News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: A Royal in the States?
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »
apologies, i was not denegrating royal clubs or their members, just making the point that to the non-Royal public, it is perhaps something of a bygone age, wonderfully traditional and worth retaining,  but not in itself a factor in deciding which course to play or club to join.  There are no Royal Clubs near London of any great note any more, other than perhaps Wimbeldon, and in Australia, only Royal Melbourne and Royal Adelaide have courses that are really top notch.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
Mark - Sorry but the last time I looked Vancouver  Washinghton was in the USA. Is there a thread that argues that ?

Just to follow on from what Sandy posted, the more well known Vancouver is the city in British Columbia.  Royal Oaks is in Vancouver, Washington, a town just inside the Washington State border from Portland Oregon.

Josh - not if you are a member of a Royal club, we are very proud of our links to the Crown and our Royal patronage. Dan Moore and Ari Techner who have both attended formal club dinners will agree we treat seriously the telegrams of loyal greetings and replies that are read to the members.

And to follow on from what Mark said, speaking as a member of a Canadian Royal, we too take the honour very seriously, and consider ourselves privileged to be among the clubs honoured by the British monarchy.

Although, there is a perception Royal courses receive the honour for the quality of their golf courses, that has never strictly been true.  Obviously some of the great UK clubs have the Royal title and Royal Melbourne certainly ranks among the very best but a look at the 60 + clubs with the title shows a wide range of golf courses, from great to average.  And some that tend to the more average are the longest standing members of the Royal group.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »
Make the most of them. When Scotland inevitably achieves independence, King Charles III of England will no doubt rescind all the 'Royal' clubs and courses in Scotland. St Andrews will then be known simply as 'The Ancient'  ;D
Of course, King Ecky the Questionable of Scotland may choose re-instate them all.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
From The Curragh website; On 24th September 1910 the title ‘Royal’ was conferred on the Curragh Golf Club. Correspondence with the British Home Office confirms that the title is still valid to this day.

It is Ireland's old club and had very strong links to the British military.

As for Scottish independence, can you afford it?
Cave Nil Vino

Dale Jackson

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
From The Curragh website; On 24th September 1910 the title ‘Royal’ was conferred on the Curragh Golf Club. Correspondence with the British Home Office confirms that the title is still valid to this day.

It is Ireland's old club and had very strong links to the British military.

As for Scottish independence, can you afford it?

Mark, I played there in 2007 and the links with the military are still strong, although now of the Irish variety; it is located in an army base and there is a shooting range adjacent to a fairway.  Military vehicles are seen everywhere but are not as prominent as the sheep, I would estimate there was at least 500 roaming the fairways.  Curiously they did not seem to stray onto the greens, although there were not any electrical fences.

As you point out, the Royal title remains in place, although not used.  It seemed a little known aspect of the club, some members were not sure of their status.

A visit there is a unique experience, an interesting but not great course, with some quirks you are not likely to run into elsewhere.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back