News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Broken Record
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »

How often do we see posted this site is not what it used to be? What did it used to be? What do the complainers contribute today? What kind of threads do we need more/less of?

Interested

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: Broken Record
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »
Funny I was just going to post how great some of the threads we've had recently imo, from the now (in)famous North Shore thread, to pictures showing how one of the bunkers was built at Old Mac, to the founding of what it sure to be another great GCA tournament located in the Midwest, to a beautiful photo tour of the underrated Cal Club, and of course not too long ago a thread of pictures of that scruffy caddy at Harbour Town! I mean what more do people want from GCA???
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:10:38 PM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »
Anthony,

I haven't been on here a lot lately, but I sure used to be.

I don't what, specifically, is being complained about.

The site used to have the ability to sign in with a fictitious name, on the spot. The humor involved with that anonymity used to be hilarious but potentially harmful to certain clubs/ individuals/ egos. I admit I laughed at a lot of stuff that offended someone else...right or wrong.

Other than that, time has depleted(or regurgitated) many topics, so there's a freshness that may be lost.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Eric Smith

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »
Anthony,

I haven't been on here a lot lately, but I sure used to be.

I don't what, specifically, is being complained about.

The site used to have the ability to sign in with a fictitious name, on the spot. The humor involved with that anonymity used to be hilarious but potentially harmful to certain clubs/ individuals/ egos. I admit I laughed at a lot of stuff that offended someone else...right or wrong.

Other than that, time has depleted(or regurgitated) many topics, so there's a freshness that may be lost.

Joe

Good point Joe.I find it extremely sophmoric when a new guy starts a thread then a scrooge posts "haven't we covered this before and cuts and pastes a thread". How stupid to not realize the turnover.

Anthony

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Anthony,

I wrote about this same subject on the Swedish Chef thread just an hour ago.  I won't go into the sarcasm that I did there, but suffice to say that I think the argument is hackneyed.  I am sure the "oldies" pull enough clout with Ran that if they wanted him too, he would stop allowing "newbies".  

And as I wrote there, if the golden age GCA.com'ers hadn't done such a good job of making this place interesting, then the problem of newbies would never have happened.

But like any hierarchy, it takes time to learn how and what not to do.  I have been known to have that problem from time to time.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:31:03 PM by Ben Sims »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »
Anthony,

I wrote about this same subject of the Swedish Chef thread just an hour ago.  I won't go into the sarcasm that I did there, but suffice to say that I think the argument is hackneyed.  I am sure the "oldies" pull enough clout with Ran that if they wanted him too, he would stop allowing "newbies".  

And as I wrote there, if the golden age GCA.comer's hadn't done such a good job of making this place interesting, then the problem of newbies would never have happened.

But like any hierarchy, it takes time to learn how and what not to do.  I have been known to have that problem from time to time.  

I designed a few bunkers at a local course around 10 years ago so I have minimal experience in redesign. But to here some of these tal;k about newbees is to quote a poster INANE. The newbees keep this site fresh. FISH BAR.

Anthony

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
I think Joe hit is spot on. That stated, I am still a huge fan of the site and can thank GCA for introducing me to many of my closest friends on the planet. However, there is no denying that I miss Tommy N., a steady diet of Rhic Goodale, Barny and even outright lunatics like Johnny Thunders.

The Treehouse used to have a "clubbier" feel to it - with a continuous stream of snarky repartee, provocative - thoroughly "out there" - ideas and some of the most hysterically funny twists and turns of phrase anywhere on the Internet.

Many years ago - before the bomb went off in my perfect little world - I started a thread trying to identify for what purpose we (collectively) *use* this site. I recall the underpinning of my personal conclusions far afield of golf design. Almost like golf architecture provided a loose framework for a bunch of writers, pundits and golf's 'Island of Misfit Toys' to have a place to gather and be weird with those of our smarty-pants ilk.

I just don't feel that vibe much anymore. We always had a freshening wind of newbies, but they generally waded in slowly and to my editor's eye, took a lot more time composing each post before hitting the button. These days, much of the writing looks to me like mediocre chess players frenetically using a clock.

Years ago, not a day went by when I would not fall out of my chair laughing at something here. Now, I see too much deadly serious discourse - as if Charles Krauthammer is monitoring the website.    

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:11:53 PM by Gib Papazian »

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »
Years ago, not a day went by when I would not fall out of my chair laughing at something here. Now, I see too much deadly serious discourse - as if Charles Krauthammer is monitoring the website.    

Rockstar,

I hadn't thought of it that way.  But you're right.  I think the misconception by many newbies is that seriousness was a prerequisite to be taken seriously around here.  Complain about the writing style and creativity being taught in schools, but inflection based writing is an art form and hardly as easy as you make it seem.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:58:28 PM by Ben Sims »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »

Gib,

I like the idea of it being a "Golf Mens Club" but the older members do very little to promote it as such . They are consistantly negative...Hell..some refuse to have lunch with the younger members. Anyone in business knows the success of the future lies in youth and new members/patients/ customers/posters.

Anthony

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
Wow Ben, I think its really strange that you talk about not allowing new people when you're the newest guy posting on this thread. So, if what you post was the case, then you'd likely not be here. I'd love to see new members, especially ones who will be active on the boards and contribute to the discussion.

Anthony-I agree with what you say to a point, but Tom Paul and others have had the gatherings in Philly the last two years that were open to all. Wish I could have been there. I don't think its as much that they won't have lunch with new guys, but new guys go about asking in the wrong way, I know I did some stuff when I first joined that probably rubbed some of the long standing members the wrong way.

