News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CJ Carder

Re: National Memberships
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
While it probably doesn't meet any of the qualifications you listed (good deal and nationally recognized club), I can't believe no one has mentioned Ballyneal.  The $60-$70k initiation fee is no doubt quite high from the "good deal" aspect, but I challenge anyone to say it's not worthy of being a top course.  I could certainly play it forever.

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
Stated initiation for Ballyneal is a bit high.  Contact me via IM if you have serious interest.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »
While it probably doesn't meet any of the qualifications you listed (good deal and nationally recognized club), I can't believe no one has mentioned Ballyneal.  The $60-$70k initiation fee is no doubt quite high from the "good deal" aspect, but I challenge anyone to say it's not worthy of being a top course.  I could certainly play it forever.

If my wife and I hadn't moved from Denver this past November, I would have found any possible way (financially) to become a member out there.  I played for 2 days in September and fell in love.  I just can't justify it living in SC though...too costly for me for only a trip or two a year.  If I was still living in Denver, I bet I would make the drive every weekend!  It's THAT good.........

Mike H

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:59 PM »
I would really be interested if any of the top courses in Columbus have decent non resident or national membership rates.  I checked with Muirfield Village last year and they were looking for members but do not have those membership categories.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
For what you're willing to spend....what about Canton Brookside??  It's not too far and the course is simply outstanding. 

PM me if you want the membership info.  I have it saved in an old email.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
Mike...

I've talked with Muirfield Village...I think they just have a straight $75k memberhsip fee, no seperate category for national members...I am not 100% on that but pretty confident.

On Inverness...good news/bad news.  Good news is that the course is great with great history and the club is very nice as well.  Bad news...since I haven't joined yet, you are required to take me at least once a year for a 36 hole day at a minimum should you join (FYI, this is in the fine print of the contract, you may have overlooked it!  :))

Have fun!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »
Scott asks an interesting question, at Deal we charge around $500pa or $10k for life membership with no other fees.

Taking a long weekend in May and a long weekend in September will cost around $750 return from JFK and $900 from Chicago.
So thats $2000pa from NY for 2 long weekends and $2300 from Chicago, not cheap but I'm sure that compares very favourably with Bandon or Sand Hills or Ballyneal when you add the cost of getting there. The fringe benefits are access to worldwide reciprocal clubs and a network of other US based members. The main benefit is obviously a fix of championship quality links golf!

I'm sure alot of good UK links courses can be joined for similar sums.
Cave Nil Vino

J Sadowsky

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »
Scott asks an interesting question, at Deal we charge around $500pa or $10k for life membership with no other fees.

Taking a long weekend in May and a long weekend in September will cost around $750 return from JFK and $900 from Chicago.
So thats $2000pa from NY for 2 long weekends and $2300 from Chicago, not cheap but I'm sure that compares very favourably with Bandon or Sand Hills or Ballyneal when you add the cost of getting there. The fringe benefits are access to worldwide reciprocal clubs and a network of other US based members. The main benefit is obviously a fix of championship quality links golf!

::Sigh::.  Does anyone really have to further question whether being a golfer in the US or the UK is better?  Drat.

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
Mark makes a very good point - Deal is a great deal for an overseas member, especially when you combine the great course with its proximity to Heathrow/Gatwick.

Lahinch has a similar option in that Overseas Life Membership runs at around €10K and when you consider that there is a direct flights from JFK to Shannon (~6 hours) and it is possible to make the 1st tee an hour after you land... it even makes it easier to get to that some of the more remote US clubs.

Anyone interested, feel free to PM or e-mail me. One member on this board has already joined Lahinch & I am pretty sure he enjoys it!

Tony Weiler

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »
Mike, you mentioned midwest, so look at Hazeltine Nat'l in Mpls.  I think their national membership rate was fairly reasonable. 

CJ Carder

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

::Sigh::.  Does anyone really have to further question whether being a golfer in the US or the UK is better?  Drat.

