News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Payne's Comments Today !!!
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »
I had the opportunity to hear his comments -- "state of the game" -- but the Tiger ones were quite interesting.

Curious to those who heard them and have any reaction.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Payne's Comments Today !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »
Matt,

I thought that Billy Payne's presentation of the "state of the game, ANGC and the Masters" was terrific.

I thought his comments regarding Tiger were unnecessary and misguided.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
From the accounting I saw in the print media, I'd say he set back the public conception of the Augusta National membership by a couple decades, at least.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
I see no point in the comments Chairman Pune mad econcerning Mr. Woods. He had to say something, that is clear. But he came off sounding condescending, and there could be no point in that.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:01:57 PM »
Hey, it's Augusta National.  What did you expect?

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »
Matt,

I thought that Billy Payne's presentation of the "state of the game, ANGC and the Masters" was terrific.

We should celebrate any time Patrick Mucci says it all, and only in a few words--thanks Pat  :D

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
I have not heard the tone of voice in which Billy Payne made his comments about Woods, but I have read them, and agree with them completely. In polite and formal fashion, he called Woods a louse and told him to shape up. I'm still a bit surprised the National proffered Woods an invitation this year. They are not automatic, even for former champions.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
I have not heard the tone of voice in which Billy Payne made his comments about Woods, but I have read them, and agree with them completely. In polite and formal fashion, he called Woods a louse and told him to shape up. I'm still a bit surprised the National proffered Woods an invitation this year. They are not automatic, even for former champions.

With all due respect, Tim, are you serious?

Tiger is still the franchise.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
If The Masters decided not to invite players or past champions because of certain "dalliances" we may have had a number of different winners. But they do what they want to do. I have no problems with ANGC, and after listening to the start of the Payne and Wood press events I quickly tuned out and changed channels. Starting to read a Henry Longhurst book to get in the proper mood.

Let the golf begin!  This has gone on longer than our last general election. And what golf course served as the backdrop in last night's Colbert Report?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:17:07 PM by Pete_Pittock »

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »
Given the institutional history of AGNC & the Masters, I find it remarkable a representative of that organization would presume to pass moral judgement on anyone.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »

Given the institutional history of AGNC & the Masters, I find it remarkable a representative of that organization would presume to pass moral judgement on anyone.

David,

I don't feel the moral indignation that you seem to feel.

ANGC represented life and culture as it existed in contemporaneous Augusta, Georgia, from 1934 to current date.

But, as Peter Pittock stated, they'd have to call in an expert engraver to change a lot of names on that Championship Cup, if they implemented a retro-active moral turpitude clause ;D

What's next, a fidelity question on the membership application ?
Retro-active ? ;D

The remarks were inappropriate and marred an otherwise high quality presentation.

Let the tournament begin

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »
Pat M. -

We have disagreed on many occasions regarding a good number of topics. You are certainly welcome to disagree with me on this one!

In any case, the sooner we can talk about the playing of golf at the Masters, the happier I suspect we will all be.

DT

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »
It was all too predictable that Mr. Payne's comments would be criticized as that of the plantaion owner scolding one of his slaves, I just expected I would see it in the New York Times before I would see it here
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:06 AM »
Tiger was never my role model.  I don't think he has to apogize to anyone, except maybe his wife.  But that's between them.  So I completely disagree with Payne. 

I wonder how many members of ANGC have never had affairs?  That club made up of many of America's richest and most famous?  Ike supposedly had at least one long-running relationship.  Arnie is famous for messing around. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:07:31 AM »

Jim

Tiger has been great for the game as well as an absolute disaster. His performances have been magical and exciting yet his course behaviour is one of the poorest I have seen from a Champion.

His respect for the game over the last few years has at best been questionable.

His consideration of others on the course has been at best poor verging on appalling.

His lack of respect for course etiquette is just unacceptable and verging on the dangerous

His off course pantomime has been all about but disgraceful for a Golfing Champion.

Clearly he cared not for others, be they his wife, family, other players, his fans and spectators in general. He is a public figure earning money from his public appearances and not forgetting his public endorsements of products to persuade the public to purchase the goods. So the general public have every right to feel bitterly let down if not embarrassed by the guy called Tiger Woods

A Leopard can’t change their spots so can a Tiger really change?

