahinch about 10 years ago - great craic!

hick

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
The Holston hills out of town membership is a great deal. I could leave Newport and fly from providence and arrive in Knoxville at 10:30  and have a full day of golf. Just not sure if the patriots attire would fly, but I guess i could wear my Jerod Mayo jersey in order to represent Rocky Top. How is the winter in knoxville?

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »
The best deal I know of anywhere for Overseas Membership is at Westward Ho!  £168 a year - no joining fee.

I have been very happy at Pennard for last ten years.  They don't do overseas membership, but I thing they allow overseas members as country members.  I don't think there is a joining fee and its £265 a year. 

There must be tons of great deals around the country. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:14:54 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Domburgh, Winterfield, Alnmouth, Old Barnwell

Tom Birkert

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:01 AM »
There are some great deals available in the UK, and a lot of clubs are actively encouraging overseas applications, as it really is almost free money.

Golf in general is more affordable over here.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:08 AM »
Really, in my opinion, the Bandon Complex is my "national membership".  No initiation fees and it's among the best golf on the planet.

No, I can't afford it more than every 3-4 years, but that's OK - it's great golf and a huge treat!

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:24 AM »
Ditto on Wolf Run, especially if you are in Dayton. Unbelievable bargain.

C. Squier

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
Ditto on Wolf Run, especially if you are in Dayton. Unbelievable bargain.

As a national member from the Chicago area, I can third that.  I don't get down nearly enough, but that's my fault, not the 2.5 hour drive.

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
Mike
I am the GM/Head Professional at Hidden Creek Golf Club and I believe we may have one of the most affordable and attractive National Memberships in the US.  Prior to Dec 1 it was a $25,000 refundable deposit and $4,200 annual dues, but economic conditions being what they are along with regional over-saturation of golf, on Dec 1 we lowered our Refundable Deposit Rates for what we hope will be a temporary period.  Today to join is now $9,000 refundable.  If you are interested you can pm me and I can send you more details.  For more info on the club you can go to the website at www.hiddencreekclub.com

Thanks.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
There is a non stop from Houston to Detroit a mere hour from Inverness. Westward Ho is not what we call close to much of anything. How long a drive from Healthrow? However that is a good deal if one has a holiday home within an hour of there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:09:30 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Mike H

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
What is Wolf Run offering?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »
It will be interestng to see how the current changes in lifestyle associated with economic changes worldwide will impact the overseas Memberships. I find myself in discussions with the 3 to 5 club membership crowd who often have more than two homes as well. It seems most are saying that two clubs and two homes are plenty. It also seems the clubs which had a majority of its members being peoples 3rd,4th or 5th club are hurting the most right now. We had several discussions about that in Scottsdale a few weeks back. There are a number of high profile quality clubs there having to deal with significant budget issues. Also more than want to admit it have more peope trying to get out than get in. The facts are a bit different in the UK but my guess is once you leave the open rotation courses the number of international members is way down and the cash flow that goes with it is as well. I would think even Deal which is very reasonable and fairly close to Gatwich and Heathrow is even feeling it a little. Deal is more of a golfers club. I am very curious how the more corporate entertainment driven projects in Ireland and Scotland are doing.

Sean Leary

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 11:11:45 AM »
You have to love a site where showing up for a round of golf and a solid hour in the proshop buying like crazy is not limited to Sean or say 30 or 40 of us. Dan, I must confess to be put off by the ego of a man who puts his name on everything while doing most of the projects with other peoples money. Yes, You did pick the best of trumpdom golf and well free is free. You still have to find a way to hide the bag tag and get theropy weekly for the self esteem hit of being associated with a man who has sunk to reality tv to stay in the public eye. I personally love my non resident club Memberships. Yet, that said the per round cost is very high.

Tiger,

Let me know when you need to borrow my plane again.

Cost is all relative folks. It either needs to make sense because you will get there a lot, or if you don't, it doesn't "hurt" financially. Regardless, you should love being there when you get there.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
Has anyone heard of the nonresident option at the Olympic Club? I would be interested in any info available-my wife and I enjoy heading to SF for vacation and trips up to Napa.     Feel free to PM me if you prefer not to divulge anything publicly,  Thanks,  Jack

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
Tiger I'm pleased to say I've already signed up 4 overseas GCA'ers to Deal in 2010 and this topic has also elicited a pending application from a gentleman of great style, panash and golfing ability.

I too wonder how the £25k + annual subs modern courses are getting on. Coming all this way to play a modern offering is like visiting Gleneagles purely to play the Ryder Cup course.

I am sad to report today seeing a US member at the club in sneakers with no clubs or shoes and looking slightly harrassed.....members were seen choking in their pink gins! The said member Noel Freeman is stuck in the UK due to the ash and cannot get home to his wife and children, he is hoping to get a flight to NYC tomorrow. If the delay is any longer he'll have to purchase a stripey jacket!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:16:57 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »
Mark,

I hope you're not claiming John Lyon as one of your sign-ups. Claiming my one and only sign-up? You bitch...

If anyone is wondering about the enjoyment level of the spring meeting at Deal, ask John - who arrived on Good Friday in his golf gear and with a jacket and tie for dinner with all good intentions of being on the 10pm train back to London and ended up returning home on Sunday night! ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
Scott - I hadn't counted John or the other two Brits I've assisted so far in 2010.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
Farkin 'ell. You're prolific!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
Sean your private wings make life better for one and all. Mark I am pleased to see your recruiting drive is going well. I doubt every club in the UK has someone with your promotional skills. I do hope Deal is plus for the last 12 months. I certainly do not know but you might. Last summer a few Members indicated they were concerned like all clubs are right now. Littlestones play is down and I heard Rye was too. No word on RSG though.

Mike H

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
Iam

I dont get out to Jersey much but how is Hidden Creek ranked?  I have never heard about it until this post and after looking at the website I am very interested in hearing more. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
Mike, Hidden Creek is an excellent Coore/Crenshaw course.  The routing is brilliant. The bunkering is excellent, the greens are interesting, and the course is fun.    It is a course you just do not tire of playing.  I believe that it made GOLF's top 100 once. There has been discussion about this course previously on this site.  Try the search engine and see what you come up with.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
Mike
Tommy is correct, we did make the GOLF Top-100 list before, back in 2003 or 2004 I believe coming in at #72.  We have also been honored to have been included on the Golfweek Top-100 Modern list every year since 2003, this year coming in at #71 in the US.

I did not really mean for this to be a plug for the club, just responding to your question, so if you need any info don't hesitate to reach me directly at the club.  Cheers.

Ian

Mike H

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
Does anyone have any kind of information on the Outpost Club?  I would be interested in knowing which courses are able to be played.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:20:44 AM by Bill Brightly »

Paul Carey

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »
Thanks Bill,

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:42:11 AM by Paul Carey »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
The current market has an unlimited number of these memberships at very good clubs. It is up to the individual to figure out what club or clubs for some of us, is best for him. I do not think any deal is good, no matter how attractive on paper, if not used.

It is a serious mistake to ever calculate the cost per round of a non-resident membership.   :-X

Signed,
Former member of a really good club in Portland, Oregon.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back