News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: What makes golf fun?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »
Yeah, suicidal chipmunks are always tragic......

Maybe they weren't served by the time we played, although we played a few weeks before opening, so there probably wasn't any food at all on our first round.....

It was just so funny at grand opening, because they were featuring MN products on every hole.  We got to the snack bar and the vendor was so excited to see Pawlenty.  He begins his pitch by saying that its a real problem at outdoor parties to have both round and hot dog buns for burgers and dogs, and he has the perfect solution, the coiled brat!  Then he pulls back the top bun to show the guv the sandwhich, and it did look like a flaming pile of poop.

Politically inclined as always, the guv said he wasn't hungry, and that it seemed like a fine idea, but there may be "some presentation problems" with the product.  I had to hold back blurting out what I though!  I don't know if the vendor got it, but after we drove away, we couldn't help but giggle.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
Seve Ballesteros, in a 2000 Golf Digest interview:

Q:  What do you miss most?
A:  The pressure.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Id say Wind makes golf less fun for most. Still conditions are preferred, people relate fun to doing well and thats easier to do in easy conditions. I think holes that flatter are good so a 480 yard downhill par 5 where you hit it in two and make an eagle is enough to recharge a golfers funometer for month.
Good company can hep you get over playing badly, playing a new course too can be fun. Competitive golf and golf at the higher levels is less fun, 16 handicappers tend to enjoy golf more than 4 handicappers.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
1. Chicks dig golfers.

2. The great clothes we get to wear.

Ben Sims

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »
Ooh, I know this one.

It's fun because of one thing.  Interaction with things that bring us joy.  How do you explain joy?  You can't and don't even try.  But the pat on the back from a good friend after a well struck shot in a beautiful place is just about as good as it gets.  Does it even need explaining?

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »
Sub 4 hour rounds, rinse, repeat
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
1. Chicks dig golfers.

2. The great clothes we get to wear.

Are we related?

Anthony

Mac Plumart

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
Ben...this is money..."Interaction with things that bring us joy".

NICE!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 11:50:07 AM »

Alligators?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »
The two times I've seen an aligator on a golf course definately added to my enjoyment of the round.  I find it to be some of the more quirky architectural features that a designer can choose to highlight.  :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
All good reasons why we love golf.  I'd add 'Anticipation' to the mix.  I'll never forget those 10 hr rides in the back of a station wagon with my sisters on our way to Disney World.   Nowadays the same rush is found leading up to golf trips with the likes of you guys!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
All good reasons why we love golf.  I'd add 'Anticipation' to the mix.  I'll never forget those 10 hr rides in the back of a station wagon with my sisters on our way to Disney World.   Nowadays the same rush is found leading up to golf trips with the likes of you guys!

Agree. I've spent many hours in Eric's car and that added to the golf experience greatly. Even Kavanaugh was slightly hospitable in the car once. Who new DQ had a dance floor?

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »

Anthony

The way we dress in Scotland, of course the ‘Chicks’ dig us – we are ready and swinging

The R&A Golfer

Also the more natural event, totally Scottish, we throw the player not our clubs - after all the clubs cost money >:(  One point worth noting, no balls or spectators have been hurt or damaged whole ‘tossing off’ the Scotsman ;) ;D ;D :P  only a few exhausted Ladies perhaps – I leave that interesting picture in your mind  :o :o, right Ladies.

Sorry, are we talking about Golf or having fun?

Melvyn

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
Cups painted white

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »
  Melvyn.

I have a kilt by the way. But can't tell the front from the back because it does not have a zipper.

Anthony

Michael Taylor

Re: What makes golf fun? New
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
EVERYTHING. There is no single thing in golf that isn't fun.

The competition.
The pressure.
The one in a million shot that comes off.
The partners.
The food.
The variety in each game.

Golf is a great game..

Pup
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:53:33 AM by Michael Taylor »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »
The nature of a man  VS  the nature of the land

Mike McGuire

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
..... combine a firm undulating course with some wind and a good match.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
Easy for you to say, Hancock, since your 3 wood to the Par 5 at the Mines I listed yesterday as the greatest golf shot I've ever seen.
Sure - everything's fun, everything's peach-fuzz. Try hacking it around a course like I do for 4 hours and see how much you'd have. I'd be a fun-loving and loveable Joe Hancock too if I could regularly break 80 without breaking a sweat...
Peter

All my joy stems from the company I keep.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »

Joe

Are you a lonely man who enjoys playing golf alone ;)

Melvyn

Joe Hancock

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
Melvyn,

You have an uncanny grasp of the obvious.

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

Joe

I believe that comes from my American blood line, its uncanny 8)

Melvyn

Warwick Loton

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »
Most fun golfing experience: Ambrose round at the end of a visit to Barnbougle. Some of our gathering had already departed but the final 8 of us formed two teams. Much comaraderie; much competitiveness between the teams; no-one too fussed by a poor shot; everyone in team excited by a good shot; worked with golfers of varying standards. Magic ingrediant: Doakism eg having 4 tries to putt up a bank and then have it back roll down the bank at a different angle, as the only possible way to get near the hole...

Perennial least fun aspect of golf: searching for balls.
Ultimate irritation: group of 4 all searching for a ball which finished within a yard of the fairway, and this happening on a Mackenzie course.

John Kirk

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
Watching the ball react.

That's right, Mike.  For the ball, golf is a Zen sport.  It simply reacts.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 01:35:21 PM »
And the amount of time it takes to finish reacting is key. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back