News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: THE LOST PHOTOS OF CABO..................OT
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
So typical of this business...an opening is really a closing for me....I need to finish the course...not sure I will be able to.

Paul, Are there specific areas that you feel are incomplete in your mind? Watched a Mich State game with Bill the other night and chatted about the construction process which is obviously his passion and he shared some info of which I was not aware such as original green location for hole 13. To that I say... Why Paul Why???? And while he is not thrilled with the mowing preference for 9 green (what super would be) I believe given the severity of the slope it was a must. You would probably be pleased to know I have been able to get it up and in from just short on more than one ocassion by running it up the slope with a 5 iron... something I would not try if it were fairway length grass. That said I believe the approach rather severe for the average player even if they had a wedge... AND THEY DO NOT AS YOU KNOW.

Finally encountered the back left hole location on 14 and made birdie... I will be going directly to 15 tee from 13 green forever more! OK, OK... no wind that day!

Glad to see you are figuring out the course and starting to score.

#9 was designed as a solid par 4.5 for most players....and there is no penalty for going long, as there is a backstop.....similar to #17 and especially #7. ;)

After great birdie opportunities on #1,4,6, and 8 its time to hitch up the pants at 9 and 10....both 4.5's!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:08:34 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »

Paul,

It is great as is. 14 is one of the strongest holes in all of golf. Just wish I could show it. When is your next trip planned?

Anthony

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »
Paul Cowley, In all seriousness among the great dunes courses in the world what would the closest comparison be from your travels?

Greg....in all seriousness ;)...Diamante is closest in nature to many of the wilder Irish links courses, with the main difference, or contrast being that Diamante is open sand and sparse vegetation, while the Irish links are well vegetated.....a result of 6" versus 50" inches of rain.

But the bones are the same having been created by the wind's efforts.

Diamante is a very strong site....the main dune ridge is 160' tall at #11....diminishes to about 20' at the bisecting arroyo....then climbs again to 130' or so on the front nine.

Diamante is stronger than Ballybunion Old, and more similar to it's sister course, the Cashen.....where you have a large, but steep and tightly spaced interdunal system. I am not overly fond of the Cashen course, but love the site....it was a missed opportunity...one that I would enjoy restructuring if given the chance.

The main things I would like to see completed are:

#1 is fine except for some addition de vegging in the tee areas, and re vegging of the smaller right side dune edge.
Interesting, I would have thought you would consider an additional tee for calm days... perfect length for a guy like me as the center bunker on second shot challenges a shortish hitter but guys like Enrique can hit short irons in regularly.

#2 is fine. It is better than fine

#3 I would like to deveg a little more while opening up more open sand areas on both sides. My guess is this your least favorite hole on the course... just kinda bland in the overall scheme... ever consider a pot bunker in the ridgeline about 280 off the tee? probably a terrible thought in that all it would do would be gather a bad second from a high handicapper while not changing the play from the tee for the good player

#4 is fine as long as the small dune area separating the landing areas is keep clean of growth that causes on to lose too many balls....too much risk and not enough reward when one wants to play one of the bolder options. Agree and have not seen that as yet, playing from their is nearly impossible but hey, you have a huge area left to hit it to

#5 is fine.

#6 is fine....but could benefit by opening more sand areas in the throat and around the green.

#7 is fine. Really? I mean really?  ;)

#8 is fine. Love it, actually one of my favorite holes on the course. Everything about the hole is cool and fun

#9 is fine, regardless of the false front. It surprises me that this hole is consistently one of the favorites. OF WHO? No entiendo Seņor! Would have athought a huge Cypress Point #8 like green would have been in the cards here but Bill did not the flows that can come raging through the arroyo whcih may have promted a perched green. I honestly find it hard to believe this would be on any person's "top 10 holes at Diamante"

#10 needs additional edge treatment on both sides. Two things stoood out from day one here - 1. The chanegs to the bunkers on the right were necessary and great... they stood out like dog's you know what before and 2. the bunker up the left side 40-90 yards short is not necessary... hole is tough enough and a continuation of the lowish chipping area could make the hole more palatable... nope never been in the bunker bfore either if you were wondering. Interesting thing here is this hole is simply a 4 or a 5; not likely to make 3 and unlikely to make 6 whether that is good, bad or neither I am not sure

#11 is fine. And then some

#12 needs additional edge treatment, and the right side fairway bunker needs to be more ragged in keeping with the character of the rest of the course.. It also needs revegging behind the green. Great placement of the bunker for the second shot... makes all the difference in the world. That said believe it would be more attractive and equally as effective if left to be an oen expanse of the wast are to it's left.. more in keeping with the rest of the feel which this hole needs as much as any

#13 needs a new waste bunker at the base of the left side mound to help define the driving area. Needs detailing on the right side, and also needs a more rugged look to the left green side bunker.
Bunker or just reintroduction of the scrubby waste up the hill. I like the idea as I have twice hit drives that seemed perfect to be in the junk beyond the ridge

#14 will be fine after I knock down the dune about 20' on the left side off the tee, similar to the work that was done to open up the second landing area. No thoughts of mellowing the landing area... left side does not really seem to be a realistic option given it's lack of width and the prevailing wind

#15 is fine as long as they keep the weed growth down.

#16 is fine. #16 is maddening but yes... fine

#17 needs an additional tee on the back ridge to the left of the cart path. The angle is superior to the existing third tee....which then could be switched over for use on #16 as a new third tee....a good looking shot from there. Great change/addition... and when the first lady with 50 mph clubhead speed and willing to pop for an oceanfront home then encounters the aroach shot...  ;)

# 18 is fine.

I could do most of this work in about two weeks with a backhoe and two or three amigos, without interrupting play.

Sometime its hard for people to appreciate the need for these type of changes until the are implemented.

Hope to see you soon!

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate your thoughts... fun to compare a professional's with one's own interpretation

Greg Tallman

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »

Paul,

It is great as is. 14 is one of the strongest holes in all of golf. Just wish I could show it. When is your next trip planned?

Anthony

Paul's suggested changes would greatly enhance the hole and if owner willing I would guess Paul could tweak away at this already excellent hole for years and continue to make it better.

paul cowley

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
Anthony....none planned but working on it...thanks, wish I could have joined!

Greg....seven is so simple if you just overclub it by two and let it fly...it will come right back to the pin...trust me! :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
Anthony....none planned but working on it...thanks, wish I could have joined!

Greg....seven is so simple if you just overclub it by two and let it fly...it will come right back to the pin...trust me! :)

Overclub on a 305 yard par 3...  ;) Front left pin is a bit tough though!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back