News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

THE LOST PHOTOS OF CABO..................OT
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »

Last weekend I went to Cabo/Baja Mexico for a golf experience. Took great photos. Camera did not make the return trip. Not sure why but the photos would have been useful on the site. I will share some observations.

Greg Tallman is from West Virginia.

I kissed his face when our mountaineers made the final four. He punched me wearing his WVU gloves.

One night he left me downtown in a mexican city I was unfamiliar with, half broke, to find my way back to a hotel I did not remember
  the name of.

Cabo del Sol is a world class course and a must play. Future plans to improve the course will even make it greater. The finish on the
  front 9 will be moved closer to the water.

Diamante is deserving of ever good thing said about it.

The grill on the driving range is a touch of class. Never seen anything like it.

The course has everything....tight,width,up,down,standard,quirk. No Cruden Bay but close. No hot water in the shower...refreshing.

The native foilage is almost as penel as gorse. Resort course with teeth.

Bay of Dreams....made reservations but found out the day before the flight there was no room in the inn. So played Diamante twice.

It is always a good thing to experience the local culture on trips.....best the camera was lost.

Anthony

Greg Tallman

Re: THE LOST PHOTOS OF CABO..................OT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »

Last weekend I went to Cabo/Baja Mexico for a golf experience. Took great photos. Camera did not make the return trip. Not sure why but the photos would have been useful on the site. I will share some observations.

Greg Tallman is from West Virginia. Best observation yet... how could you tell? 

I kissed his face when our mountaineers made the final four. He punched me wearing his WVU gloves.  Hope the punch was more genuine than the kiss!

One night he left me downtown in a mexican city I was unfamiliar with, half broke, to find my way back to a hotel I did not remember
  the name of. They take credit cards everywhere, you left me... jesus you were staying at Cabo del Sol man!

Cabo del Sol is a world class course and a must play. Future plans to improve the course will even make it greater. The finish on the
  front 9 will be moved closer to the water. Holes 6 and 7 move closer, many may wish to play 8 and 9 as well ;)

Diamante is deserving of ever good thing said about it. Agreed

The grill on the driving range is a touch of class. Never seen anything like it. What was her name? Oh sorry you said grill not girl

The course has everything....tight,width,up,down,standard,quirk. No Cruden Bay but close. No hot water in the shower...refreshing. Bringing back bad visuals from a great day.

The native foilage is almost as penel as gorse. Resort course with teeth. Yep - Dunes of Death

Bay of Dreams....made reservations but found out the day before the flight there was no room in the inn. So played Diamante twice. That and his host was a little preoccupied with a basketball game in the afternoon making a day trip out of the question... BAH HOST! GREAT BASKETBALL!

It is always a good thing to experience the local culture on trips.....best the camera was lost. Hmmmm, care to elaborate?

Anthony

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:53:42 PM by Greg Tallman »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »

I told the taxi guy I'm staying at The Hacienda......He said which one?

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »

Anthony

Understandable...

Hacienda del Mar
Cabo Hacienda
Hacienda Encantada

As noted it was best you were not with me on the ride home. All I needed was Seņor Gray chatting with a Federali!!!!! My, that would have been priceless... actually it would have been quite PRICEY! Guess I better fix the tail light!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Sorry back to golf...

How would you characterize a trip where you can play The Ocean Course and Diamante? Kinda like being able to wrap Pebble Beach and Doonbeg into the same day... WITH PERFECT WEATHER!!! ??

Is there a more comparable Scottish/Irish dunes course that would be a better comparison to Diamante?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »
Sorry back to golf...

How would you characterize a trip where you can play The Ocean Course and Diamante? Kinda like being able to wrap Pebble Beach and Doonbeg into the same day... WITH PERFECT WEATHER!!! ??

Is there a more comparable Scottish/Irish dunes course that would be a better comparison to Diamante?

That close to each other maybe TOC and Kingsbarns. The taxi guy doesn't take plastic.......Thanks for everthing again....Will be back after the divorce,

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »
Sorry back to golf...

That close to each other maybe TOC and Kingsbarns. The taxi guy doesn't take plastic.......Thanks for everthing again....Will be back after the divorce,

Anthony

Not looking for a close comparison... looking for a compliment to our age old references to Pebble... so a writer with more talent than I can craft a rather compelling destination piece about Cabo centered around the 2 courses and the weather... no fog... no rain... kinda like "why would you go anywhere else?"

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
So typical of this business...an opening is really a closing for me....I need to finish the course...not sure I will be able to.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »
So typical of this business...an opening is really a closing for me....I need to finish the course...not sure I will be able to.

What's going on down there?

Not sure I would want to be AG's travel buddy, just sayin'.....................

Last contretemps I experienced in Mexico was in Tijuana as a 23 year old Ensign in a brothel, no mas por favor.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »

Paul, Are there specific areas that you feel are incomplete in your mind? Watched a Mich State game with Bill the other night and chatted about the construction process which is obviously his passion and he shared some info of which I was not aware such as original green location for hole 13. To that I say... Why Paul Why???? And while he is not thrilled with the mowing preference for 9 green (what super would be) I believe given the severity of the slope it was a must. You would probably be pleased to know I have been able to get it up and in from just short on more than one ocassion by running it up the slope with a 5 iron... something I would not try if it were fairway length grass. That said I believe the approach rather severe for the average player even if they had a wedge... AND THEY DO NOT AS YOU KNOW.

Finally encountered the back left hole location on 14 and made birdie... I will be going directly to 15 tee from 13 green forever more! OK, OK... no wind that day!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »

What's going on down there?