Agreed - I recall Dornoch being a phenomenal deal as well.  Have also heard good things about the national membership at other places like Doonbeg and several other Irish clubs.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »
I was at Inverness last fall and I thought the pro said the national category was as low as a few Gs up front. No direct flights from Houston though. My wife has also seen too many monthly bills akin to a Maserati payment at the home club to green light that for me.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
This is only tangentially related to the thread but a client of mine used to be the treasurer of Prairie Dunes.  He told me they loved their national members because they showed in private jets; lavishly tipped everyone in sight; emptied out the pro shop; and left.

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 05:04:56 PM »
Another one falls for the deal at Deal...

Tim Martin

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
Although not top 100 The Orchards in South Hadley Mass has an extremely reasonable out of town membership. Donald Ross course that has hosted a USGA Junior, U S Womens Open, Mass State Am and some other high level events. If its the same deal as a couple of years ago when a membership drive was taking place it is great deal.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
This is only tangentially related to the thread but a client of mine used to be the treasurer of Prairie Dunes.  He told me they loved their national members because they showed in private jets; lavishly tipped everyone in sight; emptied out the pro shop; and left.

Hey, that sounds just like the PD national member I know well!!! ;D ;D ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
This is only tangentially related to the thread but a client of mine used to be the treasurer of Prairie Dunes.  He told me they loved their national members because they showed in private jets; lavishly tipped everyone in sight; emptied out the pro shop; and left.

Complete exaggeration. My plane is actually just a Cessna....

Sean Leary

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
This is only tangentially related to the thread but a client of mine used to be the treasurer of Prairie Dunes.  He told me they loved their national members because they showed in private jets; lavishly tipped everyone in sight; emptied out the pro shop; and left.

Hey, that sounds just like the PD national member I know well!!! ;D ;D ;D

Peter,

You beat me to it. ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:27:33 PM by Sean Leary »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »
Definately not a Brit we cannot fly anywhere at the moment!!

Imagine arriving at Heathrow yesterday for your flight to Philly, San Fransico or Atlanta for the once in a lifetime trip to a world top 10 only to find your flight canx.
Cave Nil Vino

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »
I really think there's a BIG untapped market for a second club type of deal.  Something about 100 miles from home, good rates, and maybe 5-10 rounds per year.

Tiger - I'd be proud to join Trump's course in Bedminster NJ.  Thinking about it, I'd be more than happy to be accepted as a member at any Trump course for free.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:47:06 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »

The best one I heard of was at Canterbury.........   something like 5 grand to join which gives you  20 rounds a year.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
Wayne,
Where did you hear about the deal at Canterbury? Do you know if it is still open?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2010, 09:27:42 PM »
You have to love a site where showing up for a round of golf and a solid hour in the proshop buying like crazy is not limited to Sean or say 30 or 40 of us. Dan, I must confess to be put off by the ego of a man who puts his name on everything while doing most of the projects with other peoples money. Yes, You did pick the best of trumpdom golf and well free is free. You still have to find a way to hide the bag tag and get theropy weekly for the self esteem hit of being associated with a man who has sunk to reality tv to stay in the public eye. I personally love my non resident club Memberships. Yet, that said the per round cost is very high.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
The current market has an unlimited number of these memberships at very good clubs. It is up to the individual to figure out what club or clubs for some of us, is best for him. I do not think any deal is good, no matter how attractive on paper, if not used.

john_stiles

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
In southern US, from metro areas of Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, and rocky top Knoxville,   I think  Lookout Mountain GC offers interesting national/non-resident membership.

Was always enticed by  Mountain Lake as well when they had a push 3 or 4 years ago,  but that was a bit too far for me, and required (or maybe still requires) stay at Colony.  The course is very very good.  Did I say the course is a blast  to play.

The problem is as Tiger states,  you have to find one that you will use  unless you don't mind paying and not playing.  Having to fly or travel most  of the day doesn't work for me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back