Though I do think that the older members tend to come from the elite club crowd and the newer people come more from the public/mid-range private crowd. I can say that I've played a good number of courses and probably played over 1000 rounds of golf, but I've bet that not more than 25 of those rounds have been played on private country club courses, less than 5 at really "elite" courses. That seems to be the difference in the old and new bunch.

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »
John,

If you think I'm campaigning for no new members, you're not drinking what I'm pouring.

I am saying that the REASON for all the new guys--like me--is that the site was so good for so long.  So the golden era guys can blame themselves for the new blood based on what they produced here in 2000-05.

Make sense?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
For the benefit of our younger readers, a 'Record' is how music used to be reproduced before the advent of the Ipod, the MP3 and the WAV file.
It was a flat, usually round, usually black plastic implement with a spiral groove into which a small piece of diamond was inserted and vibrated.
When they were 'broken', they tended to repeat small phrases ad nauseum, hence the title of this thread.
Best wishes,
your kindly Uncle Marty.

PS Next episode: 'The Betamax videotape'.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »
For the benefit of our younger readers, a 'Record' is how music used to be reproduced before the advent of the Ipod, the MP3 and the WAV file.
It was a flat, usually round, usually black plastic implement with a spiral groove into which a small piece of diamond was inserted and vibrated.
When they were 'broken', they tended to repeat small phrases ad nauseum, hence the title of this thread.
Best wishes,
your kindly Uncle Marty.

PS Next episode: 'The Betamax videotape'.
Last year I dusted down my turntable and put an LP on.  "What's that big black CD for?" was the question from my 13 year old.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
 Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be!  ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »

I have golfed with Ben Sims, Mac Plumart, Steve Salemaen And Jim Thornton (please excuse my poor spelling) all who were members after me. solely because I view ourselves as equalls and members of the same faternity that trhink golf is great for the land it is played on and the people that play it. Has this been lost by the ones that came before me?

Anthony

John Moore II

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »
John,

If you think I'm campaigning for no new members, you're not drinking what I'm pouring.

I am saying that the REASON for all the new guys--like me--is that the site was so good for so long.  So the golden era guys can blame themselves for the new blood based on what they produced here in 2000-05.

Make sense?

Yeah, I get what you are saying now.

Gib-What did happen to Rich Goodale? I was good for a while and all of a sudden, he was permanently gone.

Marty-Make sure you describe the 8 track too.  ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »

WAKE UP.....the ones complaining about the new guys are the ones that businesses depend on new clients.

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
Another effect of time on this website:

It used to be informational, yet obscure enough to be your self. Now there are a lot more commercial ramifications, so care must be forefront in the posts of folks in the industry. If anyone doubts that a lot of business has occurred due to this place, they are naive.

I used to be a lot goofier, and a lot funnier(in my own opinion, more than likely) than now because I realize the reach of this website and the way things can come across in the electronic world.

I liked me better before, too.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »
Another effect of time on this website:

It used to be informational, yet obscure enough to be your self. Now there are a lot more commercial ramifications, so care must be forefront in the posts of folks in the industry. If anyone doubts that a lot of business has occurred due to this place, they are naive.

I used to be a lot goofier, and a lot funnier(in my own opinion, more than likely) than now because I realize the reach of this website and the way things can come across in the electronic world.

I liked me better before, too.

Joe

Understand...I've got tons of patients from this site.

Anthont

John Moore II

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 06:40:25 PM »
I think we should all just go to using nicknames instead of real names. PM out a master list of who is who, and just go from there.

I will admit that I talk a lot more openly now that I don't work at a club because I'm not worried about stepping on any toes within the business.

Pat Burke

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »
What is missing??  I really don't have a clear answer either.
I participated on various sites over the years, and it still impresses me, the time many give
to the subjects in here.  Jeff Brauer, Tom Doak,Mike (and many others), typically give of themselves and their abilities
in ways that I am very impressed with, and I thank all who do.
What I do not particularly like, is the "I'm right and you're wrong" mentality of some. and the inevitable personal
nature some of those conversations take.  BUT, I am an adult, with a somewhat functioning brain, so I just avoid
the threads, that I believe at least, are heading that way.  If guys want to get in pissing matches, it seems a site like this
is perfect, I just prefer to ignore it, and read what interests me.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »

It is strange how someone that has never been across the pond can spout venum to a new member who has many more top courses under his belt, just bcause he's been on the site longer. I spent the new year touring courses that are on the tour and top 10 new courses in a taxi with a man named Jesus to come back and look at critical posts from someone that can't fit on a airplane seat.

Anthony

John Moore II

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »

It is strange how someone that has never been across the pond can spout venum to a new member who has many more top courses under his belt, just bcause he's been on the site longer. I spent the new year touring courses that are on the tour and top 10 new courses in a taxi with a man named Jesus to come back and look at critical posts from someone that can't fit on a airplane seat.

Anthony

Anthony, you need to calm down friend. And please tell me that you aren't talking about me in the above post. Because if you are, we're about to have issues.

Ben Sims

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »

Anthony

Anthony, you need to calm down friend. And please tell me that you aren't talking about me in the above post. Because if you are, we're about to have issues.

Words mean many things to many people folks.  Like for instance if I said to John, "I'm a stickler for protocol, call me Captain."  He would probably be pissed and think I was referring to his rank or otherwise.  Whereas Brad Fleischer, or Jim Colton or even Gib would probably say, "Shut the hell up flyboy". 

It's all about inflection and who knows you.  Otherwise, we would all be wise to use emoticons liberally and personal IM's those which we differ.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back