News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Mickelson v Norman
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:25 PM »
A few points . . .

Yes, Faldo was fortunate to beat Hoch in the Masters playoff, but Faldo shot 65 in the last round to get into the playoff so his win wasn't purely lucky. 

I have to take issue with the statement (made by Joel Stewart, I believe) that Phil Mickelson has more game than Norman could ever think of.  That's crazy talk.  Phil's 4 majors obviously trump Greg's 2, but I'm among those that put more value in the Open Championship than in the Masters or certainly the PGA.  Norman had/has plenty of game.  He was probably one of, if not the best, driver ever, easily surpassing Mickelson in that category.  And, despite what he did at Cypress Point on one day, he was one of the best chippers of the ball--his touch on the links was tremendous. 

I was a Faldo supporter back in the day so never rooted for Norman.  Norman was so good there were times when you wondered how he could possibly lose.  It wasn't Norman's game that let him down--it had more to do with poor thinking, some un-clutch moments and a healthy dose of bad luck. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
It used to seem to me that rooting for Faldo was like rooting for the IRS.

Norman was my favorite player for a long time and it kills me he didn't win a Masters. But Mickelson gets the nod from me and I have never really been a fan of his.

David_Elvins

« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
One wonders if Norman would be better regarded if the KKK and European Aryan groups didn't claim ownership of him after he became the Great White Shark.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:06:31 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2010, 12:34:21 AM »
"It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get."

Ben Hogan

Gareth Williams

« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »

Ben Hogan

Wasn't it Gary Player who said that?

Leo Barber

« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »

Ben Hogan

Yes

Gareth Williams

« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »

Ben Hogan

Yes

mmm, thought so..

Matt_Ward

« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »
Bottom line on Lefty -- he needs to win either of the two Opens to really move up the ladder.

People can play the elementary who has more majors than the next guy routine until the cows come home but what majors you win matters. They are not all equal to one another and those who see it that way should really think it through a bit more.

Norman should have had 2-3 majors more than he has -- but woulda / coulda / shoulda / is what built Las Vegas.

Nonetheless, Lefty has no record whatsoever in The Open and he's invented just about every way you can blow a US Open.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
One wonders if Norman would be better regarded if the KKK and European Aryan groups didn't claim ownership of him after he became the Great White Shark.  

Alright I asked about the right wing media thing, and while I do not entirely agree with your analysis, I will let it pass.  

But linking his standing as a golfer to the KKK and Aryan groups?  Are you serious?  I have closely followed this great game for over 30 years.  My academic career is in politics.  I have never heard anything that has these fringe groups claiming Norman, and if they have done so, the vast, vast majority of golf fans would have no idea about it.

Frankly, I find your idea bizarre.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

JESII

« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »
Hooked one David...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »
I remember Norman taking apart the Blue Monster one year. Never saw anyone play a more impressive and complete round of golf (maybe Davis Love when he won The Players in the rain).  On the other hand, rarely have I seen such a poor shot from a great player as his approach to 18 at Augusta in '86.  Strange thing about Norman to me - that someone who could drive a golf ball so remarkably well seemed to have trouble with his long irons (at least when it counted most). On the the hand (2), I remember thinking that his touch around and on the greens as just lovely and natural looking - it seemed totally by feel, nothing mechanical. Ah, Greg - look up "Player" in the dictionary and there's his picture. I go easy on his failings - I have a soft spot for head-cases...

Dale Jackson

« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
Hooked one David...

Perhaps -  it did occur to me that this was some type of troll.  But April 1 is past and I am in bed with a nasty cold, do I beg some understanding!
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »
I thought the Hogan quote came from his response to a question from a reporter at the Masters. The question went along the lines of how lucky Hogan was getting out there, and how he felt about it.  He then gave that response.
"
I could be wrong, that quote popped into my head after reading all this nonesense about "luck" and right wing sports media somehow misguiding the truth about winners.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
My impression is the quote also appeared in the Hogan biography.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Gareth Williams

« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2010, 06:12:13 AM »
I remember Norman taking apart the Blue Monster one year. Never saw anyone play a more impressive and complete round of golf (maybe Davis Love when he won The Players in the rain).  On the other hand, rarely have I seen such a poor shot from a great player as his approach to 18 at Augusta in '86.  Strange thing about Norman to me - that someone who could drive a golf ball so remarkably well seemed to have trouble with his long irons (at least when it counted most). On the the hand (2), I remember thinking that his touch around and on the greens as just lovely and natural looking - it seemed totally by feel, nothing mechanical. Ah, Greg - look up "Player" in the dictionary and there's his picture. I go easy on his failings - I have a soft spot for head-cases...

Good point about Norman and his lovely touch around the green.

At the Senior Open at Sunningdale Old last year we watched Norman play an exquisite shot to recover par on the 11th. His drive put him in the right place on the fairway (short and to the left of the green) but his chip shot went past the pin cut on the back and onto the gravel path just over the green. He faced a 15-18 foot shot from the gravel path up the (approx) 3/4 foot high raised green and with the requirement to have the ball stopping just as it crested the green to be near to the pin.

He took a 3 wood and choked down on the grip and played a half putt/half chip from the path. Took a lovely roll up onto the green and stopped a foot from the hole. Showed great imagination and touch from a very tricky spot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back