News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Your turn.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

Sand dunes

Deer on the fairways

The Pacific Ocean

Greatest short par 4s

The Pacific Ocean

Hitting over the hedge at #1

Scratching your head on the 18th tee

The Pacific Ocean

(Standard disclaimer - I have never stepped foot on the hallowed grounds of the ANGC   :'( )

Garland Bayley

That's even more than 10
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

Garland, I see it this way using Ran's long-discarded and rightly criticized match play format:

1. Augusta 1up
2. Augusta 1 up
3. Augusta 2 up
4. Augusta 3 up
5. Augusta 4 up
6. Augusta 3 up
7. Augusta 3 up
8. Augusta 4 up
9. Augusta 3 up
10. Augusta 4 up
11. Augusta 5 up
12. Augusta 6 up
13. Augusta 7 up
14. Augusta 7 up
15. Augusta 6 up
16. Augusta 5 up
17. Augusta 4 up
18. Augusta 5 up

Your take using this method?

Mike

Bill_McBride

Watching the tournament yesterday, I was again bemused and put off by the regular circular or oval smooth-edged shapes the bunkers have become.  I much prefer the more natural if raggedy shaped bunkering at Cypress Point, and much prefer the dunes to the pine straw strewn look of Augusta.

But that's just me...........

Sean Leary

Watching the tournament yesterday, I was again bemused and put off by the regular circular or oval smooth-edged shapes the bunkers have become.  I much prefer the more natural if raggedy shaped bunkering at Cypress Point, and much prefer the dunes to the pine straw strewn look of Augusta.

I always knew you were a bunker slut at heart.  ;)

Adam Clayman

Michael, How are you ever going to get around the blatant observation that you've made a match play comparison, without ever having played the course?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

I always knew you were a bunker slut at heart.  ;)

Outed!  ;D ;D

Tom Huckaby

Garland, I see it this way using Ran's long-discarded and rightly criticized match play format:

Your take using this method?

Mike

I'll take this on.  And of course I haven't played Augusta.  But neither has Bogey.

1. CPC 1up
2. AS
3. Augusta 1 up
4. Augusta 1 up
5. AS
6. Augusta 1 up
7. AS
8. CPC 1up
9. CPC 2up
10. CPC 1up
11. CPC 1up
12. AS
13. Augusta 1 up
14. AS
15. CPC 1up
16. CPC 2up
17. CPC 3up
18. CPC 2up

And Bogey knows, I am a staunch Augusta lover and in years passed defended it strongly in this forum.  But I also know crazy talk when I see it.

;D

Patrick_Mucci

Tom Huckaby,

Are you basing your match on your play of both courses or the proximity of the Pacific Ocean ?   ;D  ;D  ;D

Garland Bayley

Bogey,

I already gave you my match play result.

Double Bogey
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

Tom Huckaby,

Are you basing your match on your play of both courses or the proximity of the Pacific Ocean ?   ;D  ;D  ;D

Would you base yours on playing with blinders on and the assumption of 300 foot walls surrounding each hole?

;D ;D ;D

I am curious though... given you are one of the likely less than 500 non-tour pros on earth who have played both courses.. please do submit a match play based on the playing of each.  Obviously my friend Bogey and I are wildly apart on this, with him having played CPC once, me quite more than that, he having walked Augusta, me seeing it for 40 years annually on TV.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:54:16 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Patrick_Mucci

Tom,

As in Football and Basketball or any team sport, "match-ups" can be important.

But, I don't think a comparison in the order of rotation or play is a valid method.
And, when it comes to ANGC, do you do the order as Dr Mac intended it, or in its present order

If I was going to make a comparison, I'd do it based on comparing the par 3's, par 4's and par 5's.

Both courses are really quite wonderful, but, they're so vastly different in their presentations that I think any comparison misses the quality of their architecture and play.

As to watching The Masters on TV, since I'm a little older than you, I've been watching longer than you.

No amount of watching The Masters on TV prepared me for the actual experience.
Unfortunately, the cameras flatten out just about everything.

The course is so much more in person than it is on TV.

The two courses are like two incredible women, gorgeous in their own right, but vasly different in looks and personality.

The answer, in terms of the comparison, probably lies within the chemistry between golfer and the golf course.
I've found that there's no accounting for "chemistry" in golf courses and women.

Sorry I can't address your question.
I don't think there's a finite answer, I think it's more a matter of taste and/or chemistry.

P.S.  Looks like Jimmy Clausen turned out to be a phenomenal QB.
       Weren't you touting Dane Crist as a much better QB ?   ;D

Tom Huckaby

Pat:

That's enough verbal sparring for me; apologies for not resisting the tired old views v. non-views spiel.  

