News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Re: A Royal in the States?
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2010, 12:49:15 AM »
I was under the impression (from my former brother-in-law who was a member of one of the listed clubs) that the Royal title was given if a member of the royal family had played the course. Perhaps this is not correct, I am not sure.

The title can be used here in America because few here know the real meaning of the title. Its one of those title words we have here, same as XXX National Golf Club.

And I guess I find it odd that neither St. Andrews nor Carnoustie, were ever awarded Royal status.

John, a club is not Royal just because a member of the Royal Family played there, if that were the case there would be thousands of real Royal courses. 

And, it is clubs, not courses that are made Royal.  So St. Andrews is not Royal but the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:27 AM »
Dale - correct

Post 30 - Royal Cape is South Africa and that is part of the Commonwealth.

In Australia it appears the Royal title has been bestowed on the premiere club in each state with only WA having two and NT none.

My guess is the Palace would never support a rumour but I'd expect prior to any application the feelers would go out to see if an application would be received in a favourable manner.

Royal St Georges & Royal Cinque Ports clubhouses are less than 3 miles apart.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:20:13 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Anthony Gray

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »

George Brett.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:08 AM »
Royal St Georges & Royal Cinque Ports clubhouses are less than 3 miles apart.

Looks like a silver medal there (only in terms of proximity).  Duff House & Tarlair appear to be closer (1.6 mi. if I have the clubhouses right), Wimbledon and Mud Surrey slightly farther apart (4 mi.).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:41:03 AM by Jason McNamara »

Warwick Loton

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:17 AM »
The Bershire GC is another ex

John Moore II

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
   George Brett.

Enlightening...

I was under the impression (from my former brother-in-law who was a member of one of the listed clubs) that the Royal title was given if a member of the royal family had played the course. Perhaps this is not correct, I am not sure.

The title can be used here in America because few here know the real meaning of the title. Its one of those title words we have here, same as XXX National Golf Club.

And I guess I find it odd that neither St. Andrews nor Carnoustie, were ever awarded Royal status.

John, a club is not Royal just because a member of the Royal Family played there, if that were the case there would be thousands of real Royal courses. 

And, it is clubs, not courses that are made Royal.  So St. Andrews is not Royal but the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is.

Thanks, I honestly did not know what made a course or club 'royal.'

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
Warwick,

Most of the ex Royals are still Royal clubs but do not use the title for political reasons such as Hong Kong GC.

Now The Berkshire is a different story.......what Edward Prince of Wales later Edward VIII giveth he can take away!!

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

John Cornish

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
Two more -

Royal Melbourne Golf Club (how original?) in the Chicago area, I believe and Royal Westmoreland GC in Barbados. Barbados is in the Commonwealth but I suspect the Royal title was granted by good Marketing folk, not a member of the royal family.

John Cornish

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »

Good list.

Is the year you've listed the year they were awarded Royal status?

I have no idea Scott, just copied and pasted from another website.  I did notice Troon was listed as 1978?  

I have a list of Royal Clubs giving the year of inception and the year the royal assent was granted. Royal Troon - listed as 1878 and 1978 (coinciding with their Centenary year?) Royal Melbourne 1891 and 1895, Royal Burgess 1773 and 1929 etc

Greg Tallman

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
Now that we have our first King/Emporer this cannot be far in the offing.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
In Australia it appears the Royal title has been bestowed on the premiere club in each state with only WA having two and NT none.

Mark

That may have been the original intent back when it was bestowed ? - certainly in WA's / NSW's and TAS's case I would suggest other designs have surpased the Royal courses.

Warwick Loton

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »
Two more -

Royal Melbourne Golf Club (how original?) in the Chicago area, I believe and Royal Westmoreland GC in Barbados. Barbados is in the Commonwealth but I suspect the Royal title was granted by good Marketing folk, not a member of the royal family.

John, those fine Illinois folk had the good grace not to copy Royal Melbourne GC's name - instead they call themselves Royal Melbourne Country Club. Gracious as well as original.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:12:02 PM by Warwick Loton »

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »

Mark

That may have been the original intent back when it was bestowed ? - certainly in WA's / NSW's and TAS's case I would suggest other designs have surpased the Royal courses.

I did note that Mark said "club" not "course".

Mark is all about the club, you see. ;)

Matt Day

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »

Mark

Would agree Kev, Royal Perth and Royal Fremantle are both solid member courses but would struggle to be in the top 100 courses in Australia. I hear a lot of people who play either course for the first time come away slightly disappointed, its a belief that the Royal prefix means quality

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »
Royal Scot near Lansing, MI.  Also a bowling center
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

John Cornish

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »

Mark

I recall playing with a past-Captain at the Brisbane GC many years ago who was telling me they had arranged for George V to visit their club but the Governer of Queensland was a member at the Queensland GC and decided to take him there instead. Not sure of the accuracy of the claim.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
Royal Poinciana in Naples... named for different reasons but still.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »
Come on, Eric...Royal New Kent!!!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Sandy Smith

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »
In 1994 Tiger Woods won the PNGA at Royal Oaks CC in Vancouver Washington. I don't think that Royal came from  Buckingham Palace though.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2010, 03:32:19 AM »
Kevin - not sure the palace check the designs!

Sandy - Royal Oaks CC appears to be in the USA not Canada - refer to earlier posts.

Is Royal Westmoreland a club or housing development with a golf course?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:35:18 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2010, 06:46:22 AM »
Royal Links in Las Vegas.  Make sure your speakers are on: http://www.royallinksgolfclub.com/

Ridiculous...but genius
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Jason Hines

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »
Royal Links in Las Vegas.  Make sure your speakers are on: http://www.royallinksgolfclub.com/

Ridiculous...but genius

Very interesting, can anyone confirm if this experience is similar to the "Soul of Scotland" as their website states?

Sandy Smith

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
Mark - Sorry but the last time I looked Vancouver  Washinghton was in the USA. Is there a thread that argues that ?
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »
you will pleased to know most aussies and brits have got over the whole Royal thing as far as golf is concerned.  It was largely a political issue of the day, with the oldest club in each town normally getting the gong - although Royal Sydney and Royal Qld disprove that.

Laregely irrelevant these days, the quality of the course far outweighs the title

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »
Sandy - no in the US the use of the title Royal is a free for all. That was the earlier point.

Josh - not if you are a member of a Royal club, we are very proud of our links to the Crown and our Royal patronage. Dan Moore and Ari Techner who have both attended formal club dinners will agree we treat seriously the telegrams of loyal greetings and replies that are read to the members.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back