We all have a right to comment on any pubic figure and I would expect that many of his fellow professional golfers are none too pleased with his performance and for bringing the game low by his appalling behaviour both on and off the course.

By all means support your hero, but do not do a Tiger believing he is above the rules. The proof of his performance is on record and endorsed by Tigers own lips. I am actually surprised that many of the Professionals did not openly attack him for bringing the game into disrepute. Honour in golf seems to be in decline because Tiger should have fallen on his sword and retired. Yet again we see money controlling the game and the Governing Bodies do their usual sweet F*#k All.

Melvyn

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »
Payne should invite Tiger to join Arnie and Jack as an honorary starter!

Phil Benedict

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 09:38:15 AM »
There are so many levels to Payne's comments but I will limit myself to one.  Virtually everyone else who has a stake in the golf business (the Tour, most of the players, the networks, the Golf Channel) has acted like they are walking on egg shells as far as Tiger's behavior is concerned, probably for fear of killing the goose that laid the golden egg and maybe because they don't want to offend Tiger, who has a long memory.  There are exceptions - Jesper, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller to some extent and some of the golf media, but most others have tredded lightly around the topic.

By being so forthright Payne is expressing Augusta's power and immunity from the concerns that drive the rest of the industry.  They don't have any reason to fear Tiger because he needs their tournament more than they need him.  What's Tiger gonna do - boycott the Masters?  Not likely. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
There are so many levels to Payne's comments but I will limit myself to one.  Virtually everyone else who has a stake in the golf business (the Tour, most of the players, the networks, the Golf Channel) has acted like they are walking on egg shells as far as Tiger's behavior is concerned, probably for fear of killing the goose that laid the golden egg and maybe because they don't want to offend Tiger, who has a long memory.  There are exceptions - Jesper, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller to some extent and some of the golf media, but most others have tredded lightly around the topic.

By being so forthright Payne is expressing Augusta's power and immunity from the concerns that drive the rest of the industry.  They don't have any reason to fear Tiger because he needs their tournament more than they need him.  What's Tiger gonna do - boycott the Masters?  Not likely. 

Well said, Phil.  Payne has the right to say what he said and the object of his comments (Woods) probably wouldn't disagree with one word of his speech.  I think he hit the right tone and even ended on a modestly hopeful note.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
Phil - is Tiger "too big to fail" as far as the golf industry is concerned?
Coasting is a downhill process

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »
Payne's comments were on the money, but should have been made privately with only one other man in the room.   Again, the tournament remains an invitational and the host has an obligation to be hospitable.  To go public on the eve of the competition was poor form.

I continue to be astonished that so many people play the "everybody does it" card.  I tried that on my parents when I was 12 and haven't used that excuse with anybody since.  If all your friends "do it" you need to get a new group of friends.  Integrity and  faithfulness will never go out of style. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Andy Hodson

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
Good for Mr. Payne for addressing the subject with strength and deftness.

Tiger broke none of man's laws. But he violated a trust. One between him and his sponsors. And one between him and us, the paying public. I can and will get over it, as it never mattered much to me anyway. His sponsors and ex-sponsors will too (some would say the corporations got what they deserved).

His wife might even get over him too, in time.

His kids never will. I only wished I believed they were priority one for Tiger. I don't.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
Matt,

Agree totally.

Anthony

BCrosby

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 10:12:53 AM »
The Masters is an invitational tournament.

If you believe an invitee no longer deserves his invitation (for whatever reason - ANGC sets the rules), you retract it. And go about your business.

What you don't do is invite someone to your tournament and then, while he is your guest, complain about his prior behaviour.

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
As I said on the other thread, for a club that has staked it's claim to privacy, rights of association, etc., recently, commenting on Tiger's private life was the ultimate in hypocrisy. Mr. Payne should know better, I have lost a great deal of respect for him.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »
Tiger broke none of man's laws. But he violated a trust.  

This is not true.  He broke the law in Florida, was cited and paid the fine.

The intrigue is whats driving this sensation.  Did he commit other violations by driving under the influence and did his wife break the law by attacking him?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back