I was hoping for some insight into the playing of the two courses.  If you can offer such, please do send by IM.

Best to you.

TH

Chip Gaskins

I'll bite....

Both are very moving experiences that really hard to compare.  Cypress is much shorter and easier.  Augusta, is well, Augusta...you just can't get that out of your head.

1. Augusta #1 beats Cypress #1 = ANGC 1 Up
2. Augusta #2 beats Cypress #2 = ANGC 2 Up
3. Augusta #3 beats Cypress #3 = ANGC 3 Up
4. Cypress #4 beats Augusta #4 = ANGC 2 Up
5. Cypress #5 beats Augusta #5 = ANGC 1 Up
6. Augusta #6 beats Cypress #6 = ANGC 2 Up
7. Cypress #7 beats Augusta #7 = ANGC 1 UP
8. Cypress #8 beats Augusta #8 = AS
9. Cypress #9 beats Augusta #9 = CPC 1 UP

10. Augusta #10 beats Cypress #10 = AS
11. Augusta #11 beats Cypress #11 = ANGC 1 UP
12. Augusta #12 beats Cypress #12 = ANGC 2 Up
13. Augusta #13 beats Cypress #13 = ANGC 3 Up
14. Augusta #14 beats Cypress #14 = ANGC 4 Up
15. Cypress #15 beats Augusta #15 = ANGC 3 Up
16. Cypress #16 beats Augusta #16 = ANGC 2 Up
17. Cypress #17 beats Augusta #17 = ANGC 1 Up
18. Cypress #18 beats Augusta #18 = AS

All Square ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:31:35 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Mike Hendren

Michael, How are you ever going to get around the blatant observation that you've made a match play comparison, without ever having played the course?

I know -  but that's what's so great about being an amateur, internet pundit!

Kindest regards,

Mike

Mike Hendren

Bump.  Still looking for somebody to give me ten reasons from an architectural perspective.  Buehler?  Frye?

Garland Bayley

It's about the golf Bogey. I gave it to CPC 12 up. You gave it to ANGC 5 up. Tom gave it to CPC 2 up. And Chip had it all square. By my calculation, that puts CPC in the lead.

Face it Bogey. ANGC gets too much credit by the mere fact that there is a much ballyhooed tournament held there. If there were not writers making up names like Amen Corner that describes the action during the tournament, and not the actual quality of the golf holes, then ANGC would be believed by all to be a Doak 9, or maybe a Doak 8 after Hootie got done vandalizing (flexibilizing?) it.

Double Bogey

Ian Andrew

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:57:49 PM by Ian Andrew »

PThomas

I've played one and seen the other in person.......and I'll take CPC

CPC's routing and beauty are both incredible
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

I am surprised that in all the "matchplay"battles...CPC #3 gets so little love...to me that is one of the greatest par threes out there....
Bunkering is superb and the green complex so tricky to putt..what am I missing about number three at ANGC?
Tough green for sure but unless the pin is in its Sunday spot, not that hard to hit with a wedge...
Other than that Chip's matchplay is similar to mine....

Scott Szabo

I'll bite....

Both are very moving experiences that really hard to compare.  Cypress is much shorter and easier.  Augusta, is well, Augusta...you just can't get that out of your head.

1. Augusta #1 beats Cypress #1 = ANGC 1 Up
2. Augusta #2 beats Cypress #2 = ANGC 2 Up
3. Augusta #3 beats Cypress #3 = ANGC 3 Up
4. Cypress #4 beats Augusta #4 = ANGC 2 Up
5. Cypress #5 beats Augusta #5 = ANGC 1 Up
6. Augusta #6 beats Cypress #6 = ANGC 2 Up
7. Cypress #7 beats Augusta #7 = ANGC 1 UP
8. Cypress #8 beats Augusta #8 = AS
9. Cypress #9 beats Augusta #9 = CPC 1 UP

10. Augusta #10 beats Cypress #10 = AS
11. Augusta #11 beats Cypress #11 = ANGC 1 UP
12. Augusta #12 beats Cypress #12 = ANGC 2 Up
13. Augusta #13 beats Cypress #13 = ANGC 3 Up
14. Augusta #14 beats Cypress #14 = ANGC 4 Up
15. Cypress #15 beats Augusta #15 = ANGC 3 Up
16. Cypress #16 beats Augusta #16 = ANGC 2 Up
17. Cypress #17 beats Augusta #17 = ANGC 1 Up
18. Cypress #18 beats Augusta #18 = AS

All Square ;D

You politically correct son of a gun.  Cypress #18 beating Augusta #18?  I'm sensing some sarcasm there.....

Having never played either, only walked Augusta.  But there's so much complaining about how bad #18 at Cypress is on such an incredible course - that's the basis for my statement :)
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back