Not sure I would want to be AG's travel buddy, just sayin'.....................

Last contretemps I experienced in Mexico was in Tijuana as a 23 year old Ensign in a brothel, no mas por favor.

Bill, course is up and running which, as I am certain Paul will agree, is a minor miracle. They are doing well on the golf front while only entertaining a mox of 68 guests each day. The course and the service are a treat.

By the way they do not have such places in TJ any longer. It is a upper crust kind town now.  ;)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »
Paul Cowley, In all seriousness among the great dunes courses in the world what would the closest comparison be from your travels?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »

Diamante as said before has a little of everything. Chambers Bay..Bandon..Royal County Down..Ask Greg about playing the "Scottish Shot" from off the green.

Anthony

Gary Slatter

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »

Diamante as said before has a little of everything. Chambers Bay..Bandon..Royal County Down..Ask Greg about playing the "Scottish Shot" from off the green.

Anthony

Anthony
Do you prefer rain or sweat when playing a links? I think wearing waterproofs I can knock the ball lower and straighter.
Is the face lick better in Mexico or Cruden Bay?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 08:07:28 AM »

Anthony

Anthony
Do you prefer rain or sweat when playing a links? I think wearing waterproofs I can knock the ball lower and straighter.
Is the face lick better in Mexico or Cruden Bay?

Mexico is a 10 on the face lick scale,sorry no photos. As far as the weather both places are awesome if you catch them at the right time of the year. Rain or scortching sun is the question. The face lick factor would have to prevail with this one.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »

Anthony

Understandable...

Hacienda del Mar
Cabo Hacienda
Hacienda Encantada

As noted it was best you were not with me on the ride home. All I needed was Seņor Gray chatting with a Federali!!!!! My, that would have been priceless... actually it would have been quite PRICEY! Guess I better fix the tail light!

The ride home the third night was definatly the best. Pure ectasy after the WVU win. Laying down in the back seat of the car, wedging myself between two golf bags while the driver was traveling at speeds equal to the batmobil and a novia screamming "Let me out,you're going to kill us"

Traveling Tony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »

Anthony

Understandable...

Hacienda del Mar
Cabo Hacienda
Hacienda Encantada

The ride home the third night was definatly the best. Pure ectasy after the WVU win. Laying down in the back seat of the car, wedging myself between two golf bags while the driver was traveling at speeds equal to the batmobil and a novia screamming "Let me out,you're going to kill us"

Traveling Tony

Wait until we win Monday night... the Jeep will fly baby!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »

[/quote]

Mexico is a 10 on the face lick scale,sorry no photos. As far as the weather both places are awesome if you catch them at the right time of the year. Rain or scortching sun is the question. The face lick factor would have to prevail with this one.

Anthony

[/quote]

Saw those gals again last evening. They asked where you were... well that was later but they did ask.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »
White belts and palm trees

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
White belts and palm trees

That is uncalled for.........very low blow. I would have nailed you to the wall with those pics.

Tony Pink Kitty

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 11:50:10 PM »
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »

Great avitar thanks for shareing.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 12:05:35 AM »

Great avitar thanks for shareing.

my caddy stood MUCH closer than eric's

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:14 AM »

Just trying to help.

paul cowley

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »
Paul Cowley, In all seriousness among the great dunes courses in the world what would the closest comparison be from your travels?

Greg....in all seriousness ;)...Diamante is closest in nature to many of the wilder Irish links courses, with the main difference, or contrast being that Diamante is open sand and sparse vegetation, while the Irish links are well vegetated.....a result of 6" versus 50" inches of rain.

But the bones are the same having been created by the wind's efforts.

Diamante is a very strong site....the main dune ridge is 160' tall at #11....diminishes to about 20' at the bisecting arroyo....then climbs again to 130' or so on the front nine.

Diamante is stronger than Ballybunion Old, and more similar to it's sister course, the Cashen.....where you have a large, but steep and tightly spaced interdunal system. I am not overly fond of the Cashen course, but love the site....it was a missed opportunity...one that I would enjoy restructuring if given the chance.

The main things I would like to see completed are:

#1 is fine except for some addition de vegging in the tee areas, and re vegging of the smaller right side dune edge.

#2 is fine.

#3 I would like to deveg a little more while opening up more open sand areas on both sides.

#4 is fine as long as the small dune area separating the landing areas is keep clean of growth that causes on to lose too many balls....too much risk and not enough reward when one wants to play one of the bolder options.

#5 is fine.

#6 is fine....but could benefit by opening more sand areas in the throat and around the green.

#7 is fine.

#8 is fine.

#9 is fine, regardless of the false front. It surprises me that this hole is consistently one of the favorites.

#10 needs additional edge treatment on both sides.

#11 is fine.

#12 needs additional edge treatment, and the right side fairway bunker needs to be more ragged in keeping with the character of the rest of the course.. It also needs revegging behind the green.

#13 needs a new waste bunker at the base of the left side mound to help define the driving area. Needs detailing on the right side, and also needs a more rugged look to the left green side bunker.

#14 will be fine after I knock down the dune about 20' on the left side off the tee, similar to the work that was done to open up the second landing area.

#15 is fine as long as they keep the weed growth down.

#16 is fine.

#17 needs an additional tee on the back ridge to the left of the cart path. The angle is superior to the existing third tee....which then could be switched over for use on #16 as a new third tee....a good looking shot from there.

# 18 is fine.

I could do most of this work in about two weeks with a backhoe and two or three amigos, without interrupting play.

Sometime its hard for people to appreciate the need for these type of changes until the are implemented.

Hope to see you soon!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:33:39 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back