News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Take Me Home Country Roads......a return to my golfing roots
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »
I would love to play there. Fun.

Thanks Anthony.  
Let's make GCA grate again!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
The best thing about this thread is that I would, without a doubt, have a great time playing this course.  Imagine how affordable the game would be if there were many courses maintained in this fashion.

There is a certain purity to it.

ARG

Anthony, agreed. This reminds me of the course I lived on as a child, but was never able to play until 32 years later. I might do a similar thread on it later! White Day has been added to my list.....
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 06:59:20 PM »
Though I live near and have passed quite close to White Day many times, I've never played it.  I may remedy that sometime soon.

Greg Boring's post 31 throws some love or at least like to Tygart Valley Golf Course.  I agree that there's a lot of fun to be had there.  Indeed, there's a lot of fun golf to be had at many courses that might too easily be discounted as goat ranches. 

People who have never played runway golf (think calculating an 8 iron to roll for forty yards on dead level ground in windless conditions) don't know what they are missing.  The long roll is the good news.  The bad news is the ball will roll just as far whether it's on line or not.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 07:24:50 AM »
Though I live near and have passed quite close to White Day many times, I've never played it.  I may remedy that sometime soon.

Greg Boring's post 31 throws some love or at least like to Tygart Valley Golf Course.  I agree that there's a lot of fun to be had there.  Indeed, there's a lot of fun golf to be had at many courses that might too easily be discounted as goat ranches. 

People who have never played runway golf (think calculating an 8 iron to roll for forty yards on dead level ground in windless conditions) don't know what they are missing.  The long roll is the good news.  The bad news is the ball will roll just as far whether it's on line or not.

Again Steve...these courses like White Day do have a links feel to them. Just plain fun.

Anthony

Mike Cirba

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2010, 07:47:38 AM »
Anthony,

Good show, and like many others here, it reminds me a good deal of the courses I grew up playing and still love to play.

Do we know anything about the history of the course?

I'm more intrigued than ever.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2010, 07:56:15 AM »
Anthony,

Good show, and like many others here, it reminds me a good deal of the courses I grew up playing and still love to play.

Do we know anything about the history of the course?

I'm more intrigued than ever.

On his way to The Greenbrier, rumors say C B Macdonald stop by to take a look at the property......and have a few drinks.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2010, 09:06:26 AM »

The 8th hole in a real charmer. 274 par 4. Death to the right and nasty to the left. Do you go for the green or not?

Tee

Toward the green. Not much room.

Hazard on the right

Lokking down from the first fairway. Nature.

My teeball luckily came of the hill after my cut ended up being "The dreaded straight shot" into the trees.

Left side feeds ball onto the green.

Anthony

Mike Cirba

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:59 AM »

On his way to The Greenbrier, rumors say C B Macdonald stop by to take a look at the property......and have a few drinks.

Anthony

Oh, you're such a tease, Anhony!  ;)

After seeing the 8th hole, now Inquiring minds really want to know!!!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
God, Anthony what a stretch of holes this has been. The 7th looks like a blast of a par-3 and the 8th, what can I say. Looks like you could bang driver up the left and "hope" for the best or hit a pair of 9-irons. Love it!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
What a great looking site...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
God, Anthony what a stretch of holes this has been. The 7th looks like a blast of a par-3 and the 8th, what can I say. Looks like you could bang driver up the left and "hope" for the best or hit a pair of 9-irons. Love it!

Tony.......EXACTLY.......OPTIONS OPTIONS OPTIONS......another key element to great design.

ARG

Ted Kramer

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
One of my favorite threads in a long time!
Thanks for posting.
In my opinion, we, as golfers, would be in a much better place if this is what people thought of when they heard the word "golf" . . .

Thanks again for posting!
-Ted

Steve Salmen

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Great post Anthony.  Looking at the course conditions reminds me of my early golfing days at Ukiah GC in Northern Ca.  Rough fairways and greens, bare tees. 

