News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Will you be watching Masters in 3D?
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Melvyn, this thread is about technology, keep moving :)

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/450259-The_Masters_Takes_3D_Leap.php

It will be available on most major cable companies (Comcast, Time Warner, and Cox) and also on the web (Comcast and IBM will also work together to provide the same 3D feed over the Web via www.masters.com, which can be viewed by 3D-capable PCs with special 3D monitors and companion glasses. )

Unfortunately, I do not have 3D capable TV or PC, but I hear they look pretty sweet. Anyone planning on watching this thing in 3D?

Tom Birkert

Re: Will you be watching Masters in 3D?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
Nope. Just normal HD on my plasma.

From the reviews I've read of 3D it sounds weird to me. You have to wear silly glasses and it's new technology. A presenter on a technology show over here has slated it.

I think the TV companies will end up taking a big loss on it as I don't think it will catch on, until and unless it works without glasses.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »
It's apparently supposed to be fantastic and it makes me wish I had a 3D TV! But it'll just be the normal HD for me...which considering the Masters has only widely been in HD for less than 10 years makes it still a treat to watch on TV compared to the old tube TVs. 
H.P.S.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
How much are these 3D Tv's anyway. Haven't seen one.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »

I am just going to sit back and see who among you is watching it in 3D and I will be on your doorstep in moments.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »

I am just going to sit back and see who among you is watching it in 3D and I will be on your doorstep in moments.

Should I keep the women and children back from the screen while Tiger's on?
Next!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
I have a first cousin who is a physicist/inventor in the 3D field. Don't know if he has a 3D set. Would even settle for a PPV at the local theater.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
I have a first cousin who is a physicist/inventor in the 3D field. Don't know if he has a 3D set. Would even settle for a PPV at the local theater.

Doesn't the article say that Best Buys around the country were going to have viewing parties?
H.P.S.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
Yes. I'll be watching it at the Sony store
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
The 3D HDTV sets are quite expensive ($3000+), but the real problem is the glasses. Each of them are about $150 and the TV comes with only two which means any big parties like Super Bowl would be a no-no.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »
First versions of anything are rarely a good idea.

I'm waiting for the holographic version anyway.  ;)

john_stiles

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
Sounds like it will be interesting and one of the best courses for a 3D show.

The word is that  3D  makes  2D HD  look....so......so old school.

But,  I will be playing golf in 3D  !   So I got that going for me.

Richard Choi

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »
What I am REALLY curious about is whether or not 3D will enhance the sense of elevation changes at ANGC. It is always the first thing anyone says about ANGC after seeing it in person - how much elevation change there is. It would be awesome if 3D TV could finally convey that through broadcast TV.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
Over at my other web hangout, www.dbstalk.com, somebody reported that the 3D preparation wasn't going as well as hoped down at Augusta.

Ken Moum

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
No, but I just discovered that my new ATT Uverse system has a Master's Multiview, which will let me monitor all 6 Masters HD channels on one screen.

FWIW, that's CBS, ESPN, and Masters 1 through 4.  They include Amen Corner, 15 & 16, Featured Groups and ATT Master's Extras.

And, there's access to player info and scorecards, a course map with hole flyovers, a photo gallery, news etc., etc.

I'm liking Uverse more all the time.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 06:47:07 AM »
I'll be watching on the 27" Samsung in my living room just like always.  Don't even have HD or plasma or any of that stuff yet.

In fact, I'm not sure my TV is even 2D! :(
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 06:58:30 AM »
AG - Get yourself down to the store and pick up a 32" HDTV.  They're pretty inexpensive now and you'll absolutely love it.

PS - Plasma is so yesterday - get yourself an 1080p LCD.  You don't need LED lighting unless you really want that skinny look.  (LED TVs are LCD - they just use LEDs to light the picture, while older LCDs use a special light bulb)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
The 3D glasses make me dizzy anyway since I have to wear them on top of my bifocals. But the one broadcast I wouldn't care to screw around with is The Masters. They pack more golf per hour in that production than any other and the camerawork is generally almost perfect. The plain old HD broadcast is a work of art and 3D is going to be like airbrushing the Mona Lisa to look more like a cheesecake photo.

Just my humble opinion, of course. And I'm not surprised their dress rehearsals aren't going well, it's going to almost impossible to add enough value with the 3D gimmicks to make up for the dimness of the picture and the motion artifacts.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »
AG - Get yourself down to the store and pick up a 32" HDTV.  They're pretty inexpensive now and you'll absolutely love it.

PS - Plasma is so yesterday - get yourself an 1080p LCD.  You don't need LED lighting unless you really want that skinny look.  (LED TVs are LCD - they just use LEDs to light the picture, while older LCDs use a special light bulb)

LCDs are good, but plasma is still the way to go for the best HD picture. I have a 60" 9th generation Pioneer which is pretty much universally acknowledged as the best big screen TV you can get.

That said, the price of both LCDs and plasmas has tumbled and you can pick up a half decent full HD set for not too much money. If you're buying a TV bigger than 42" then plasma is still the way to go in my opinion.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:40 AM »
They say 1 in 10 people that saw Avatar in 3D got motion sickness (i'm one of the nine).

I dont think we will have to worry about motion sickness with the combination of Jim Nantz, "Augusta" playing in the background, and the broad, slow motion camera pans!
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Richard Choi

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »
3D broadcast starts today with the par 3 contest. Anyone around here have 3D gear to watch this?

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2010-04-07/201004071270646690348.html

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
I wonder how good the 3D is.  Will I actually duck when Tiger throws his an iron away in disgust?

Davis Wildman

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
Since this is a tech discussion, I read that plasma screens do better in low light rooms, i.e. dark rooms...lots of windows, or external light sources reflect off the screen making it difficult to see the picuture...not so with LCD HD.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
DLP technology is my pick. Best big-screen HDTVs I've seen. Almost 3D without all the 3D gadgetry, and easily adaptable to 3D, from the technical papers I've read. Mitsubishi makes 'em, not sure who else.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
Since this is a tech discussion, I read that plasma screens do better in low light rooms, i.e. dark rooms...lots of windows, or external light sources reflect off the screen making it difficult to see the picuture...not so with LCD HD.

This is one complete lay-person, non-techie, non-early adopter opinion, but I'd simply say few "normal" :) people can see the difference between plasma and LCD. I have one 42" of each; the plasma is older, 720p, and the LCD is newer, 1080p. Both look remarkable, both are a giant leap up from the older technology. I'm very happy with both, and both types of these are relatively inexpensive now (relative to the value, imho, not relative to older TVs, however).

As for bright rooms, my LCD is in our family room, lots of light, still looks terrific; my plasma is in our game room, much darker, also looks great. Can't go wrong with most HDTVs these days, imh(and uneducated)o.

And if you want to watch the recent Steelers Super Bowl victory or Pens Cup victory, just come on over, I still have them on the DVR, can't bring myself to delete them!

Hope that helps.

I can't even imagine wanting to watch anything in 3d, but maybe that's just me. I've never seen anything I thought was remotely good, particularly since you have to wear the glasses. My dad has a very old (circa 1950s) stereo camera that takes better 3d slides than anything I've seen before or since (you have to wear special polarized glasses, not the red and blue cheapo ones), but to me, it's just an annoying novelty (but please don't tell him I said that...).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back