It's a fine idea for a post.  I'd like to see some folks post pics of the courses they grew up on.  I'll do one on Ukiah but it will be some time before I return.  I bet it was a humbling experience.  Best Wishes to you and your family.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
Steve -- If you haven't already, go look at the In My Opinion section with a list of "home courses" that some have submitted. Heres' mine: http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/yorkcountryclub. Though I still consider it home, this thread has made me want to get back to some of the earliest nine-holers my dad had me play on.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »

Hole 9   125

The kid tee. Always loved this as a finishing hole because as a kid I thought I had a chance for par. Plays less than 100 from here.

Behind the green

Uphill from the member tee.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »
It warms the cockles of my heart to see all you bunker sluts admiring this course!
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Great post Anthony.  Looking at the course conditions reminds me of my early golfing days at Ukiah GC in Northern Ca.  Rough fairways and greens, bare tees. 

It's a fine idea for a post.  I'd like to see some folks post pics of the courses they grew up on.  I'll do one on Ukiah but it will be some time before I return.  I bet it was a humbling experience.  Best Wishes to you and your family.

Steve, I played a high school match at Ukiah in 1957, Novato High vs Ukiah.  That's all I remember except, to quote Dave Hill, there should have been cattle.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
Anthony, my recollection of the course from the late 1950s is that it was much more open . . . total cow pasture.  It's been a long time and trees take a long to grow and 50+ years is pretty long.  What's your recollection?  Does the course need a tree management program?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:50:48 PM by Carl Johnson »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »
Anthony, my recollection of the course from the late 1950s is that it was much more open . . . total cow pasture.  It's been a long time and trees take a long to grow and 50+ years is pretty long.  What's your recollection?  Does the course need a tree management program?

I think it is stil open. The creek is the best feature and has been altered. In the past the creek guarded 1,was left of the green on 3,bisescted 5 at a diagonal,behind the green on 6 and ran the entire left on 7. I have not played another course that used one small creek as effectively.

Anthony

Carl Johnson

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »

I think it is stil open. The creek is the best feature and has been altered. In the past the creek guarded 1,was left of the green on 3,bisescted 5 at a diagonal,behind the green on 6 and ran the entire left on 7. I have not played another course that used one small creek as effectively.

Anthony

Anthony, I was being a little facetious.  Carl

Garland Bayley

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »

Anthony, I was being a little facetious.  Carl

Pretty big word for Anthony. Perhaps if you spelled it faseeshus, he would get it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »

Carl,

After seeing how much Northern WV has changed maybe that was on my mind. Old Mountaneer Field was a classic.

Anthony

Carl Johnson

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »

Carl,

After seeing how much Northern WV has changed maybe that was on my mind. Old Mountaneer Field was a classic.

Anthony

And what about the old Field House?  Not only did I see Hot Rod and Jerry West play there (including in high school against Morgantown in the state finals, won by Jerry's East Bank team), not to mention Mark Workman, but my buddy (Dewey) and I, the same one I played golf with at White Day, when in high school used to sneak in at night and play recreational pick-up b-ball with the college guys.  Sometimes we'd get caught and thrown out, but mostly not.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:14:59 PM by Carl Johnson »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2010, 07:23:30 PM »
All this from a dentist from West Virginia... I said a dentist from West Virginia. Oh the irony.   

Anthony Gray

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »

I went to the bank beside hole 5 to look for the old water pump. It had this long handle on it that when pumped a few times water would girgle then shoot up over 5 feet for drinking water. The water was ice cold and had this iron taste to it. The joy of watching the water shhot up was as good as the water.

I search the old pump area and found this in the unkept grass around the sealed off pump. The handle I hadn't touched in 35 years.

The perfect day for a three man select shot low- ball.

Dave Hayhurst. The nephew of former course manager Ivan. His father once got a hole-in-one on the par 4 270 yard 8th.

Tuffy standing guard over the final green. One of the best golf patios ever.

The Spirit Of The Game.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back